Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011
Results 1,001 to 1,095 of 1095
  1. #1001
    Your bike sucks
    Reputation: Carl Mega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,413
    Kyle - cool gallery and terrain riding regardless of the bike but extra neat since you're on the Gator.

    Rooster - Are you sure those BB drop measurements are for 27.5 frames not 27.5+? Anyway- at some point you just have to stop fussing numbers and decide if you like the way the bike rides or not. Doesn't hurt to test ride something else and see if you are better off with a different geo - but you are within range and every change has pros/cons. Might be better to give the back-brain a rest from the processing and 'what ifs' and just enjoy the ride.

  2. #1002
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    13
    Agreed, Im still waiting on my wheels. All this number crunching is because I haven't ridden it with the 27.5s yet.

  3. #1003
    Rocks belong
    Reputation: 06HokieMTB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    4,458
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyRooster View Post
    Also as I cross reference with other 27.5 AM HT I notice that all of them have lower bb drops usually in the range of 45-50mm drop were the 'Gator has a 30mm.
    Make sure you're comparing 27.5 hardtails and not 27.5+ hardtails

    Here's a quick survey of aggressive HT bb drops:

    Transition TransAM 27.5 - 35mm
    On One Dee Dar 27.5 - 33mm
    Production Privee Shan - 35mm
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

  4. #1004
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    13
    Thanks for share those numbers. Those are pretty close. Of coarse those are not the bikes I looked at. Here are a few of the bikes I was looking at.
    Orange P7/Crush 27.5 - 48mm drop
    Ragley Blue Pig 27.5 - 50mm
    Staton Switchback - 43mm
    Staton Slackline - 50mm

    I was wondering how you +/- headset was working out.
    I should be getting my wheels tomorrow can't wait to get on the trail
    Quote Originally Posted by 06HokieMTB View Post
    Make sure you're comparing 27.5 hardtails and not 27.5+ hardtails

    Here's a quick survey of aggressive HT bb drops:

    Transition TransAM 27.5 - 35mm
    On One Dee Dar 27.5 - 33mm
    Production Privee Shan - 35mm

  5. #1005
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    13
    Ya so........all of my doubts were proven wrong with this bike. This bike is a beast with the new 27.5 wheels on it! Higher bb or not I lost 2 1/2 lbs on wheels alone. This thing is so much quicker in every which way!!! It charged downhill with less chatter then my 26" 2.5" tires to.
    Now I just need to dial it in for my short legged, short armed, long torso self.

  6. #1006
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyRooster View Post
    Ya so........all of my doubts were proven wrong with this bike. This bike is a beast with the new 27.5 wheels on it! Higher bb or not I lost 2 1/2 lbs on wheels alone. This thing is so much quicker in every which way!!! It charged downhill with less chatter then my 26" 2.5" tires to.
    Now I just need to dial it in for my short legged, short armed, long torso self.
    Man that is my only complaint on the bike is it feels a bit heavy on the climbs. I've been debating a 27.5 wheelset to lighten up but have been debating if the traction/fun factor trade off would be worth it. I suppose having two wheelsets means you can pick a flavor of the day! What wheelset do you have and what'd it run you?

  7. #1007
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by kablamo View Post
    Man that is my only complaint on the bike is it feels a bit heavy on the climbs. I've been debating a 27.5 wheelset to lighten up but have been debating if the traction/fun factor trade off would be worth it. I suppose having two wheelsets means you can pick a flavor of the day! What wheelset do you have and what'd it run you?
    So I went with the Stan's Flow MK3 on DT swiss 350 hubs with x-ray spokes on Maxis Ardents. Also, I went ahead and changed the cassette to a SunRace CSMX3 for the 40t gear. I got everything for $613 w/labor.

    Bike went from 31.5lbs to 29lbs almost on the money. Was not expecting that. I had the same complaint on the climbs. It felt dead on climbs. I also did not like how sluggish it felt in the quick weaving in and out of trees and short quick berm transitions. Thats why I was so concerned with the bb height so much, but I guess the weight had a lot more to do with that because the bike feel great in those sections now. It feels like a completely different bike. So excited with the new changes. Its what I imagined the bike would be like when I first purchased it.
    If Im knit picking and finding a negative here Id say I did lose some grip on flat wet corners and on very steep muddy climbs. Going from the Minions to Ardents i guess that would be expected as the Minions is their DH tire and is meant to have a ton more grip. Once the conditions start to dry around here Ill see how much I can push the tire and see if the weight saving is worth it from the Minion.

  8. #1008
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyRooster View Post
    So I went with the Stan's Flow MK3 on DT swiss 350 hubs with x-ray spokes on Maxis Ardents. Also, I went ahead and changed the cassette to a SunRace CSMX3 for the 40t gear. I got everything for $613 w/labor.

    Bike went from 31.5lbs to 29lbs almost on the money. Was not expecting that. I had the same complaint on the climbs. It felt dead on climbs. I also did not like how sluggish it felt in the quick weaving in and out of trees and short quick berm transitions. Thats why I was so concerned with the bb height so much, but I guess the weight had a lot more to do with that because the bike feel great in those sections now. It feels like a completely different bike. So excited with the new changes. Its what I imagined the bike would be like when I first purchased it.
    If Im knit picking and finding a negative here Id say I did lose some grip on flat wet corners and on very steep muddy climbs. Going from the Minions to Ardents i guess that would be expected as the Minions is their DH tire and is meant to have a ton more grip. Once the conditions start to dry around here Ill see how much I can push the tire and see if the weight saving is worth it from the Minion.
    SWEET! I got really compulsive and found a set of DT Swiss XM wheels (take offs from a Yeti ACR Carbon) with new Maxxis Ardent 2.25's on them. Just sent the cashola out for them now. Also have a dropper post, saddle, and new grips on the way. I'm really excited to have the versatility of both these wheelsets. Thank you for the help and inspiration. Send over an update later. By the way, where are you riding? Colorado here.

  9. #1009
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    13
    no prob! Glad I can help! As a heads up my Ardents are 2.40's. So depending on the type of riding you are doing it might not feel as great. The dropper was a game changer too.
    Im in W. Oregon Portland area, its very wet out here. Even when its dry the dirt tends to stay damp for most of the yr. I think Colorado is more hardback and looser then us, I hope the Ardents are what you are looking for. The new wheels will blow your mind!

  10. #1010
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyRooster View Post
    no prob! Glad I can help! As a heads up my Ardents are 2.40's. So depending on the type of riding you are doing it might not feel as great. The dropper was a game changer too.
    Im in W. Oregon Portland area, its very wet out here. Even when its dry the dirt tends to stay damp for most of the yr. I think Colorado is more hardback and looser then us, I hope the Ardents are what you are looking for. The new wheels will blow your mind!
    Good news is the new Ardents came on the wheels (straight take offs), so if I need to try a wider tire it's no biggie. I'll run these and see how it goes first. And yes... in CO it's always dry. A day after rain trails are dry! I live up in the mountains and all the trails are big climbs, techy, and chunky. Love it!

  11. #1011
    Rocks belong
    Reputation: 06HokieMTB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    4,458
    Was anybody here the guy riding down North Table Mtn in Golden yesterday on the Surly 'Gator?

    I'm the guy that was trail running with his dog
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

  12. #1012
    Rocks belong
    Reputation: 06HokieMTB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    4,458
    FINALLY got my offset headset installed. Don't know the exact angle as Works said it would be closer to -1.5* than -1.0*... so lets call it -1.3*?

    My 1-ride review?.... LOVE IT! Wish my 34 could be easily pushed out to 140mm (would require a whole new air spring assembly), but that would raise the BB. The bike is stable, planted and really, really fun.

    Anyway, here's the deets:

    Fox 34 27.5 130mm (524mm a2c)
    Works Components -1.3* headset

    According to this website (geometryCalc) here is my current (unsagged) geo:

    HTA: 65.5*
    STA: 72.5*
    WB: 1162mm
    ETT: 626mm
    Reach: 441mm
    Stack: 601mm

    EDIT - At sag, this should be the geo:

    HTA: 66.9*
    STA: 74*
    WB: 1149mm
    ETT: 621mm
    Reach: 459mm
    Stack: 590mm
    Last edited by 06HokieMTB; 04-27-2017 at 08:59 AM.
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

  13. #1013
    Rocks belong
    Reputation: 06HokieMTB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    4,458
    Oh, and I also swapped the 2.5 WTB Convict for a 2.6 Spesh Butcher GRID

    i like that too
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

  14. #1014
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    70
    Sounds like a sick setup, I like that. I've been pondering and angled headset myself but worried about stresses, riding bike parks and such and already having my fork slightly beyond spec (150mm). Tempting though.

    I'd love to try some 650b wheels too, I bet 27.5 x 2.6's would be a pretty sweet spot for a lot of riding. Too bad I invested so heavily in multiple 26 wheel sets, and many 26" tires so I have wear those out first!

    Also curious to try a rigid 69er setup on my gator with my fat fork. Throw a 29+ wheel on the front and keep 26+ rear.

    Anyway, I just uploaded a video on PB of some cool shots from my winter riding on the 'gator:

    https://www.pinkbike.com/video/470180/

  15. #1015
    Your bike sucks
    Reputation: Carl Mega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,413
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle201 View Post
    Anyway, I just uploaded a video on PB of some cool shots from my winter riding on the 'gator:

    https://www.pinkbike.com/video/470180/
    Great vid! Makes me want to put a fat front on next winter.

  16. #1016
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    418
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle201 View Post
    Anyway, I just uploaded a video on PB of some cool shots from my winter riding on the 'gator:

    https://www.pinkbike.com/video/470180/
    Thoroughly enjoyed that vid. Thank you for the stoke!

  17. #1017
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    3
    You guys will not regret going 27.5. I switched over Spank Oozy 295's w/ SLX hubs and 2.35 Nobby Nics. It's a whole new animal and an absolute beast for a hard tail! I've switched from the cheap wellgo pedals I have on it in the pic to wellgo MG-6 magnesium flats, they are great! Very thin and light, build quality is superb. Also swapped to Deity Black Label 38 bars and Deity pivotal post and seat. Sorry don't know why the pics uploads sideways. It's normal on the iPad. 2014 Surly Instigator-img_0100.jpg

  18. #1018
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Mega View Post
    Great vid! Makes me want to put a fat front on next winter.
    Thanks!! Yeah it's a pretty sweet setup. Perfect for downhill, though for some flat and climbing stuff I sometimes wish for more rear float. However with my 2.8 Duro Leopards that are very stiff, I can run them as low as 3 psi in the snow for pretty great float and snow grip.

    Quote Originally Posted by rusheleven View Post
    Thoroughly enjoyed that vid. Thank you for the stoke!
    You're so welcome, glad you enjoyed it so thoroughly!

    Here's another clip of me riding the steepest ice ever, that shouldn't even be possible to ride on a bicycle but is, thanks to some gnarly screwed tires.

    https://www.pinkbike.com/video/470179/

    Instigator is a sweet bike, though sometimes I wonder if a bit slacker would be nicer for me. Some internal routing would be nice too for a dropper, but I'm hesitant to push the frame too far beyond it's specifications, like using a slackset or drilling holes..

  19. #1019
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    22
    2014 Surly Instigator-18278580_539451080202_4783653633185367924_o.jpg

    I picked up a set of DT Swiss take off wheels (27.5) from a Yeti ACR carbon (brand new) with Maxxis Ardents.

    This is my first real trail ride with them and tackled a technical, aggressive climb. It's like a whole new bike. MUCH lighter, climbs better, more agile, and flickable. I don't see myself throwing on the Dirt Wizards unless I'm downhilling.

  20. #1020
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by 06HokieMTB View Post
    FINALLY got my offset headset installed. Don't know the exact angle as Works said it would be closer to -1.5* than -1.0*... so lets call it -1.3*?

    My 1-ride review?.... LOVE IT! Wish my 34 could be easily pushed out to 140mm (would require a whole new air spring assembly), but that would raise the BB. The bike is stable, planted and really, really fun.

    Anyway, here's the deets:

    Fox 34 27.5 130mm (524mm a2c)
    Works Components -1.3* headset

    According to this website (geometryCalc) here is my current (unsagged) geo:

    HTA: 65.5*
    STA: 72.5*
    WB: 1162mm
    ETT: 626mm
    Reach: 441mm
    Stack: 601mm

    EDIT - At sag, this should be the geo:

    HTA: 66.9*
    STA: 74*
    WB: 1149mm
    ETT: 621mm
    Reach: 459mm
    Stack: 590mm
    This head set looks bad ass! The stack drops a little but I guess you can raise your bar to make up the difference if needed. I might go for it to. thanks for the update.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle201 View Post
    Sounds like a sick setup, I like that. I've been pondering and angled headset myself but worried about stresses, riding bike parks and such and already having my fork slightly beyond spec (150mm). Tempting though.

    I'd love to try some 650b wheels too, I bet 27.5 x 2.6's would be a pretty sweet spot for a lot of riding. Too bad I invested so heavily in multiple 26 wheel sets, and many 26" tires so I have wear those out first!

    Also curious to try a rigid 69er setup on my gator with my fat fork. Throw a 29+ wheel on the front and keep 26+ rear.

    Anyway, I just uploaded a video on PB of some cool shots from my winter riding on the 'gator:

    https://www.pinkbike.com/video/470180/
    This video is flipping amazing!!

    Quote Originally Posted by kablamo View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	18278580_539451080202_4783653633185367924_o.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	225.6 KB 
ID:	1135047

    I picked up a set of DT Swiss take off wheels (27.5) from a Yeti ACR carbon (brand new) with Maxxis Ardents.

    This is my first real trail ride with them and tackled a technical, aggressive climb. It's like a whole new bike. MUCH lighter, climbs better, more agile, and flickable. I don't see myself throwing on the Dirt Wizards unless I'm downhilling.
    Thats how I feel, but I'll never use the DW 26+ set up again. So if anyone is interested in a set of DW on the rabbit hole, Id be willing to part with them. Im not knocking on the 26+ set-up its just not for me. Thats an awesome pic! Ill try to get one tomorrow when Im out on the trail(if I remember). What size is your bike? It looks so much longer then mine, which is a small.

  21. #1021
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    22
    Johnny Rooster - thanks. It's actually a small frame also. I can't find a dropper post that will work with my short saddle height But loving the bike set up like this now! I think the last stop will be new bars with a short riser.

  22. #1022
    Rocks belong
    Reputation: 06HokieMTB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    4,458
    Quote Originally Posted by kablamo View Post
    Johnny Rooster - thanks. It's actually a small frame also. I can't find a dropper post that will work with my short saddle height
    Cut off the triangle gusseted part of the seatpost. Not kidding.
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

  23. #1023
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    22
    2014 Surly Instigator-18278580_539451080202_4783653633185367924_o.jpg

    Wow really? So it's essentially flush with the top tube?

  24. #1024
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    70
    Woah does that work? I've always wanted my seat tube to be slightly shorter... my 125mm dropper is slightly too long at full extension, and most other droppers have an even taller stack height than my KS so I figured I'd need a 100mm dropper if I got a new one.

    If I could just cut like 5mm off the seat tube, without going past the brace that would be nice...

    EDIT:

    I found the thread where it was successfully done Shortening a Surly fatbike seat tube.

    Interesting... I will try shortening it as close as I can to the brace and see if that's enough for me.

  25. #1025
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle201 View Post
    Woah does that work? I've always wanted my seat tube to be slightly shorter... my 125mm dropper is slightly too long at full extension, and most other droppers have an even taller stack height than my KS so I figured I'd need a 100mm dropper if I got a new one.

    If I could just cut like 5mm off the seat tube, without going past the brace that would be nice...

    EDIT:

    I found the thread where it was successfully done Shortening a Surly fatbike seat tube.

    Interesting... I will try shortening it as close as I can to the brace and see if that's enough for me.
    Wow it must be an optical illusion. I got a 100mm fox on mine, just the right size when it's slammed and fully extended

  26. #1026
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    13
    Im trying to upload a crappy photo of my bike and I can't figure it out

  27. #1027
    Rocks belong
    Reputation: 06HokieMTB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    4,458
    Quote Originally Posted by kablamo View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	18278580_539451080202_4783653633185367924_o.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	233.4 KB 
ID:	1135202

    Wow really? So it's essentially flush with the top tube?
    Yep!

    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle201 View Post
    I found the thread where it was successfully done Shortening a Surly fatbike seat tube.
    Bingo.
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

  28. #1028
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    2
    That would most likely be me.... sorry if I startled you. Jason Hokie

  29. #1029
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    2
    Hey Man. That would mostly likely be me...Jason I ride NTM all the time after work. Sorry if I scared you...

  30. #1030
    Rocks belong
    Reputation: 06HokieMTB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    4,458
    Quote Originally Posted by Jstar1973 View Post
    Hey Man. That would mostly likely be me...Jason I ride NTM all the time after work. Sorry if I scared you...
    Ha. We met each other at the bottom of the trail, right before Easley. We should meet up for a ride and do some Instigatin'!
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

  31. #1031
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyRooster View Post
    Wow it must be an optical illusion. I got a 100mm fox on mine, just the right size when it's slammed and fully extended
    What do you mean 'optical illusion'?

  32. #1032
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle201 View Post
    What do you mean 'optical illusion'?
    It looks larger then a small frame

  33. #1033
    mtbr member
    Reputation: HarMi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    53
    ---
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2014 Surly Instigator-24x28_instigator_05.jpg  

    2014 Surly Instigator-24x28_speccu_bigroller.jpg  

    Last edited by HarMi; 05-25-2017 at 03:45 AM.

  34. #1034
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    13
    2014 Surly Instigator-img_0134.jpg ok attempting to post a crappy photo again

  35. #1035
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    5
    Newly built in black with gravel B+ tires..

    07 by b0000rdz, on Flickr

    08 by b0000rdz, on Flickr

  36. #1036
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tuni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    23

    Repaint

    Did you repaint it yourself or have it done? Powder coat?
    Quote Originally Posted by b00rdz View Post
    Newly built in black with gravel B+ tires..

    07 by b0000rdz, on Flickr

    08 by b0000rdz, on Flickr

  37. #1037
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    5
    My friend who owns a car painting shop did it for me. He used satin black automotive paint.

  38. #1038
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LonelyDwarfProd.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    61
    After a year and a half of riding my Instigator as a single speed, I'm considering moving the 1x10 set up off my Surly Krampus and onto the Instigator to be able to take it on some longer rides/rides with more vertical than I get in the Albany, NY area.

    If anyone switched their Instigator from single speed to geared, did it change the character of the bike? I'll be running a 34T Chainring with a Shimano XT Cassette/Derailleur with 11/36 gearing.

  39. #1039
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by LonelyDwarfProd. View Post
    After a year and a half of riding my Instigator as a single speed, I'm considering moving the 1x10 set up off my Surly Krampus and onto the Instigator to be able to take it on some longer rides/rides with more vertical than I get in the Albany, NY area.

    If anyone switched their Instigator from single speed to geared, did it change the character of the bike? I'll be running a 34T Chainring with a Shimano XT Cassette/Derailleur with 11/36 gearing.
    Dam your legs have got to be monsters riding it SS. What kind of riding were you doing and what gear were you running?

    I don't think its going to change the characteristics much. I run mine with a 30t and a 11-40t. I don't like to tire myself out going up, 34t is way to high for me. I used to run the 11-36t cassette and changed that too, for the granny gear when needed. Id rather save most of my energy to bomb down. You do run yours SS so you probably have more strength in your legs then I do though.

  40. #1040
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LonelyDwarfProd.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyRooster View Post
    Dam your legs have got to be monsters riding it SS. What kind of riding were you doing and what gear were you running?

    I don't think its going to change the characteristics much. I run mine with a 30t and a 11-40t. I don't like to tire myself out going up, 34t is way to high for me. I used to run the 11-36t cassette and changed that too, for the granny gear when needed. Id rather save most of my energy to bomb down. You do run yours SS so you probably have more strength in your legs then I do though.
    Haha, I don't have it geared that tall. It's set up at 34/19 right now. The riding I do is mostly quick ups/downs without much in the way of real climbing. I've got family in New Hampshire/Massachusetts where the climbs are a bit more serious, so its time to make the swap and ride the Krampus as a single speed monster truck on my local trails, will definitely be gearing that a bit lighter though, probably 35/21 or 22.

  41. #1041
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    667
    I can't help but think some Nextie rims with WTB Rangers would make the Gator even more incredible than it already is.

  42. #1042
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    927
    I ride my Gator Ss and geared and the ride feels the same- you will be fine.

  43. #1043
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    667
    Quote Originally Posted by Streichholzman View Post
    Hi,

    here some pics of my build - the rims is a Velocity Dually 26'' internal 39mm external 45mm.

    Cheers,
    Attachment 1045961Attachment 1045962Attachment 1045964
    Think a JJ4.0 would fit in the back or no?

  44. #1044
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LonelyDwarfProd.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by Molasses View Post
    I ride my Gator Ss and geared and the ride feels the same- you will be fine.
    Thanks for the opinions! Now I just need to find a few hours to swap parts between the two bikes. I'll throw my thoughts on riding the 'Gator as a 1x10 together and share after a few rides.

  45. #1045
    mtbr member
    Reputation: HarMi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    53
    Two Instigators on pump track.

  46. #1046
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    667
    https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...s.php?id=90581

    Never was a better time to have a Gator

  47. #1047
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tuni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    23

    maxxis tire option

    [QUOTE=ChargeCookerMaxi;13180523]https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...s.php?id=90581

    Never was a better time to have a Gator [/QUOTE

    What tire would you suggest for the back if using this on the front as it is listed as a front specific? Would a Nard on the back work well together?

    a friend suggested that with a Dirt Wizard on the front for a faster rolling gator

  48. #1048
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    667
    [QUOTE=tuni;13181431]
    Quote Originally Posted by ChargeCookerMaxi View Post
    https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...s.php?id=90581

    Never was a better time to have a Gator [/QUOTE

    What tire would you suggest for the back if using this on the front as it is listed as a front specific? Would a Nard on the back work well together?

    a friend suggested that with a Dirt Wizard on the front for a faster rolling gator
    I'd use this guy

    https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...s.php?id=90579

  49. #1049
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tuni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    23

    ... and if we just ...

    [QUOTE=ChargeCookerMaxi;13181576]
    Quote Originally Posted by tuni View Post


    Ha Ha Duh! I didn't see the complimentary front/rear!!!
    Anyone tried this set up?

  50. #1050
    mtbr member
    Reputation: HarMi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    53
    L-size Instigator seat tube shortened 50mm. When saddle is in top position Instigator's original seat post is 150mm inside seat tube. Upper water bottle boss removed. Feels better to ride standing.
    2014 Surly Instigator-24pluslsizeinstigator02.jpg
    Last edited by HarMi; 05-27-2017 at 02:33 AM.

  51. #1051
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    67

    Instigator that's been run as 29"

    I know that I've seen a few photos both on here and Surly's website with 29" wheels in the backend.

    My question if anybody is still running the bike this way is how much room do you have between the seatstays/chainstays where the "bulge" of the tire tread is? I'd like to hear from a few guys that have done this. I've got extra parts from a 29er laying around and wanting to build something else up. I had one Instigator a while back, but this never crossed my mind at that point.

    Thanks in advance!!

  52. #1052
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    667
    2014 Surly Instigator-screen-shot-2017-06-01-12.24.30-pm.jpg


    Oh mah goodness gracious. The trigger has officially been pulled!

    Now I can be as cool as Matt Hunter

  53. #1053
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    667
    Hoping I get the Minion soon

    On another note, I'm thinking about ditching the Rabbits for some Stans Flow MK3 rims. Anybody got a pic of a 2.8 on one?

    Thanks!

  54. #1054
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    667
    Got a call today... Maxxis canceled my order. D*****!!


    Anybody got a deal on some 26+ tires for me?

  55. #1055
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    3
    Brand new Instigator 2.0 build. Hope hubs/brakes/stem (red!). 1x10. Fox float 34 140. Gold chain. Dropper seat post... Now, how the heck do I load a photo on this site? Pics shortly.

  56. #1056
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    667

  57. #1057
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    667
    I got some WTB Ranger 26x2.8 light/fast tires. They roll fast, are light, and grip like they are on rails. Not to mention they seated on my rabbit holes tubeless with only a floor pump! I can finally be done with the flimsy Dirt Wizards!

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoLY...ceCreamTrucker

  58. #1058
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tuni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    23

    tubeless rabbit hole

    Quote Originally Posted by ChargeCookerMaxi View Post
    I got some WTB Ranger 26x2.8 light/fast tires. They roll fast, are light, and grip like they are on rails. Not to mention they seated on my rabbit holes tubeless with only a floor pump! I can finally be done with the flimsy Dirt Wizards!

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoLY...ceCreamTrucker
    That sounds like an excellent set up!

    Pardon me for asking if it already has been discussed on this thread, but how did you set up the RH rim to be tubeless?

  59. #1059
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    667
    Quote Originally Posted by tuni View Post
    That sounds like an excellent set up!

    Pardon me for asking if it already has been discussed on this thread, but how did you set up the RH rim to be tubeless?
    Real simple

    Trim the rim strip so it only covers the middle of the rim (holes).

    Gorilla tape one lap over it. Press it down real good and then mount tire with a tube so it gets really stuck down.

    Break one side of the bead loose after a few hours and remove the tube.

    Pop in a valve stem (ask your LBS for punctured tubes and cut out a stem)

    Pump that sucker up!

    You can either add sealant when you're installing the tire, or after seating install through the valve stem (my personal favorite).

    Good luck

  60. #1060
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tuni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    23
    That sounds so easy and from what I am hearing makes the ride so much better!! Have you tried it with the Dirt Wizards?

  61. #1061
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    667
    Quote Originally Posted by tuni View Post
    That sounds so easy and from what I am hearing makes the ride so much better!! Have you tried it with the Dirt Wizards?
    I have done it with Dirt Wizards as well, super easy. For some reason I got more flats on the Instigator than any other bike, so I'd HIGHLY recommend going tubeless!

  62. #1062
    Rocks belong
    Reputation: 06HokieMTB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    4,458
    Quote Originally Posted by ChargeCookerMaxi View Post
    I have done it with Dirt Wizards as well, super easy. For some reason I got more flats on the Instigator than any other bike, so I'd HIGHLY recommend going tubeless!
    Low PSI that is inherent to Plus bikes. That's why I prefer regular 27.5 for aggressive trail riding in rocky/chunky terrain.
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

  63. #1063
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    667
    Quote Originally Posted by 06HokieMTB View Post
    Low PSI that is inherent to Plus bikes. That's why I prefer regular 27.5 for aggressive trail riding in rocky/chunky terrain.
    Never have issues now that I'm tubeless. But I agree!

  64. #1064
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tuni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    23
    Has any one tried the Scotch Clear Duct Tape? I've heard good things including it it light weight compared to Gorilla tape. What sealant have you been using? I've heard the Orange sealant stays a liquid longer and had a good review on Bike?

    Thanks for all the sage advice!!!

  65. #1065
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    667
    Quote Originally Posted by tuni View Post
    Has any one tried the Scotch Clear Duct Tape? I've heard good things including it it light weight compared to Gorilla tape. What sealant have you been using? I've heard the Orange sealant stays a liquid longer and had a good review on Bike?

    Thanks for all the sage advice!!!
    I wouldn't worry about weight, as you are getting rid of the heavy tube. Stick with what's tried and true.

    About the orange seal, I think it's the opposite. Orange seal seems to coat the whole tire and then dry leaving a completely airtight sealed tire. Stans just rolls around forever waiting for a hole. YMMV.

  66. #1066
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tuni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    23
    I will have to give it a try! thanks again for the 'real world' experience feedback; I always wonder with reading professional reviews how objective they can be when they are paid via advertising from the company's products they are reviewing.

  67. #1067
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    667
    No problemo!

  68. #1068
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tuni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    23

    27 tip DW's tubeless?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChargeCookerMaxi View Post
    No problemo!
    Three weeks later....and I apologize if this has already been discussed!

    Regarding my recent questions, is this doable if the DW's are 27 tpi/wire bead tires or does it only work if they are foldable tires?

    Thanks!

  69. #1069
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    70
    Essentially any tire can be set up tubeless. Some you will have to build up the rim with more tape to get a tight fit. I run the 27 tpi DW's tubeless. Well, the front. The rear has too many small holes near the bead so I just use a tube for it now. The front seems to work fine but some sealant is seeping through the sidewall now. Still works holds air fine though.

  70. #1070
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    667
    Quote Originally Posted by tuni View Post
    Three weeks later....and I apologize if this has already been discussed!

    Regarding my recent questions, is this doable if the DW's are 27 tpi/wire bead tires or does it only work if they are foldable tires?

    Thanks!
    Wire bead will work just fine! I've done it!

    Regarding the WTB Rangers previously discussed here, I took them on a whole two rides before getting a middle finger sized hole in one from a stick and two knobs ripped off the rear. UGH.

    But, Maxxis is now stocking the Minions again and I snagged a DHF and DHR 26x2.8. Hyped for them! Should get them Wednesday!

  71. #1071
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tuni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    23
    Thanks for the info! I was all ready to try it when I remembered the tires I had and so many folks are describing using foldable bead tires. As far as the rear with small holes, do you mean the rim or the tire itself? Sorry if a dumb question.

  72. #1072
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tuni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    23
    Looking forward to your review on those tires!

  73. #1073
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    667
    Quote Originally Posted by tuni View Post
    Thanks for the info! I was all ready to try it when I remembered the tires I had and so many folks are describing using foldable bead tires. As far as the rear with small holes, do you mean the rim or the tire itself? Sorry if a dumb question.
    He means the tire. Dirt Wizards can get holes in them very easily. They are not durable tires.

  74. #1074
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tuni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by ChargeCookerMaxi View Post
    He means the tire. Dirt Wizards can get holes in them very easily. They are not durable tires.
    Thanks that makes sense!

  75. #1075
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    91
    If I use the 10 mm track end chip, can I use a 135mm spaced hub?

  76. #1076
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    395
    Yes. The 10mm is for 135mm hub. 142mm hub takes a 12mm thru-axle.

  77. #1077
    mtbr member
    Reputation: HarMi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    53
    Instigator at skateboard park
    Last edited by HarMi; 07-25-2017 at 02:44 PM.

  78. #1078
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    667
    Hey Harmi!

    What rims did you use with your 24x4 setup?

  79. #1079
    mtbr member
    Reputation: HarMi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    53
    Quote Originally Posted by ChargeCookerMaxi View Post
    Hey Harmi!
    What rims did you use with your 24x4 setup?
    Hey, I'm using Halo SAS 24" wheels. If you want to use rear derailleur with 24x4 tires you may have to use 83mm cranks and 68/73 bottom bracket adapter.

  80. #1080
    Your bike sucks
    Reputation: Carl Mega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,413
    Quote Originally Posted by HarMi View Post
    Instigator at skateboard park
    Thanks for sharing - small crash and all. Northern European skateparks always seem to have a tone of unspoken tolerance and coordination (reflective of the culture in general) that doesn't always happen in the US. Always stood out to me on my visits - miss my summer trips.

  81. #1081
    Stubby-legged
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    994
    I am looking at going to a 27.5 wheels set for my (stock) small Gator.
    What rim choices are most settling on? Rim width?
    I hate to give up the tire volume of the wizards...

  82. #1082
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    91
    Anyone got an Instigator T-Shirt, size large, they'd be willing to part with?

  83. #1083
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    22
    Looking for rigid fork options. What forks have you guys had success with?

  84. #1084
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    70
    I've used the Surly ICT fork and the Voodoo Zombie 500 on my gator. Both pretty good. The ICT fits my 26 x 5.1 Vee 2XL for winter shredding, and would fit a 29+ tire if I want to try that sometime. Not the lightest rigid fork around, but rides well and has lots of bosses for mounting things.

    The Zombie fork is pretty nice too, fits 26+ tires easily or up to a regular 29" tire. Just barely fits the 4" Nate tire on a 50mm rim. Has a bit of nice flex to it, also steel. Hard to find these days though.

  85. #1085
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    22
    I'm running 27.5 wheelset (non-boost 15 x 100) and would throw the rigid fork on to use as a gravel grinder/adventure bike if that changes anything. Thanks!

  86. #1086
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    91
    Krampus fork

  87. #1087
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    418
    Surly Instigator Rigid

    Specialized Chisel Fork 480 axle to crown

    works well enough. Not sure how long I will keep it though as it feels way to close to my 1x1

  88. #1088
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    418

    And a few mushroom pics because I feel like it.



  89. #1089
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    667
    I bought some Nextie Crocodile 26+ hoops. 50 external, 43 internal. 460g each. Blue logos.

    CK, i9, Hadley, or Onyx hubs? Feedback welcome.

    I'm HYPED.

  90. #1090
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    418
    ...
    Last edited by rusheleven; 2 Weeks Ago at 12:33 PM.

  91. #1091
    mtbr member
    Reputation: HarMi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    53
    26+ Minions finally available in Finland. Awesome rough and grippy +tyres.2014 Surly Instigator-_20171001_155846.jpg

  92. #1092
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    667
    Couldn't agree more. I adore mine.

  93. #1093
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    70






    Yes + Minions for the win!! Still not available in Canada yet... but managed to score a very lightly used set from the US for a good deal. 120 tpi DHF, and 60 tpi DHR. Great combo, and fantastic tires so far.

    Putting them to the test on a variety of terrain so far and quite impressed. Much better in every way compared to the Dirt Wizard. Although not really a true 2.8, measuring slightly more than a 2.6 even on an i38 rim. Still plenty of volume as I'm running them around 13.5 psi f/r with good success even in rough terrain. Dirt Wizards would get all floppy and bottom out easily at that pressure. Running Procore in the rear.

    Stoked on these! Hopefully the rear will last as they are quite thin still for sharp rock riding, and the sidewalls are fairly exposed. I'm not sure I would want to ride these on my 50mm rims.

    Was also worried my i31 front rim would be too narrow for these, but it seems pretty great. Not overly round or light-bulby, and sidewall is a bit more protected.

    BTW nice vid Harmi, some good technical rock riding there

  94. #1094
    Stubby-legged
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    994
    Putting my gator up for sale. Mostly stock.
    Thinning the herd.
    Size small, rabbit holes and tubeless wizards..pm me for any details you may want.
    Also have dropout "chips" -ss, ss w/dhanger.

  95. #1095
    Rocks belong
    Reputation: 06HokieMTB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    4,458
    Works Components has good pricing on offset headsets right now. I highly recommend a -1* or -1.5* headset for your Instigator!

    Works Components (offset headsets, chain rings, etc.)
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Similar Threads

  1. 2014 Surly Pugsley & Moonlander colors
    By nitrousjunky in forum Fat bikes
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 09-30-2013, 08:17 AM
  2. Surly Instigator
    By alfiegee in forum Surly
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-30-2012, 08:09 PM
  3. Surly Instigator 29er: what do you think?
    By Iron_sparthan in forum Surly
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-26-2011, 09:11 PM
  4. Which fork? Surly Instigator VS Surly Troll
    By Bokchoicowboy in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-02-2011, 08:21 PM
  5. surly instigator
    By OS cuda' in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-26-2011, 09:27 PM

Members who have read this thread: 165

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •