mtbr member
    Feb 2011

6 feet tall... 56cm or 58 Cross Check?

Hi all.
    I'm getting itchy for a Surly Cross Check to run as mainly an off road flared drop bar do it all type bike in SS format.
    I'd like to run the Salsa woodchipper bars and read around the traps that you should roughly have the tops at the same height as the seat.
    I'm 6 feet tall with a 34" inseam and my seat is just over 40" from the ground.
    When I crunch the numbers into the various bike fit charts, they say around a 57cm top tube length "road style" frame.
    As I want to run flared drops and ride most of the time in the drops, maybe the 58cm would help to eliminate a huge stack of spacers to get the bars up a bit higher.
    I could go either way, but thought another fellow surly owner might have a similar setup.
    Thanks John

mtbr member
    I would say at least 58cm. The thing about the dirty drops is that if you want to spend most of the time in the hooks, you need them up pretty high which can be tough on a horiz top tube bike like the czech. I'm 6'3" and ride the 62cm and like the fit. I ride my dirt drops on there with a stubby little 65mm stem and they work nicely. I'd think you could ride a 60cm very comfortably with a shorter reach stem and your dimensions. Maybe you could ask around the shops to see if they know anyone with a CC in both sizes that you could fondle?

Good luck 'bags! CC is a great deal of fun no mater how it's set up. Keep us posted on the progress as well.

-Vault

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    My crosscheck is a 56, and I'm 5'11" (long torso, short legs) cycling inseam of 32"

When I ran woodchippers, I had a 17deg stem, which was needed to get the bars high enough without lots of spacers (spacers are unavoidable due to the short headtube, so get used to it)

I'm now riding Salsa Cowbell 3 bars with a 25deg stem. I mainly ride road/gravel.

I'd say either size would work for you. I'd probably lean towards a smaller size for offroading though.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

mtbr member
    Another vote for 58. I'm 6'3" and ride a 62cm, same as vaultbrad. Remember, though, that your bar height is set by your steerer length, not really the frame. I don't think the head tube length is that different between sizes, but if you're running high bars (which reduces reach) and something like the Woodchipper bar (without a lot of reach), you need some more top tube length to get your reach correct.

mtbr member
    That's a tough call. I'm 6ft w a 33 inseam and i ride a 56. I ride a mix of singletrack and roads with it, and it's great. If i wasn't doing offroad, i'd say a 58 without a doubt. It would leave me with so little stand over, though, that i wouldn't feel as comfortable on it riding off road. either way, you'll love the CC!

mtbr member
    Just go to your local shop that has a size run of Cross Checks and give them a whirl, if your lucky they won't have cut the steertubes and you will have complete control on that size aspect also!

Don't all shops do this?

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Hey thanks lads. After checking out the options, I'm going to grab me a 58cm. I'll post some pics of the final build. Happy trails

mtbr member
    I don't have a CC, but do have the LHT, and measurements similar to yours. I found the 58cm to my liking. The 56mc felt cramped, while the 60cm felt stretched out, even when riding on the hoods.
    Seen on a bumper sticker
    Fight terrorism. Ride a bike.