Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    get down!

at 6'2" do I go 58cm or 60cm Crosscheck?

Currently riding a Lemond Filmore in a 59cm which is close to the same geo of a 59cm Steamroller, and a 58cm Fisher Cronus. I'm looking at either getting another Steamroller in a 59cm or a Crosscheck because I like that I could put some Big Apples on it or run it 1x9 for better commuting/grocery getting.

I was all set on the 60cm because the standover is not an issue and the top tube is only a smidge longer than the Lemond, but now I'm having my doubts. I also like the bigger headtube of the 60cm vs. the 58.

What say ye!?
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    get the 60 or 62

mtbr member
    Another vote for the 60. I'm 6'3" and ride a 62:

get down!
    looking good, looking good! thanks yall

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I have been through the ringer on this.. I'm also 6'2"... Ride a very comfortable 59cm Steamroller and love the way it fits... And was going to upgrade to a geared cross check but both a 58 and a 60 felt like a compromise one way or the other... The 58 was going to be MY final choice but to each their own... Although I love Surly bikes (I have a Steamroller and a Dummy) because the sizing is so weird for me on the cross check, Im thinking about getting a 59cm Handsome Devil instead of the Cross Check because it seems to fall right in between, geometry wise...

get down!
    Quote Originally Posted by RekibTaf
    I have been through the ringer on this.. I'm also 6'2"... Ride a very comfortable 59cm Steamroller and love the way it fits... And was going to upgrade to a geared cross check but both a 58 and a 60 felt like a compromise one way or the other... The 58 was going to be MY final choice but to each their own... Although I love Surly bikes (I have a Steamroller and a Dummy) because the sizing is so weird for me on the cross check, Im thinking about getting a 59cm Handsome Devil instead of the Cross Check because it seems to fall right in between, geometry wise...
    dude! don't do that to me...it doesn't look like Handsome has any bikes to sell? I sent them an email, weird that they are in Minnesota as well...and it's very crosscheck-ish...hmmmm

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I think April for availability.

mtbr member
    While I 6'2... I went through a Surly sizing dilemma as well. I'm 5' 11 and I bought a 56 LHT, well right off the bat, I knew it wasn't the right fit. I tried to make it feel better by running a 70mm stem, but I could never get totally comfortable. I wish they made the LHT in a 54 (700c wheels), but they dont, so I switched to a 54 CrossCheck.

While I'm a lot happier on the 54, it still feels big. I'm running an 80mm stem. If I didn't get toe overlap on the 52, I would be on that.

Can you get a fitting before you buy the bike? I know at the shop I work at, any bike over $1000 we do a free full fitting before and after you buy the bike to ensure that the right size is purchased.

Adam
    Adam Ann Arbor, MI

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I'm 6'2" and change and have a 58cm that fits like a glove.

Your build and riding style might be a factor. FWIW, I have a slightly long torso, but I come from a MTB background and don't like to be super stretched out over the bike. I could probably manage a 60cm, but it likely wouldn't be as comfy for me.

get down!
    ^ what top tube length do you prefer on your mtb? I usually ride something close to 25"

jct
    mtbr member
    6'3" with a 33" inseam and average length arms. i ride a 60cm CC and a 59cm Steamroller.

the CC fits me well and i use it for racing, trailriding and general crusing.

the steamer is for sale!!!

mtbr member
    I'm 6'3" with more legs than torso. I ride the 62cm with a short stem when riding drop bars and a longer stem for flat bars. I have a BMX background so the stretched out roadie position is really uncomfortable for me. I could have gone with the 60cm and been happy I think.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I'm 6'2" with a 37" inseam. I ride a 62cm, with a 90 cm stem and 28 inch riser bars. It fits great, especially since I like the bars at seat height.

get down!
    Quote Originally Posted by Orkje
    I'm 6'2" with a 37" inseam. I ride a 62cm, with a 90 cm stem and 28 inch riser bars. It fits great, especially since I like the bars at seat height.
    picture?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I'm 6'2' and have a 58cm CC with a 13 stem. It fits and rides wel but I'd go with the 60cm if I had it to do over.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I'm 6'5" with a 62 with a 130 stem.

get down!
    60 cm ordered in black, should be here Friday. Stoked.

Now, time to strip the Filmore down.

Anyone riding creme tires on a crosscheck? Thinking about the 29x2 fat franks.

get down!
    well, got my frame in and have a couple questions...

I don't think the screws for the forward facing dropouts were included, unless I missed them in the box somewhere. Did anyone else not get these? What was your remedy? I know you can run without them, but I find them easier since I'll be going 1x9 or 1x10 most likely.

Question 2, unless something has changed Surly doesn't frame save these puppies, is anyone running them as is? I'm just being lazy here, but it's cold and rainy here in KC and I don't really want to wait for it to be nice to start the build.

Thanks in advance

mtbr member
    Mine came with screws, but I never use them. I like to use the full length of the dropout to run my various gear combos.

No frame saver for me. By 2042 when it rusts out, I'll probably be ready for a new bike.

get down!
    ^ want to mail them to me :-)

thx for your reply..I'll post pictures tomorrow along with a frame & fork weight

get down!

This is a 2.0 Bontrager tire, I hope it fits in the rear as well. Front rim is an Open Pro, I haven't built up a rear wheel yet, but am leaning toward the Salsa Delgado vs. the matching open pro rim.

It was also nice enough for me to get out and linseed the frame..or at least try. I don't know if the process is easier with real frame saver, but that oil is the worst...**** gets everywhere.

get down!
    last update...

weight for 2010 60cm frame is 2409 grams or 5.31 pounds
    new uncut fork w/ rack holes 1122 grams or 2.47 pounds

I'm no weight weenie, just got a table top park scale because I sell a lot of stuff on eBay and people are always asking me weights.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Looks like it's coming together nicely! I'm leaning towards the Delgado rims myself for my Cross Check update. Especially since they are $30 each at Speedgoat right now.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Are Surly back to putting the FFF stickers on cross checks? When I bought mine few years ago mine was missing those, but Surly sent me some for free.

mtbr member

need some sizing help for a crosscheck

I am going to order my Cross Check this week and I wanted some advice on the size. I am 5'8" 31'ish inseam and I am not sure if I should go 52 or 54 and I was wondering if anyone out there was about my size and could clue me in.

Thanks
    Keith
    2007'ish Heckler and 2006 Chameleon
    If anyone needs the help of a prototype/custom machinist let me know.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast