mtbr member
    Mar 2009

45N Nicotine on Surly Rabbit Hole

Hi: I was thinking about mounting Nicotine tires on Rabbit Hole rims and installing them on a Surly Pugsley. This combination would serve as an alternate wheelset for secondary roads which consist of ice, gravel, light snowpack, etc. Is this idea solid or sketchy? Thank you for your input.
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Have the same idea here, after looking at the tires at the LBS today. I have a pair of Suomo / Nokian Extreme 294s, they are pretty worn - so I might try those first and see how they ride - but they are 2.2s, not the 2.35s in the Nicotine.

LBS said they fit well and work well. He had an ECR, not sure if he ran them on the ECR, but he says he has seen them mounted up.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Bmike: Thanks for the input. It's really hard to spend $450.00 clams on Dillingers, but, it's slippery out there! The Nicotine does not sound confidence inspiring so.....I'm not sure of the solution.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I had demo ride on a set of 29er Schwalbe Ice Spickers Pros last season and for some reason was left unimpressed. I couldn't wait for the 650b Suomi/Nokian studded tires to become available so I took the plunge and picked up a set Ice Spiker Pros in 650b. They are working out really well. I'm riding over 20km a day and as I get more used to how they handle I am becoming more and more impressed with them. I recommend them without hesitation.

Schwalbe Ice Spiker Pro 650b
    by SaddleUpBike, on Flickr

The Rabbit Hole rims would make them even better, my rims are narrow by comparison.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    You think the profile will still have some knob left at the shoulder at 50mm? I'm hoping so. The Spikers are economical enough, I'd love to keep my Krampus running on sketchy days.

Uhhh, ECR dropouts anyone? Does the 'moonlit swamp' green live on, now with OPs drops?

Been waiting to see how Nicotine performs on the RH. Hmmm, not so much, eh?

Anybody got pics of a Spiker Pro on a Rabbit Hole? I'm very close to buying a pair...just wanna know how flat they get on 50mm.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    On Velocity Synergy rims I'm riding mostly on the 3 rows of studs on the centre of the tire. The two outside rows go mostly untouched unless I drop the pressure way down. It's too cold out right now to risk a pinch flat. I would think that with a Rabbit Hole every row of studs would be making contact with the road/ice surface.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

45nrth Nicotine by mbeganyi, on Flickr

45nrth Nicotine by mbeganyi, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Have not ridden them yet. And man I need to clean the shop.

mtbr member
    The Schwalbe's work pretty well on Rabbit Holes too. A friend of mine has the Nicotine's mounted to 47mm rims. They look big and beefy mounted up on the wide rims. Neither of us had any issue on the icy trail.

45N Nicotine on Surly Rabbit Hole-20141203_122122.jpg

45N Nicotine on Surly Rabbit Hole-20141203_122114.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Hmmm, looks like the knobs on the Nicotine hang out a fair bit further and definitely wrap more on the RH than the Spikers.

Mike, any chance you could post a shot sorta front on to get a sense of the width/position of the outside knobs? Does it look to you like decent grip at the shoulder? How much sidewall sits outside the rim? I'm surprised to see how much might be hanging out there beyond the sidewall. Can't tell too much from all the pics I've found. Anyway, looks meatier than I thought it would. Looking forward to the ride report.

I've been really happy with the studded Dillinger 4s and 5s I have, and was a bit bummed at the listed width on the Nicotine, cuz on paper the same kinda fat grip on my Krampus just sounds awesome! Maybe not so much an issue as I thought.

Cheers.

EDIT: I missed the last pic in gypsy's blogpost. You can see the sidewall is out there and the knob edge looks good, too bad his review seems to rate them pretty lackluster as applied to icy urban conditions. The Nic tread is way more snowflow oriented so maybe on trail they fare better.

Did I catch a niner?
    Been looking everywhere has anyone fit a rabbit hole on the rear of a inbred without a knard?
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?
    http://www.activejunky.com/invite/90161/travis-boss

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Some more from today's ride:

Untitled by mbeganyi, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Thanks for the pics!!!