Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011
Results 1,001 to 1,051 of 1051
    Your bike sucks
    Kyle - cool gallery and terrain riding regardless of the bike but extra neat since you're on the Gator.

Rooster - Are you sure those BB drop measurements are for 27.5 frames not 27.5+? Anyway- at some point you just have to stop fussing numbers and decide if you like the way the bike rides or not. Doesn't hurt to test ride something else and see if you are better off with a different geo - but you are within range and every change has pros/cons. Might be better to give the back-brain a rest from the processing and 'what ifs' and just enjoy the ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Agreed, Im still waiting on my wheels. All this number crunching is because I haven't ridden it with the 27.5s yet.

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyRooster View Post
    Also as I cross reference with other 27.5 AM HT I notice that all of them have lower bb drops usually in the range of 45-50mm drop were the 'Gator has a 30mm.
    Make sure you're comparing 27.5 hardtails and not 27.5+ hardtails

Here's a quick survey of aggressive HT bb drops:

Transition TransAM 27.5 - 35mm
    On One Dee Dar 27.5 - 33mm
    Production Privee Shan - 35mm
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Thanks for share those numbers. Those are pretty close. Of coarse those are not the bikes I looked at. Here are a few of the bikes I was looking at.
    Orange P7/Crush 27.5 - 48mm drop
    Ragley Blue Pig 27.5 - 50mm
    Staton Switchback - 43mm
    Staton Slackline - 50mm

I was wondering how you +/- headset was working out.
    I should be getting my wheels tomorrow can't wait to get on the trail
    Quote Originally Posted by 06HokieMTB View Post
    Make sure you're comparing 27.5 hardtails and not 27.5+ hardtails

Here's a quick survey of aggressive HT bb drops:

Transition TransAM 27.5 - 35mm
    On One Dee Dar 27.5 - 33mm
    Production Privee Shan - 35mm

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Ya so........all of my doubts were proven wrong with this bike. This bike is a beast with the new 27.5 wheels on it! Higher bb or not I lost 2 1/2 lbs on wheels alone. This thing is so much quicker in every which way!!! It charged downhill with less chatter then my 26" 2.5" tires to.
    Now I just need to dial it in for my short legged, short armed, long torso self.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Ya so........all of my doubts were proven wrong with this bike. This bike is a beast with the new 27.5 wheels on it! Higher bb or not I lost 2 1/2 lbs on wheels alone. This thing is so much quicker in every which way!!! It charged downhill with less chatter then my 26" 2.5" tires to.
    Now I just need to dial it in for my short legged, short armed, long torso self.
    Man that is my only complaint on the bike is it feels a bit heavy on the climbs. I've been debating a 27.5 wheelset to lighten up but have been debating if the traction/fun factor trade off would be worth it. I suppose having two wheelsets means you can pick a flavor of the day! What wheelset do you have and what'd it run you?

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by kablamo View Post
    Man that is my only complaint on the bike is it feels a bit heavy on the climbs. I've been debating a 27.5 wheelset to lighten up but have been debating if the traction/fun factor trade off would be worth it. I suppose having two wheelsets means you can pick a flavor of the day! What wheelset do you have and what'd it run you?
    So I went with the Stan's Flow MK3 on DT swiss 350 hubs with x-ray spokes on Maxis Ardents. Also, I went ahead and changed the cassette to a SunRace CSMX3 for the 40t gear. I got everything for $613 w/labor.

Bike went from 31.5lbs to 29lbs almost on the money. Was not expecting that. I had the same complaint on the climbs. It felt dead on climbs. I also did not like how sluggish it felt in the quick weaving in and out of trees and short quick berm transitions. Thats why I was so concerned with the bb height so much, but I guess the weight had a lot more to do with that because the bike feel great in those sections now. It feels like a completely different bike. So excited with the new changes. Its what I imagined the bike would be like when I first purchased it.
    If Im knit picking and finding a negative here Id say I did lose some grip on flat wet corners and on very steep muddy climbs. Going from the Minions to Ardents i guess that would be expected as the Minions is their DH tire and is meant to have a ton more grip. Once the conditions start to dry around here Ill see how much I can push the tire and see if the weight saving is worth it from the Minion.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    So I went with the Stan's Flow MK3 on DT swiss 350 hubs with x-ray spokes on Maxis Ardents. Also, I went ahead and changed the cassette to a SunRace CSMX3 for the 40t gear. I got everything for $613 w/labor.

Bike went from 31.5lbs to 29lbs almost on the money. Was not expecting that. I had the same complaint on the climbs. It felt dead on climbs. I also did not like how sluggish it felt in the quick weaving in and out of trees and short quick berm transitions. Thats why I was so concerned with the bb height so much, but I guess the weight had a lot more to do with that because the bike feel great in those sections now. It feels like a completely different bike. So excited with the new changes. Its what I imagined the bike would be like when I first purchased it.
    If Im knit picking and finding a negative here Id say I did lose some grip on flat wet corners and on very steep muddy climbs. Going from the Minions to Ardents i guess that would be expected as the Minions is their DH tire and is meant to have a ton more grip. Once the conditions start to dry around here Ill see how much I can push the tire and see if the weight saving is worth it from the Minion.
    SWEET! I got really compulsive and found a set of DT Swiss XM wheels (take offs from a Yeti ACR Carbon) with new Maxxis Ardent 2.25's on them. Just sent the cashola out for them now. Also have a dropper post, saddle, and new grips on the way. I'm really excited to have the versatility of both these wheelsets. Thank you for the help and inspiration. Send over an update later. By the way, where are you riding? Colorado here.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    no prob! Glad I can help! As a heads up my Ardents are 2.40's. So depending on the type of riding you are doing it might not feel as great. The dropper was a game changer too.
    Im in W. Oregon Portland area, its very wet out here. Even when its dry the dirt tends to stay damp for most of the yr. I think Colorado is more hardback and looser then us, I hope the Ardents are what you are looking for. The new wheels will blow your mind!

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    no prob! Glad I can help! As a heads up my Ardents are 2.40's. So depending on the type of riding you are doing it might not feel as great. The dropper was a game changer too.
    Im in W. Oregon Portland area, its very wet out here. Even when its dry the dirt tends to stay damp for most of the yr. I think Colorado is more hardback and looser then us, I hope the Ardents are what you are looking for. The new wheels will blow your mind!
    Good news is the new Ardents came on the wheels (straight take offs), so if I need to try a wider tire it's no biggie. I'll run these and see how it goes first. And yes... in CO it's always dry. A day after rain trails are dry! I live up in the mountains and all the trails are big climbs, techy, and chunky. Love it!

Rocks belong
    Was anybody here the guy riding down North Table Mtn in Golden yesterday on the Surly 'Gator?

I'm the guy that was trail running with his dog

Rocks belong
    FINALLY got my offset headset installed. Don't know the exact angle as Works said it would be closer to -1.5* than -1.0*... so lets call it -1.3*?

My 1-ride review?.... LOVE IT! Wish my 34 could be easily pushed out to 140mm (would require a whole new air spring assembly), but that would raise the BB. The bike is stable, planted and really, really fun.

Anyway, here's the deets:

Fox 34 27.5 130mm (524mm a2c)
    Works Components -1.3* headset

According to this website (geometryCalc) here is my current (unsagged) geo:

HTA: 65.5*
    STA: 72.5*
    WB: 1162mm
    ETT: 626mm
    Reach: 441mm
    Stack: 601mm

EDIT - At sag, this should be the geo:

HTA: 66.9*
    STA: 74*
    WB: 1149mm
    ETT: 621mm
    Reach: 459mm
    Stack: 590mm
    Last edited by 06HokieMTB; 4 Weeks Ago at 08:59 AM.

Rocks belong
    Oh, and I also swapped the 2.5 WTB Convict for a 2.6 Spesh Butcher GRID

i like that too

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Sounds like a sick setup, I like that. I've been pondering and angled headset myself but worried about stresses, riding bike parks and such and already having my fork slightly beyond spec (150mm). Tempting though.

I'd love to try some 650b wheels too, I bet 27.5 x 2.6's would be a pretty sweet spot for a lot of riding. Too bad I invested so heavily in multiple 26 wheel sets, and many 26" tires so I have wear those out first!

Also curious to try a rigid 69er setup on my gator with my fat fork. Throw a 29+ wheel on the front and keep 26+ rear.

Anyway, I just uploaded a video on PB of some cool shots from my winter riding on the 'gator:

https://www.pinkbike.com/video/470180/

Your bike sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle201 View Post
    Anyway, I just uploaded a video on PB of some cool shots from my winter riding on the 'gator:

Great vid! Makes me want to put a fat front on next winter.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Thoroughly enjoyed that vid. Thank you for the stoke!

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    You guys will not regret going 27.5. I switched over Spank Oozy 295's w/ SLX hubs and 2.35 Nobby Nics. It's a whole new animal and an absolute beast for a hard tail! I've switched from the cheap wellgo pedals I have on it in the pic to wellgo MG-6 magnesium flats, they are great! Very thin and light, build quality is superb. Also swapped to Deity Black Label 38 bars and Deity pivotal post and seat. Sorry don't know why the pics uploads sideways. It's normal on the iPad. 2014 Surly Instigator-img_0100.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Mega View Post
    Great vid! Makes me want to put a fat front on next winter.
    Thanks!! Yeah it's a pretty sweet setup. Perfect for downhill, though for some flat and climbing stuff I sometimes wish for more rear float. However with my 2.8 Duro Leopards that are very stiff, I can run them as low as 3 psi in the snow for pretty great float and snow grip.

Quote Originally Posted by rusheleven View Post
    Thoroughly enjoyed that vid. Thank you for the stoke!
    You're so welcome, glad you enjoyed it so thoroughly!

Here's another clip of me riding the steepest ice ever, that shouldn't even be possible to ride on a bicycle but is, thanks to some gnarly screwed tires.

https://www.pinkbike.com/video/470179/

Instigator is a sweet bike, though sometimes I wonder if a bit slacker would be nicer for me. Some internal routing would be nice too for a dropper, but I'm hesitant to push the frame too far beyond it's specifications, like using a slackset or drilling holes..

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    2014 Surly Instigator-18278580_539451080202_4783653633185367924_o.jpg

I picked up a set of DT Swiss take off wheels (27.5) from a Yeti ACR carbon (brand new) with Maxxis Ardents.

This is my first real trail ride with them and tackled a technical, aggressive climb. It's like a whole new bike. MUCH lighter, climbs better, more agile, and flickable. I don't see myself throwing on the Dirt Wizards unless I'm downhilling.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by 06HokieMTB View Post
    FINALLY got my offset headset installed. Don't know the exact angle as Works said it would be closer to -1.5* than -1.0*... so lets call it -1.3*?

My 1-ride review?.... LOVE IT! Wish my 34 could be easily pushed out to 140mm (would require a whole new air spring assembly), but that would raise the BB. The bike is stable, planted and really, really fun.

Anyway, here's the deets:

Fox 34 27.5 130mm (524mm a2c)
    Works Components -1.3* headset

According to this website (geometryCalc) here is my current (unsagged) geo:

HTA: 65.5*
    STA: 72.5*
    WB: 1162mm
    ETT: 626mm
    Reach: 441mm
    Stack: 601mm

EDIT - At sag, this should be the geo:

HTA: 66.9*
    STA: 74*
    WB: 1149mm
    ETT: 621mm
    Reach: 459mm
    Stack: 590mm
    This head set looks bad ass! The stack drops a little but I guess you can raise your bar to make up the difference if needed. I might go for it to. thanks for the update.

Sounds like a sick setup, I like that. I've been pondering and angled headset myself but worried about stresses, riding bike parks and such and already having my fork slightly beyond spec (150mm). Tempting though.

I'd love to try some 650b wheels too, I bet 27.5 x 2.6's would be a pretty sweet spot for a lot of riding. Too bad I invested so heavily in multiple 26 wheel sets, and many 26" tires so I have wear those out first!

Also curious to try a rigid 69er setup on my gator with my fat fork. Throw a 29+ wheel on the front and keep 26+ rear.

This video is flipping amazing!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	18278580_539451080202_4783653633185367924_o.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	225.6 KB 
ID:	1135047

I picked up a set of DT Swiss take off wheels (27.5) from a Yeti ACR carbon (brand new) with Maxxis Ardents.

This is my first real trail ride with them and tackled a technical, aggressive climb. It's like a whole new bike. MUCH lighter, climbs better, more agile, and flickable. I don't see myself throwing on the Dirt Wizards unless I'm downhilling.
    Thats how I feel, but I'll never use the DW 26+ set up again. So if anyone is interested in a set of DW on the rabbit hole, Id be willing to part with them. Im not knocking on the 26+ set-up its just not for me. Thats an awesome pic! Ill try to get one tomorrow when Im out on the trail(if I remember). What size is your bike? It looks so much longer then mine, which is a small.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Johnny Rooster - thanks. It's actually a small frame also. I can't find a dropper post that will work with my short saddle height But loving the bike set up like this now! I think the last stop will be new bars with a short riser.

Rocks belong
    Johnny Rooster - thanks. It's actually a small frame also. I can't find a dropper post that will work with my short saddle height
    Cut off the triangle gusseted part of the seatpost. Not kidding.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    2014 Surly Instigator-18278580_539451080202_4783653633185367924_o.jpg

Wow really? So it's essentially flush with the top tube?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Woah does that work? I've always wanted my seat tube to be slightly shorter... my 125mm dropper is slightly too long at full extension, and most other droppers have an even taller stack height than my KS so I figured I'd need a 100mm dropper if I got a new one.

If I could just cut like 5mm off the seat tube, without going past the brace that would be nice...

EDIT:

I found the thread where it was successfully done Shortening a Surly fatbike seat tube.

Interesting... I will try shortening it as close as I can to the brace and see if that's enough for me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Woah does that work? I've always wanted my seat tube to be slightly shorter... my 125mm dropper is slightly too long at full extension, and most other droppers have an even taller stack height than my KS so I figured I'd need a 100mm dropper if I got a new one.

If I could just cut like 5mm off the seat tube, without going past the brace that would be nice...

EDIT:

I found the thread where it was successfully done Shortening a Surly fatbike seat tube.

Interesting... I will try shortening it as close as I can to the brace and see if that's enough for me.
    Wow it must be an optical illusion. I got a 100mm fox on mine, just the right size when it's slammed and fully extended

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Im trying to upload a crappy photo of my bike and I can't figure it out

Rocks belong
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	18278580_539451080202_4783653633185367924_o.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	233.4 KB 
ID:	1135202

Wow really? So it's essentially flush with the top tube?
    Yep!

Bingo.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    That would most likely be me.... sorry if I startled you. Jason Hokie

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Hey Man. That would mostly likely be me...Jason I ride NTM all the time after work. Sorry if I scared you...

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by Jstar1973 View Post
    Hey Man. That would mostly likely be me...Jason I ride NTM all the time after work. Sorry if I scared you...
    Ha. We met each other at the bottom of the trail, right before Easley. We should meet up for a ride and do some Instigatin'!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Wow it must be an optical illusion. I got a 100mm fox on mine, just the right size when it's slammed and fully extended
    What do you mean 'optical illusion'?

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    What do you mean 'optical illusion'?
    It looks larger then a small frame

mtbr member
    ---
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2014 Surly Instigator-24x28_instigator_05.jpg  

2014 Surly Instigator-24x28_speccu_bigroller.jpg  

Last edited by HarMi; 2 Days Ago at 03:45 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    2014 Surly Instigator-img_0134.jpg ok attempting to post a crappy photo again

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Newly built in black with gravel B+ tires..

07 by b0000rdz, on Flickr

08 by b0000rdz, on Flickr

mtbr member

Repaint

Did you repaint it yourself or have it done? Powder coat?
    Quote Originally Posted by b00rdz View Post
    Newly built in black with gravel B+ tires..

07 by b0000rdz, on Flickr

08 by b0000rdz, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    My friend who owns a car painting shop did it for me. He used satin black automotive paint.

mtbr member
    After a year and a half of riding my Instigator as a single speed, I'm considering moving the 1x10 set up off my Surly Krampus and onto the Instigator to be able to take it on some longer rides/rides with more vertical than I get in the Albany, NY area.

If anyone switched their Instigator from single speed to geared, did it change the character of the bike? I'll be running a 34T Chainring with a Shimano XT Cassette/Derailleur with 11/36 gearing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by LonelyDwarfProd. View Post
    After a year and a half of riding my Instigator as a single speed, I'm considering moving the 1x10 set up off my Surly Krampus and onto the Instigator to be able to take it on some longer rides/rides with more vertical than I get in the Albany, NY area.

If anyone switched their Instigator from single speed to geared, did it change the character of the bike? I'll be running a 34T Chainring with a Shimano XT Cassette/Derailleur with 11/36 gearing.
    Dam your legs have got to be monsters riding it SS. What kind of riding were you doing and what gear were you running?

I don't think its going to change the characteristics much. I run mine with a 30t and a 11-40t. I don't like to tire myself out going up, 34t is way to high for me. I used to run the 11-36t cassette and changed that too, for the granny gear when needed. Id rather save most of my energy to bomb down. You do run yours SS so you probably have more strength in your legs then I do though.

mtbr member
    Dam your legs have got to be monsters riding it SS. What kind of riding were you doing and what gear were you running?

I don't think its going to change the characteristics much. I run mine with a 30t and a 11-40t. I don't like to tire myself out going up, 34t is way to high for me. I used to run the 11-36t cassette and changed that too, for the granny gear when needed. Id rather save most of my energy to bomb down. You do run yours SS so you probably have more strength in your legs then I do though.
    Haha, I don't have it geared that tall. It's set up at 34/19 right now. The riding I do is mostly quick ups/downs without much in the way of real climbing. I've got family in New Hampshire/Massachusetts where the climbs are a bit more serious, so its time to make the swap and ride the Krampus as a single speed monster truck on my local trails, will definitely be gearing that a bit lighter though, probably 35/21 or 22.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I can't help but think some Nextie rims with WTB Rangers would make the Gator even more incredible than it already is.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I ride my Gator Ss and geared and the ride feels the same- you will be fine.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Streichholzman View Post
    Hi,

here some pics of my build - the rims is a Velocity Dually 26'' internal 39mm external 45mm.

Cheers,
    Attachment 1045961Attachment 1045962Attachment 1045964
    Think a JJ4.0 would fit in the back or no?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Molasses View Post
    I ride my Gator Ss and geared and the ride feels the same- you will be fine.
    Thanks for the opinions! Now I just need to find a few hours to swap parts between the two bikes. I'll throw my thoughts on riding the 'Gator as a 1x10 together and share after a few rides.

mtbr member
    Two Instigators on pump track.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...s.php?id=90581

Never was a better time to have a Gator

mtbr member

maxxis tire option

[QUOTE=ChargeCookerMaxi;13180523]https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...s.php?id=90581

Never was a better time to have a Gator [/QUOTE

What tire would you suggest for the back if using this on the front as it is listed as a front specific? Would a Nard on the back work well together?

a friend suggested that with a Dirt Wizard on the front for a faster rolling gator

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    [QUOTE=tuni;13181431]
    Quote Originally Posted by ChargeCookerMaxi View Post
    https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...s.php?id=90581

Never was a better time to have a Gator [/QUOTE

What tire would you suggest for the back if using this on the front as it is listed as a front specific? Would a Nard on the back work well together?

a friend suggested that with a Dirt Wizard on the front for a faster rolling gator
    I'd use this guy

https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...s.php?id=90579

mtbr member

... and if we just ...

[QUOTE=ChargeCookerMaxi;13181576]
    Quote Originally Posted by tuni View Post

Ha Ha Duh! I didn't see the complimentary front/rear!!!
    Anyone tried this set up?

mtbr member
    L-size Instigator seat tube shortened 50mm. When saddle is in top position Instigator's original seat post is 150mm inside seat tube. Upper water bottle boss removed. Feels better to ride standing.
    2014 Surly Instigator-24pluslsizeinstigator02.jpg
    Last edited by HarMi; 11 Hours Ago at 02:33 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Instigator that's been run as 29"

I know that I've seen a few photos both on here and Surly's website with 29" wheels in the backend.

My question if anybody is still running the bike this way is how much room do you have between the seatstays/chainstays where the "bulge" of the tire tread is? I'd like to hear from a few guys that have done this. I've got extra parts from a 29er laying around and wanting to build something else up. I had one Instigator a while back, but this never crossed my mind at that point.

Thanks in advance!!

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011