mtbr member
    Sep 2014

2014 Pugsley Future Upgrades?

IF you were ever to add on to upgrade your '14 Pugsley, what would you do or have you done? I am still loving my recent purchase but am curious what is worth looking at towards the future (if anything at all.)

I plan to grab some Rabbit Hole rims by the end of summer and build up a second wheel set for the 29+ option.

Cheers,

Tim

Stubby-legged
    Jun 2006
    My two best upgrades are the alfine8 and the moonlander fork. We use our fatbikes for adventure only. Each ride is an adventure with the pugs!

My only upgrade that I miss is the FatLefty for Mendoncycle. I traded it for a White Bros. snowpack fork. I wish I could go back.....

mtbr member
    Deft recommend a 29+ wheel set, KramPug concept is great on trails
    I like Hope Pro 2 rear hubs too on my Pug wheels
    plan it...build it....ride it...love it....
    http://coastkid.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Cool..Mine has the Moonlander fork as built (I assume you mean the now standard non-offset fork).

I ride groomed snow-pack or anything I can in winter in New England and local MTB trails starting this summer here. I always wonder if there is a need or will ever be a need for a suspension fork.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by coastkid71 View Post
    Deft recommend a 29+ wheel set, KramPug concept is great on trails
    I like Hope Pro 2 rear hubs too on my Pug wheels
    Oh I've read about all of your Krampug thread and am planning to get quotes from LBS in the area next month. I am not able to lace up my own wheels (at least as far as I know).

I'm looking at adding on another wheelset as well. But probably a lighter 26" first. Not sold on the carbon rims just yet, so maybe the new DT Swiss BR2250, when they become available. Rest of the build is stock on my '13, and I'm happy with that.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I see prebuilt Rabbit Hole Rims at Niagara Cycle? Are they a decent deal? I do not remember if I read about them on the Krampug thread.

mtbr member
    Check out the Surly blog post from April 17, 2015, 2nd photo from the top.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    A 27.5+ Pugsley would be awesome.... 27.5 Mulefut rims should be out in a month or two.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by JAGI410 View Post
    A 27.5+ Pugsley would be awesome.... 27.5 Mulefut rims should be out in a month or two.
    I was wondering if a 27.5" Rabbit Hole Like rim might surface. I do not know enough to be sure what the advantage/disadvantages would be of 29+ versus 27.5+ but it seems like it might be a nice option.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Besides the rear rack, my Pugsley has Jones Loop bars and pogies so far. I've been thinking about a set of summer wheels, probably rabbit-holes; cheaper than a second bike!

Since this picture was taken, the front has been upgraded with a SON-135 dynohub. If you ride at twilight/night, I definitely suggest looking into good dynamo lighting. Worrying about batteries in the cold is no fun.

2014 Pugsley Future Upgrades?-pugsley-5.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I got 2014 Pugsley last year second hand. The previous owner upgraded the gears to shimano XT including shifters when he purchased it. I have Deore on my Ogre and i don't notice much difference with XT.
    Upgrades i plan to make when i get the chance are....

New bars with some rise. My front end is a little too low and the steerer has already been cut.

New brake levers. When the previous owner had XT shifters fitted he didn't notice or the bike shop didn't tell him that the Avid brake levers don't fit together very well with Shimano shifters. i can get the shifters where i want them but then the brake levers won't go where i want. Or get the brake levers good then the shifters are wrong, very uncomfortable!

Previous owner upgraded (a downgrade actually...) the front quick release skewer to a titanium one. FFS! Do i notice the weight saving on a Pugsley? i won't even answer that. Do i notice the quick release lever is tiny, doesn't clamp great and i have to check it every ride? Yes i do.

Grips that come stock are like some skinny mushroom grips. Too thin and small for me and since i am in Thailand i will never be wearing any gloves. To be comfortable i have to wear track mitts which i don't want use every ride.

I have put on some bar ends and wrapped some nice bar tape on them. Thats worth doing in my opinion.

Grips uncomfortable, bars too low, levers and shifters not at comfortable angles. You are probably thinking why don't i just sort it out? Well over here the shops don't have much stock and buying from outside of Thailand incurs a import tax of 30% on the products cost, the shipping cost has the 30% added to it also which just seems mental. When you add that all up a 7% sales tax is added on top.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    ...so far I have a set of Knards to be picked up (this week I hope) for summer. I am pricing at Rabbit Hole 29+ wheel set and have heard rumor of a compatible 27.5+ wheelset on the Krampug thread. Otherwise I did put ODI Yeti grips on which I am going to switch out to Rogues. I made a couple of other minor changes for personal preference (red headset spacers, seatpost clamp, rim strips....).

mtbr member
    +1 on 29+ for the Pugs. I got a set earlier this year, it honestly makes the Pugsley a true 2-in-1 bike.
    The only original parts left on my bike are the frame and the rear wheel. Everything else has been changed out over the years, and I can say without a doubt the Rabbit Hole / Knard combo is the best upgrade I have made to this bike.
    Last edited by efuss; 4 Weeks Ago at 03:32 AM. Reason: content

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Building mine from scratch, as a bikepacking companion to my 2 year old Krampus, which also only serve as a touring rig.

Xl Pugs w offset fork
    Thomson post, WTB Pure saddle
    70 mm stem, Jones new un-loop bars in 710, Ergon Race grips
    Marge Lites, 120 tpi Knards
    DT 350 rear, Surly SS front hubs
    DT Comp spokes, alu nipples
    OD Crank, 30/22, dingle cogs 20/28
    Shimano CX 77 mechanical disc brakes

Even with twice the budget I probably wouldn't change the formula much.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I also built mine from scratch, and would recommend the Jones loop bars along with a type 2 derailleur. I'm running offset front and back just in case.

Stubby-legged
    Jun 2006
    I have a White Bros carbon fork in the trade thread...looking for a lefty or good quality cranks set.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Marge lites, dt350 rear, paul front. 3.8 120tpi knards. No need for 29+ (oversized wagon wheels imo) less nimble. 27.5 + seems more reasonable but why go back skinny after going fat? Fat more capable. And plenty nimble/fast in the right hands.

See you in the am, tim

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    The best upgrades I made to my Pugsley were XT hydraulic brakes and a Bud on the front.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    oh and lite toobez

mtbr member
    My first upgrades was the Alfine hub and Jones Loop bar. Now just upgraded my tire from 3.8 Knard to a Ground Control 4.8 both front and rear and I'm glad there are still a decent 6mm clearance on both sides of the chainstay

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    When trails gets tougher, Just stand up and deliver.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullit_cn View Post
    My first upgrades was the Alfine hub and Jones Loop bar. Now just upgraded my tire from 3.8 Knard to a Ground Control 4.8 both front and rear and I'm glad there are still a decent 6mm clearance on both sides of the chainstay

Wow...I didn't think it'd fit. Please post follow-up after you ride. I'd think at 10 psi and lower the tire would rub the chainstays.

mtbr member
    I just ride around the parking lot and so far it is fine. My pressure are set at 9psi. Todays ride with the ground control on the front is confident inspiring so I decided to fit one on the rear. I was surprised with the decent clearance

When trails gets tougher, Just stand up and deliver.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Nice...I just bought 3.8" Knards for Summer and love them. I'd consider the GCs for Winter....