Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2013

27tpi knard tubeless on the rabbit hole rim

Is anyone running the 27tpi tires tubeless with success? If so what's your setup like?

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I did mine using a split tube over nylon ribbon with tuck tape. It works fine, but the sidewalls of the knards get punctured by anything even vaguely pointy, such as sticks. I am using 4 scoops of stans which seems to be helping to seal the punctures. I will probably go to 120 tpi tires next summer.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I'm planning on running the split tube as well. I'm surprised to hear that about the sidewalls. I have heard several people having problems with them burping though.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    i'm running same set up but with 120tpi, been going strong all year no problems.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Split tubes are probably the best method, but here is what I did: Got rid of the Surly rim strip and ran one layer of Gorilla tape directly on the rims. The sticky side shows thru the holes so I dusted them with talc powder to cut it down. Here later all the tackiness is gone and not much dust or anything has adhered to them. 3 scoops.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I'm running the Knard on P35 using split tube. Been this was the whole season and no issues with burping or sidewall punctures.

Edit: By the way, 120tpi Knard sidewalls are way thinner than 27tpi. If you're having sidewall issues, 120tpi will not work.
    Last edited by phsycle; 10-31-2013 at 08:27 AM.

Mmmm Rocks Good
    Feb 2005
    Sidewall punctures are a real problem for me when I had the 120tpi tire up front. I replaced it w/a 27tpi tire and it has not been punctured yet in 3 months of riding. I run mine tubeless using split tube, Gorilla tape (1 layer) over the Surly rim strip. Tires air up w/a floor pump! 3 scoops of Stans.
    Big, strong, rock crushing, IPA drinking, big hit bike rider!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    What's the purpose if the gorilla tape? I set mine up split tube with only the surly strip.

Mmmm Rocks Good
    Feb 2005
    I used the Gorilla tape in conjunction w/the liners for 2 reasons. 1) It made it so I wasn't dealing w/sticky crap facing up through the "rabbit" holes and 2) it made it much easier to air the tire up because the tire had contact with something pretty much all the way around the rim. Made it possible to air up with a floor pump.
    Big, strong, rock crushing, IPA drinking, big hit bike rider!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Oh OK. I struggled a bit getting the tires to seat using a compressor but I finally did with the help of lots of soapy water and pinning the wheel between the ground the wall and my leg at the same time.

mtbr member

27tpi knard tubeless on the rabbit hole rim

Quote Originally Posted by phsycle View Post
    Edit: By the way, 120tpi Knard sidewalls are way thinner than 27tpi. If you're having sidewall issues, 120tpi will not work.
    Good to hear. My rear 120 looks like a pin cushion. I think I have as many plugs as knobs

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I've been running split tube and the surly rim strip for about 3 weeks now with no issues. Came close to a burp on the first ride when I landed a small jump at speed going into a corner. Got a weird bbbbbbrap out of the rear tire, but it held just fine. 185# rider @ 15psi. I've since let the pressure down to about 10 front 12 rear, but that seems to be the point that things get squirrely for me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I have been running my 27 tpi Knards with duct tape and split tubes for a few weeks. No problems what so ever. I run the front at 9 psi and the rear at 11 or 12. I am 188 lb or so. Not fluffy beach riding either, real mountain biking.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    So any final verdict on a layer of Gorilla tape or not over the rabbit hole rim strip for split tube? I've read some further results where they seemed to think it was not necessary.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I'm running this combo with a split tube, stock rim strip and no gorilla tape. I've got a heap of it in reserve, but no punctures and no burps yet, so I'm leaving well enough alone.

18 PSI, 255 pounds, hard trail riding.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenngineer View Post
    I'm running this combo with a split tube, stock rim strip and no gorilla tape. I've got a heap of it in reserve, but no punctures and no burps yet, so I'm leaving well enough alone.

18 PSI, 255 pounds, hard trail riding.
    Perfect, Just what I wanted to hear. I'm a Clyde but not quite your size, so this is very encouraging. I'm setting mine up tonight and will leave out the gorilla tape.
    -thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by TBMD9er View Post
    Perfect, Just what I wanted to hear. I'm a Clyde but not quite your size, so this is very encouraging. I'm setting mine up tonight and will leave out the gorilla tape.
    -thanks
    Yep, I'm a beast. I'm actually a little disappointed in how the stock ECR wheels have required a couple truings at this point, but no trouble from the tubeless setup.

I forgot to mention, I'm running 3 cups of Stan's, and I seated both tires first try with an air compressor.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Yep, I'm a beast. I'm actually a little disappointed in how the stock ECR wheels have required a couple truings at this point, but no trouble from the tubeless setup.

I forgot to mention, I'm running 3 cups of Stan's, and I seated both tires first try with an air compressor.
    Arg! Did you start with brand new tires? I did the rabbit whole rim strip with a 24" split tube with removable core and a compressor. Even soaped up the split tube a bit and no luck. I mean not even close. The tire fit so loosely and the wire beads on the brand new tire just pinched together toward the center of the rim. I got plenty of air flow with the compressor and removed valve core. I then threw a layer of gorilla tape on which fit perfect and tried again. Things were a little tighter but it still was not even close to seating, air gushing out the sides like crazy. Thinking I might need to put a tube in and ride it around a while to get it well seated and soften it up a bit.
    Any other ideas???

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I bought the ECR complete and made the switch two weeks later, so it wasn't brand new.

Make sure you've got the tire spread out in the rim so that the beads are as close to the rim hooks as possible before inflating. Riding the tire might help in this respect, it won't tend to 'close' as much before you air it up.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Thanks Glenn,
    Yea, I tried pulling the the bead toward the rim side using the J end of a spoke, but it just pulled right back to center. I'll throw a tube in for a while, no biggy.

mtbr member
    May 2009

Double checking, is that three cups of stans, as in 24 oz, or three red scoops of stans?

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    3 red scoops, 24oz is quite a bit Stans.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Split tube with 24" 2,75" wide tubes. I have ridden everything from 100k road rides to rocky mountain trails on the 27 tpi knards and they have been bullet proof. I am using about 12oz of orange sealant. Pressures from 25psi to 8psi. Tires sealed instantly and reseal with little issue. I will be going to 120 tpi for some races.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    How wide of Gorilla tape and can someone give me a link to the split tube process?

Thanks!
    OB1 Kielbasa

One is good!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Juanmoretime View Post
    How wide of Gorilla tape and can someone give me a link to the split tube process?

Thanks!
    This is the process I used:

Ghetto tubeless conversion DIY: tips and tricks

Pretty easy to do. You don't necessarily need Gorilla tape, but you can use the standard 2" width and trim to fit. It tears pretty easy and straight.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast