mtbr member
    Oct 2004

6901 bearings for surly new hubs

So I'm looking to put 6901 bearings in my surly new hubs. I don't want to pay for the ultra conversion kit because they already have qr axles.

Question;
    Which bearings should I buy and from where. Bike shops around here only carry enduro max which can't take the side loads a wheel puts out..

mtbr member
    I've always just bought the cheap enduros (the blue ones) off Jenson. They tend to last about a year (to be fair I do get them wet fairly often).

Phil Wood makes a 6901, that is probably what I would go with if I was still riding my surly hubs as much as I used to (I probably will eventually but not sure when I'll need new bearings again)
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

Abby Normal
    Not to muddy the waters, but I have to say the conversion kit is pretty nice. I'm one of 'those guys' that has had issues getting the play out of the adjustable bearings in the New hubs. The new internals make it a no brainer for sure, and it's nicely made stuff.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    ^^Same experience for me

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    sorry to ask, but what conversion kit are you talking about? I also have the same issues with my surly hubs in my pugsley, and Im close to just get a new front hub and re-lace the wheel...

Abby Normal
    This should solve your problems:

Surly Ultra New Hub Axle Kit > Components > Wheel Goods > Axles | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

Installation video here (which is pretty funny):

Surly Ultra New Hub Axle Kit Installation Walkthrough - YouTube

I 'upgraded' my rear SS hub the other day - works great, makes bearing installation a set it and forget it affair.

PS - if you are installing this yourself you will need something to remove the old 7901 bearings, Jenson sells a cheap tool for that.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Thanks for the feedback. I ended up buying 4 ezo 6901 bearings from a local bearing shop for $35. About half the price of the kits.

Abby Normal
    Yeah, definitely cheaper to just swap to 6901 bearings. But you still have to futz with the initial adjustment and removing the bearings is more of a hassle than with the conversion kit. I have only 'upgraded' my rear hub (which was the solid bolt on axle style) and will probably do the front when I am ready to replace those bearings.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Holmes View Post
    Yeah, definitely cheaper to just swap to 6901 bearings. But you still have to futz with the initial adjustment and removing the bearings is more of a hassle than with the conversion kit. I have only 'upgraded' my rear hub (which was the solid bolt on axle style) and will probably do the front when I am ready to replace those bearings.
    How did you pull the bearings?

Abby Normal
    Quote Originally Posted by edge View Post
    How did you pull the bearings?
    I use this el cheapo tool -Abi Enduro Cartridge Bearing Puller > Accessories > Tools > Freehub and Cog tools | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop