mtbr member
    Nov 2008

700c clearance in 26" Disc Trucker fork?

For those of you with 26" Disc Truckers (or 26" LHT's), would you do me a favor?

I'm interested in how much clearance the fork has with a 700x32 tire (preferably a Pasela), measured from the top of the tire to the bottom of the fork crown. A picture or two would be golden!

I'd like to put a 26" Disc Trucker fork on my Steamroller. Both forks have the same axle-to-crown distance, so the geometry stays the same. Ideally I'd like to run a 32mm Pasela and fenders, but it could be tight.

Many thanks!!

CS2
    mtbr member
    How about a 650B?
    1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1992 Stumpjumpers. 1995 Waterford 1200, 1999 Waterford RSE, plus a garage full of steel frames.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Well, I don't have a Disc Trucker, but I do have 32mm Paselas mounted on my Cross Check. So I measured the height of the tire with my calipers and came up with 29mm. The tire plus the rim, Mavic MA-3, is 47mm. Don't know how the MA-3's measure up against your rims, but seem "normal" sized enough to me. So a little beer math...700c wheel is actually 622mm in diameter or 311mm in radius. 311 radius + 47 tire/rim height = 358mm total wheel/tire combo radius. DT fork ATC is 376mm. So, you should clear it by not quite a couple cm. ...in theory, at least. ...unless you have a crazy tall rim. Width-wise, my Paselas measure 32mm right on the nose (and that's with probably 70 psi or so, because I haven't aired them up in a few weeks) Surly doesn't list the width of the fork, but my Mark 1 Eyeball says it should fit, even though the fork tapers a bit near the crown. So, how's that for a WAG? Don't think its quite enough info to make a purchasing decision, but helpful a little anyway I hope.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by keevohn View Post
    For those of you with 26" Disc Truckers (or 26" LHT's), would you do me a favor?

I'm interested in how much clearance the fork has with a 700x32 tire (preferably a Pasela), measured from the top of the tire to the bottom of the fork crown. A picture or two would be golden!

I'd like to put a 26" Disc Trucker fork on my Steamroller. Both forks have the same axle-to-crown distance, so the geometry stays the same. Ideally I'd like to run a 32mm Pasela and fenders, but it could be tight.

Many thanks!!
    The rake is dramatically different between the forks. Not sure how that will effect handling.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    bolandjd -
    That's helpful, thanks! It didn't occur to me to just measure the height of my Pasela + Delgado Cross combo... duh! Although your measurements don't account for the thickness of the fork crown, 20mm+ between the top of the tire and the crown race should be ample.

Saddle Up -
    You're absolutely right about the rake. I've found that the handling feels a little sluggish with the stock 38mm fork and 32mm tires. 45mm rake would sharpen things up nicely!