mtbr member
    May 2010

Alternative wheelset for ECR

Does anyone run a wheel set other than rabbit holes on there ECR? I have read they raise the bar height which is handy in rocky terrain. But the $$?! Does anyone run an alternative wheelset? Fwiw I'm going 11x1 gearing.
    Last edited by LBCwanabe; 01-26-2016 at 07:31 PM. Reason: Typo

mtbr member
    The wheels will have no affect on bar height, since they raise the whole bike at the same time.

A lot of people run Velocity Blunt 35 or similar rims with 29+ tires with good results (including me).

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I've been running Rabbit Holes and have been happy. Ghetto tubeless is easy enough to set-up and works great. The rims are very durable and have handled many rock strikes without damage. I ride lots of sand so like a 50mm rim, the little float they provide does help.

That said I may switch to WTB Scrapers when I need new wheels.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    if your primary purpose is bikepacking you would would be hard pressed to find a more durable and reliable rim than the rabbit hole...i do run blunt35's on my karate monkey with 3 inch tires but i feel they give less sidewall support than a 50mm rim does so hard cornering can be a bit squirmy...and to combat rim strikes i find i generally have to run the tires at a higher pressure than on a 50mm rim.
    that said im looking to get a set of industry9 wheels built on hugo rims,i understand the "V2" version arent as prone to dings as the first batch...

mtbr member
    I am also running the velocity blunt 35s, ideally will build another set using RH, dually or something else wider for winter and summer. The wider rims dont raise the bike anymore than a narrower rim running the same tire. They spread the profile of the tire to provide a greater contact patch resulting in more stability. Im pretty sure mine would handle snow alot better with a wider rim, but if thats not your concern get whatever is on sale that can still run knards.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Thanks for all of the replies. I meant to say in my OP that I read using regular 29er wheels would lower the BOTTOM BRACKET not bar height. So that being said: anyone have experience with regular size 29er wheels on the ECR? Is it really as low as they say? The geometry looks nearly identical to the LHT. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LBCwanabe View Post
    Thanks for all of the replies. I meant to say in my OP that I read using regular 29er wheels would lower the BOTTOM BRACKET not bar height. So that being said: anyone have experience with regular size 29er wheels on the ECR? Is it really as low as they say? The geometry looks nearly identical to the LHT. Thanks!
    I have a LHT and the BB is low for a bike you want to take off pavement. For smooth surfaces it's fine which makes sense as it is a road tourer.

No need to go through a hypothetical exercise here. If you own a ECR get a set of 2.4" 29er tires and put them on your current wheels to see how you feel about the BB height.

If you don't have some 29er tires your LBS probably has some take offs or worn out ones you can have for free or a 6 pack of beer.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Never even thought about regular 29er wheels on my ECR. It is just such a good bike with 29+ and was designed for that tire/rim combo. With 29+ the bottom bracket height is not an issue and I can ride anywhere.

Why do you want to run 29er wheels on the ECR?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    The velocity Dually is an option. You can use that rim for Knards as well as standard 29 touring style tyres such as the Schwalbe marathon mondail 29er x 2.00 (622-50)
    If you are trying to get a bike for all purpose then that could be worth some consideration.