mtbr member

Idea! Any Tip's on Building up a Big Dummy?

Hi All,
    I have just ordered a new Green Dummy.
    Do you all have any tip's on Building up a Dummy from a frameset?

I have just finished building up My new rear wheel

Any Tip's on Building up a Big Dummy?-8765473836_20a430f30e_c.jpg

Phil Wood hub, DT spokes, and Mavic EX721 rim.

Pete..

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    First tip: Rebuild your wheels for disc brakes. You got the tabs, use 'em. You'll want it. I have DH hydraulics on mine and still could use more power.

Put as many gears on as possible. Get a big range in the back. Get the smallest granny you can.

Surly just released their new rack and bag system. Mine is showing up today. Looks a lot better than the Xtra cycle stuff.

Put a cushion on for any passengers.

mtbr member
    DISC BRAKES are absolutely essential on the Big Dummy -- not even a question.

Get a good kickstand.

Use Whatchamacollars.

Whatever you use for a deck, make sure it attaches via bolted hooks.

Don't cut your steerer tube prematurely -- you will want your handlebar high.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Yeah... tip #1: Budget a good 50% more than you think you're spending for extras! This is a bike that loves them. (Bags, racks, Peapod seat, stoker bar, foot pegs, wide-loaders, etc.) I love my big dummy, but even with the DIY additions I've made, it's been an extra hunk geting it kitted out the way I like.

I agree with Matt that you want some REALLY good brakes. I have the discs on my dummy, and the only thing I dislike about them is the inertia I lose when I use them. I'm told that canti's / v-brakes / etc. should have the same stopping power as the discs, but even with nice bike-shop adjusted canti's on my cross-check my Dummy still stops easier and faster with the BB5 disc brakes. Maybe it's a road vs mountain lever issue, but you will DEFINITELY want some good brakes.

Beyond that, have fun! It's a great bike and nearly endlessly customizeable.

One question though... a new GREEN dummy? Did you manage to find an old-style Dummy frame that's never been used? Great find! I've always liked the look of the swoop top-tube, although I have the newer straight version. All the new Dummys from QBP are in Grey (or black for last year's model)..

mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm

Hi All,
    Brakes
    I'm over Disc Brakes (over 30 years as a Motorcycle Mech) I'm just over them and when friends say I must have disc brakes on my MTB etc! I say go on and ride my bike and get to watch them go over the Bars
    They ask how my brakes are so good? well it's in the set up.

So I'll be running with rim brake's again, I just had a pair of Phil Wood hubs seating around? they were on My Cross Check (My Tour d'Afrique bike)

Surly Dummy Bags, Racks, and Top plate are on there way. I hope to have them by friday.

I'm looking into which kickstand to order? thinking to go with a Xtracycles one?

Looking to see if I can make up a set of Whatchamacollars.

I'm setting it up as a Stall stand at the Saturday Market, I'll be selling Walnuts and Walnuts oils etc.

I have find all the parts to build up my Dummy from my parts boxes! almost all new parts? I have had to remove the Headset from my Africa Bike (CC). I hope it will be OK its a Chris King with up dated top GripLockô bearing cap. Middleburn RS7 cranks. etc.

Any more tips apart from Brakes

Thanks Pete

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    If you want a center stand, you might consider the Rolling Jackass, which has been well-reviewed on the forums here. The only complaint is the price (high), but it WORKS, and works WELL. My Dummy is a family cycle, and the RJ is more than worth the price to me.

A BD as a mobile stall-stand? That sounds interesting. Good luck!

mtbr member

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by evandy View Post
    If you want a center stand, you might consider the Rolling Jackass, which has been well-reviewed on the forums here. The only complaint is the price (high), but it WORKS, and works WELL. My Dummy is a family cycle, and the RJ is more than worth the price to me.

A BD as a mobile stall-stand? That sounds interesting. Good luck!
    Hi Thanks,
    I have been trying to find photo's of how its made and works?
    All the Photo's I have come across look like its made in a back shed and needs some finishing off? Then there is the price!
    I'm think more to go with a Xtracycles Kickstand? just do not know about the spring?

Pete

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I just did a google search on "rolling jackass center stand" and got some good pictures, so I would give that a try.

In terms of the spring, what's your question? It keeps the stand retracted when not in use. I think the xtracycle stand uses a bungee cord for the same purpose. I haven't tried the xtracycle stand, but I hear there are some issues using it with wide loaders or other accessories; I would ask around for some thoughts from those who have used it though.

EDIT: I see now you were concerned about the fit & finish of the stand. There is an aluminum mounting plate, that I suspect is what you are referring to. It's maybe 5" square, and provides mounting points for the stand, brake cable, and mounts to the rest of the frame. The legs of the stand are power-coated steel, and are made in several different colors to match your frame. The mounting plate does look a bit raw, but I don't think it's a huge deal. Most if it is covered up by bags and the bike, and you can only see a little of it unless you're really looking for it. The brake-lever deployment option is really nice with an unstable load (like kids), since I can get the bike up on the stand while still straddling it.

A lot depends on your own personal needs and choices. I expect you'll enjoy whatever center stand you end up with.
    Last edited by evandy; 05-22-2013 at 10:31 AM.

mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm Kickstand

Quote Originally Posted by evandy View Post
    I see now you were concerned about the fit & finish of the stand. There is an aluminum mounting plate, that I suspect is what you are referring to. It's maybe 5" square, and provides mounting points for the stand, brake cable, and mounts to the rest of the frame. The legs of the stand are power-coated steel, and are made in several different colors to match your frame. The mounting plate does look a bit raw, but I don't think it's a huge deal.
    Hi Yes I have been looking at the finish of the Aluminum mounting plate It looks unfinished and for the Money very Raw.

If its not finished well is it made well ??
    Any help with this would be a great Help

Pete

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by NZPeterG View Post
    If its not finished well is it made well ??
    Any help with this would be a great Help
    It's definitely made well, NO question there. I am an engineer, so a bit of functional metal doesn't bother me too much. I would say that the mounting plate vs wide-loader bars is one of two big differences between the RJ and the Xtra-cycle stand (the other being the brake-lever deployment on the RJ). Both stands have to solve two problems: Stay out of the way when not in use, and support a heck of a lot of weight when in use.

The xtracycle stand uses the horizontal accessory tubes as a pivot. As a result, there is no need for extra mounting hardware and they can make their stand much more cheaply. But, as a downside, the stand can interfere with certain accessories since It uses the space designed for them. I hear this is especially an issue with the foot-pegs and running boards, which makes sense as they sit close to the frame.

The Rolling-Jackass design keeps the horizontal accessory tubes free, but as a result needs a way to support a lot of weight without crushing, bending, or otherwise compromising the frame. So the downside here is a large plate to distribute the weight across the tubes of the bike. Not being a mechanical engineer, I can't say how easy it would be to streamline the plate and make it smaller without compromising structure, but I suspect they could knock off a few corners if they really wanted too. This would, of course, cost more. I'm sure you can (carefully) try this yourself if you /really/ want to, although you risk breaking your expensive center stand. Everyone who has reviewed the RJ here (including myself) has had absolutely NO question about functionality, durability, and quality of the build. It's actually pretty elegantly put together, functional, simple, and a great piece of design.

Summary: If you care about cost more than free accessory slots, go with the Xtracycle stand. If you don't want any interference with accessory slots or the brake-lever deployment and don't mind a little more money go with the RJ. Looks are in the eye of the beholder, so I'll let you call that one as you feel best.

Does that help at all? I'm happy to try and answer any additional questions if you like... although I'm sure you can contact Haulin' Colin, the manufacturer of the RJ, if you have any additional questions. He's generally pretty responsive and helpful.

mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm Finished building up my new Dummy

Well I have finished building up my new Big Dummy
    Fitting the New Dummy Bags was a little hard! working out how to fit them...

Got there in the end
    Still have to work out about Kickstand?

Pete

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Congratulations! Looking forward to some pictures

mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm Home after 1st Market Day

Hi All
    Well I have finished (almost) My Dummy

This Photo is of My after just getting home from my 1st Market Day Selling Walnuts, and Walnut Oils (and More).

I have find my V-Brakes Great (like always) I live at the top of a big hill so going to market is all down hill

Today I have Lowered my Handlebars as they were too high.

Still looking into Kickstand, and a few more things

Here is a Photo of My Dummy before lowering my Handlebars

Any Tip's on Building up a Big Dummy?-8838422345_3a7cf189e7_c.jpg

Pete

mtbr member
    I got one of the first batch of BD's and built it from a frame as there was no complete option. I blogged about it here:

Vik's Big Dummy
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm

Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    I got one of the first batch of BD's and built it from a frame as there was no complete option. I blogged about it here:

Vik's Big Dummy
    Hi Vik
    Yes I find your blog a few weeks ago and it has been a great Help Thanks.
    Are the first Dummy's lighter? as I have find my Dummy Flexing a Lot?
    I checked my load weight and worked it out to about 45kg's?

If any one can help with this?

Pete

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NZPeterG View Post
    Hi Vik
    Yes I find your blog a few weeks ago and it has been a great Help Thanks.
    Are the first Dummy's lighter? as I have find my Dummy Flexing a Lot?
    I checked my load weight and worked it out to about 45kg's?

If any one can help with this?

Pete

I don't know if there are any changes to the BD of note that would affect how stiff it is. It's a long bike so there is definitely some flex for sure, but I have carried over 200lbs of passengers and cargo without issue.

In the image above you can see I used two toe clip straps at each end of the vertical racks and tightened them down well. This tensioned the vertical racks and took any play out of them. If you haven't done that I would give it a try.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    In the image above you can see I used two toe clip straps at each end of the vertical racks and tightened them down well. This tensioned the vertical racks and took any play out of them. If you haven't done that I would give it a try.
    Which deck is that, Vik? I have the Xtra TekDeck on mine, with the super-hooks, and I find that the hooks keep everything really solid without any help. That said, I've seen a lot of people who NEED that toe-stap with the original snap-deck.

Surly's system with the bolt-on deck probably doesn't need the toe-stap either, I bet.....