mtbr member

2015 Surly Pugsley; still fit for purpose

Great to see Surly are still doing the old Pugsley for another year anyway
    I think it is still a great bike despite all the new fatbike stuff going on.

Post up what you love about this great bike

Wrote a blog post on what i like about this most versatile bike along with some comparisons

coastrider: 2015 Surly Pugsley! ; still `Fit for Purpose`
    plan it...build it....ride it...love it....
    http://coastkid.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Agreed!

I agree with everything you said, Kid. I, too, have the original Pugs and it still does everything I need it to. No reason to change...

Pat

Stubby-legged
    Jun 2006
    I was lured away by al-u-minimum....but returned to my Pugs. I can hear the 907 crying in the corner of the garage.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1spd1way View Post
    I was lured away by al-u-minimum....but returned to my Pugs. I can hear the 907 crying in the corner of the garage.
    Glad you made it back from the darkside unscathed.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    May 2012
    well of course the pugs is still valid in 2015 and for the foreseeable future..

bikes, it's just a rigid structure with wheels and components attached to it.. nothing the industry can do will ever be revolutionary.

Rule of diminishing return greatly applies when you compute the delta between pugs and all the more "advanced" fat bikes we have today..

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I did a lot of long thinking before ordering my 2014 Pugsley last year. In the end, I wanted the ability to run an IGH on it somewhere down the line, to keep things less muck and grit prone. As it is... 170mm this, symmetrical that, 190mm the other, nothing lets you get normal bike components that just fit and work. There's a lot to be said about a bike that can use standard parts. (except for rims and tires, at any rate).

mtbr member
    May 2011

Re: 2015 Surly Pugsley; still fit for purpose

If Surly axes the Pugsley, they're fools. It's the value leader for fatbikes.

It still sucks that they stopped selling them with the offset fork. I find mine very useful.

Stubby-legged
    Jun 2006
    I used to think my 1x1 was the best thing ever. Now it's the Pugs. Or it's been the pugs all along.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ultraspontane View Post
    If Surly axes the Pugsley, they're fools. It's the value leader for fatbikes.

It still sucks that they stopped selling them with the offset fork. I find mine very useful.
    +1 - on the offset fork...at least Surly is selling it on the side for ~$100 so folks who really want one can still get one.

Now that so many new "upgrades" have come out in the fat bike world it almost seems like they should go back to the offset fork and higher TT just to offer a different product that would appeal to the odd ball riders.

I keep expecting Surly to release a slightly bigger tire that will only work with the ICT and will render a whole bunch of wonder bikes obsolete in the rush to have the best/newest/hype parts.

The Pugs can just keep on trucking quietly ignoring all the hoopla!
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Frt Range, CO
    I'd like to see it upgraded. 100mm suspension fork, Bluto compatible, tapered headtube, modern geometry (73* STA, longer ett, 68*~69* HTA) and those fancy dropouts...with 17.5mm offset...and 29+ compatible. And an offset fork option.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Yoo hoo, Surly....

I hope you're watching this thread!

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pursuiter View Post
    I'd like to see it upgraded. 100mm suspension fork, Bluto compatible, tapered headtube, modern geometry (73* STA, longer ett, 68*~69* HTA) and those fancy dropouts...with 17.5mm offset...and 29+ compatible. And an offset fork option.
    I'm sure it will be offered. But as a seperate model costing hundreds more. It's the American way.
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Pugs doesn't need an upgrade - what you're looking for is a different bike.

I like the Pugsley - it's a modern classic, and really packed the powder for the wave of production fat bikes that followed after. It's still very much my dream bike from when I was 10.

I'm on an ECR now, but I have a feeling a Pug will follow me home at some point.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I was hoping to find a thread like this for a few weeks, been lurking around the internet. With all the 26+, 27.5+, 29+, i still think what i'm most interested in is a Pugsley. I've looked at a lot of other fat bikes, and still keep coming back. I'm riding a Ogre now, but want a simple go anywhere mountain bike with fat tires, and am looking at the Pugsley SS, wondering if theres any glaring reason not too? I already have a bike with gears and 99% of the time find myself riding my SS cross bike everywhere because of how much I enjoy the simplicity. Are there any major drawbacks to using standard mountain bike wheel components at 17.5mm offset? Any other advice or pushes to take the plunge and get the pugs is appreciated!

mtbr member
    There's no disadvantage to offset wheels that I know of. I've had my 28 mm offset Moonlander for a couple of years now and I never noticed it while riding.

mtbr member
    On my second Pugsley (2013 model) and still loving it. If you want a rigid fatbike, the Pugsley is as good as ever.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin.M.Clark View Post
    I was hoping to find a thread like this for a few weeks, been lurking around the internet. With all the 26+, 27.5+, 29+, i still think what i'm most interested in is a Pugsley. I've looked at a lot of other fat bikes, and still keep coming back. I'm riding a Ogre now, but want a simple go anywhere mountain bike with fat tires, and am looking at the Pugsley SS, wondering if theres any glaring reason not too? I already have a bike with gears and 99% of the time find myself riding my SS cross bike everywhere because of how much I enjoy the simplicity. Are there any major drawbacks to using standard mountain bike wheel components at 17.5mm offset? Any other advice or pushes to take the plunge and get the pugs is appreciated!
    I have a Pugsley and an Ogre, the versatility and handling of both bikes are very similar, ignoring tire width. I am going to try and squeeze 3" gravity Vidars on Blunt 35s into the Ogre. If is was going to run ss on a Pugsley, I would go with an offset fork, you could change ratios by swapping wheels.

mtbr member
    Got out on mine today... and I am still smiling.
    2015 Surly Pugsley; still fit for purpose-img_1882.jpg
    No snow yet, but still fun.
    "Those who wander are not always lost"

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by pursuiter View Post
    I can't say any of that stuff is on or off my wishlist. Maybe I don't know what I'm missing? I have to correct you though and say that the Pug IS 29er+ compatible.

I have an offset fork and it works great. I think they should still come with them. The one thing I wish for with the pugs is more tire clearance. I would like to see it be able to fit a 4.8'' tire even if it means giving up some rear gears.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ntm1973 View Post
    I have an offset fork and it works great. I think they should still come with them. The one thing I wish for with the pugs is more tire clearance. I would like to see it be able to fit a 4.8'' tire even if it means giving up some rear gears.
    I agree about the offset forks. At Surly has posted about a new version of the offset fork being available for those that really want them.

I fit BFLs on 82mm rims in both ends of my Pugs. I was running an IGH so I can't speak to derailleur compatibility.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    I still have my Moonlander for real soft beach riding and low tide rock crawling but the Pugsley is still my go to bike, infact just sold a Karate Monkey frameset and built the parts onto another Pug!, will some spare wheels it gives me a lot of set up options; 4" Fatbike, 29er, 29+, ECR type bike packing rig, all covered

18th Jan; 014 by coastkid71, on Flickr

18th Jan; 008 by coastkid71, on Flickr

18th Jan; 011 by coastkid71, on Flickr

17th Jan 020 by coastkid71, on Flickr

17th Jan 024 by coastkid71, on Flickr

Some words on these bikes here;
    coastrider: Green Pugsley No 3 rolling!, 3 Pugsleys, all Pugsleys, but all quite differant...
    plan it...build it....ride it...love it....
    http://coastkid.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I bought a second Pugsley (Necro) about two years ago- although yesterday I shipped it off to a new owner. My LBS had a Spesh Fatboy in stock, and the MSRP was $50 lower than a Pug Ops! And it weighed 5 lbs less. Can fit 5" on the back. They're throwing XT brakes on it.

I love the Pugsley, I really do. But it was time for me to move on. I will always have the memories. Specifically of my '11 white Pugs. Loved that thing.
    '11 Transition Bandit 29
    '12 Surly Ogre
    '13 Surly Big Dummy
    '15 Specialized Fatboy

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I love riding my Pugsley! Its an awesome all-around beach bike. I've only ridden my old Schwinn cruisers a couple of times since I started riding my Pugs, and that was only to compare them to riding the Pugs. The old Schwinns hardly measured up...aren't even in the same ballpark... not even the same universe...anymore, and I only keep 'em around because my brother likes to ride 'em. By no means "collectible," if they rusted into a pile of dirt, I wouldn't even bat an eye.
    My Pugs, on the other hand, is so fun to ride on a beach-combing run, and on some local trails, that it has kept me motivated to go out and ride as much as possible, and this has contributed to my continuing recovery from heart failure. My riding continues to get stronger.
    I'm getting lighter 4" tires and tubes for now, and definitely plan to get some Rabbit Holes and 29+ tires later this coming Spring.