mtbr member
    Sep 2007

2x1 on Crosscheck with Melvin tensioner?

Sorry I also posted this in the drivetrain forum.

I have been a little possessed with running my Cross Check SS or 2x1 (I have been running my MTBs 1x9 and SS.)
    It has a compact crank with 50/34 with 9speed. I was thinking about getting a 20t in the rear and a melvin tensioner. (I probably could go full SS but then I would have to get another front chainring and climbing would probably be miserable)

Anyone done something similar?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I haven't used a Melvin on a Cross Check, but I've run 2x1 for a while on my On One Inbred (I was recovering from a knee injury). I simply used an old rear derailer and it worked flawlessly. The Melvin is said to be able to take a 20 tooth cog as maximum, though I recall seeing a Pugsley with a Melvin and a 22 in the back on these forums.

Performance wise, it's nice to have two gears, but since shifting really does take some skill and time, you somehow keep the singlespeed feel. You do have the additional drag of the pulleys, though.

mtbr member
    Why not try two rings up front and two in the rear? With the CC's long dropouts, you can absorb a 6 tooth change. For instance, I run mine with 34/40 up front, and a 16/19 WI freewheel in the rear. This gives me three usable gears: 34x16 = 57", good for strong headwinds; 34x19 = 48", good for off road, and 40x16 = 68", good for road work (I also keep a 16t fixed cog on the other side of the wheel...)

The beauty of the CC is that you can do so many things without needing a tensioner, why go there? Plus, it's more effective to change the rear than the front. For instance, a 20t jump in the front would only need a 7~10t jump in the rear for an equivalent change.
    WTB: Specialized AWOL XL, Salsa Fargo gen 2 XL, Salsa El Mariachi 2014+ XL
    My blog about bikes and playgrounds.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    @Seat_boy- I like your idea. But I didn't want to deal with getting another hub or actually deal with changing gears by hand. Anyways, I will keep my 2x9 setup for now.

mtbr member
    If you're going to run a shifter, you could think about setting up something like a 1x4: perhaps 38 x 11/16/20/28 or something. You could run it on a normal wheel with spacers, but with big jumps between each gear, you still keep sort on a single speedy feel. Hmmm....this sounds kind of fun! Might be my next CC project.
    WTB: Specialized AWOL XL, Salsa Fargo gen 2 XL, Salsa El Mariachi 2014+ XL
    My blog about bikes and playgrounds.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    11-14-16-18-20-28 I think would be my minimum (that is greater than 1) (this is based on switching from fixed 42x17 to 1x9 42x11-28), 9 is more than I need but if I'm going to gear at all, I think I want more than just a couple.

Actually fixed I have been running 17/19 dingle and switch only every couple months; Novemberish it goes to 19, Aprilish back to 17

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I am going to 'shift' back to that dingle setup from 1x9 when the black ice returns, could be November, could be December. Unless I get tired of cleaning the chain/derailer on the 1x9 setup before then.

mtbr member
    I did 1x6 on my check using spacers and regular cassette hub. Worked quite well. I might try a 1x4 next. Dont have pictures of the 1x6, but here is 2x6.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Not a CC but would work the same, Saddle Up Bike: Two Speed Bicycle

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Thanks SaddleUp. I posted the last question on your blog article!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Awesome, I've since sold the Masi but have a new frame I'm going to build up the same way. There is just enough room to use a 20 tooth cog with the Melvin.

mtbr member
    I'm now 1x5 on my XCheck. Might be a nice happy medium between SS and full gears. Works quite well, and the range seems to be nice. I'm gonna do more riding this weekend, and will post pictures and further review.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Finally, got my Melvin, my 19t cog and spacer kit. (Gave up on the 20t) Hope to get it set up this weekend. The 2X1 experiment begins!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I thought I would finish this thread up. My 50/34 x 19t works great. I didn't cut the chain, so that I can put the 9 gears on when needed. It definitely makes me want to try fixed gear soon. I like the 34 for the rare days I decide to ride some hillier roads in San Pedro. Most of my flat riding is in Long Beach, CA.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2x1  on Crosscheck with Melvin tensioner?-img_0470.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Great setup! I'm glad it has worked out for you!