Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

2013 Big Dummy complete ETA?

I went to buy a 2012 and it appears they are all gone in 20" from QBP. I can still get a frameset but it financially makes more sense to go complete. Anyone know when the '13's are dropping?

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I was told after the first of the year if not longer. I went for a frameset and hope to get it on the road later in the week.

mtbr member
    When I was waiting for a 20" I had emailed Surly and they said soon, that they were actually putting some together. Fortunately I was able to try both a 20" and a 22" at a local shop and realized the 22" was a better fit. I checked recently with Universal Cycles and all sizes are now out of stock. Try emailing Surly directly and see what they say. I was really surprised they didn't change the color this year.
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    QBP just told my LBS mid November in case this helps anyone else- I stupidly talked myself into building one custom though, haha. Oh jeez

One What?
    Congrats and good luck.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by FastFix View Post
    Congrats and good luck.
    Thanks! I actually built up a frame at my LBS, they ordered everything yesterday, I just have to buy the Xtracycle stuff separately. I sort of went wayyyy over budget, ha ha, but it will be a nice one.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    My LBS is looking into getting a BD for me to test-ride. I hadn't heard that the complete bikes were Back-ordered right now... boo. My birthday is in a week; this will likely be a present to me and the kids.

New BD will be a Family-Mobile (1 peapod, + 1 kid on the FD, and stuff for park/groceries/etc). I keep going back and forth on whether to get the (cheaper) pre-built bike, or build one myself. Waiting for the guy at LBS who has built a bunch to get back to me.

Any suggestions from the crowd? Things I am pondering:
    Rear hydraulic brake, to reduce cable friction?
    I really like the look of the Jeff-Jones H Bars.
    Standard cassette, or is it worth getting an IGH? Maybe a N360?
    Get a seat I know works for me, vs the standard one?
    Any other questions I should be considering??

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Well, it definitely looks like mid-november for new BDs. I had an interesting experience ordering mine. I talked with 3 local LBSs, none of which knew much about the BD, including the closest Surly dealer. Worse, none of them seemed too interested in helping me; got very 'meh' vibes from them. Based on a couple of blog posts, I ended up 60 miles away at North Central Cyclery in DeKalb, IL. Toby was very interested in worknig with me, and it even looks like I can fit my BD into my wife's Fit once it's complete.

Test-driving the BD With the 3yo on stokers, and the 1.5yo in a backpack was fun! I can't believe how well it drives compared to a trailer.

Based on Toby's recommendation that I go with the Complete bike (value too good to match otherwise), I ended up with:
    2011 BD Complete (in any color as long as it's black)
    Ergon Platform pedals
    Schwalbe Big-Apples (replaces Contintental T&C)
    Jim-Jones Loop H-bar (Replaces stock bar).
    Stoker (will probably use original bar set

My 3 year old begged to Bike home on the Big bike (it would be a 4-6 hour ride!). Of course, it's a mid-November projection for new bikes as reported previously.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    That's great evandy!

Know the feeling with the LBS thing.The good news,like you, once you find the right one it becomes fun again.
    cool to read it fill fit in the FIT (My other car too )

Hope all goods smooth with your new Dummy. Lucky Dog!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I'll try to take a picture of the BD in the Fit. Should be amusing... huge cargo bike in teeny tiny car.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Just got a call from my LBS... Surly has pushed the availability date back to January for BD-Completes. However, NCC managed to sweet-talk and/or arm-wrestle a bike for me out of them anyways. I should get mine in the next week or two, once NCC gets it in-house and built up.

North-Central Cyclery gets some bonus points from me on this one... they have had GREAT customer service so far.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by evandy View Post
    I'll try to take a picture of the BD in the Fit. Should be amusing... huge cargo bike in teeny tiny car.
    Picture of Dummy-in-a-fit is now up over on the cargo-bikes forum: A new Dummy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by evandy View Post
    Picture of Dummy-in-a-fit is now up over on the cargo-bikes forum: A new Dummy
    Ah i missed meeting you. My name is Chad, i did the assembly on that sweet machine. I was inspired enough from building it to order myself a Dynamo hub too!

See you around, have a blast.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Hand/of/Midas View Post
    Ah i missed meeting you. My name is Chad, i did the assembly on that sweet machine. I was inspired enough from building it to order myself a Dynamo hub too!

Thanks Chad! You guys at NCC were fantastic to me; you may be a 75 minute drive away, but it was worth it. Beware on that hub: I had to order a connector for my light separately. There's always at least 1 piece missing from a new bike; that was mine.

Tobie is trying to convince me to take the old 54cm Cross-Check off his hands. I tooled around on it while he was cutting my fork post, and that was one fun bike. I think I'd want DT or headset shifters instead of bar-end, though. No more bikes until after christmas, though.

mtbr member
    Hi there Folks,

as a long time 1X1 Rider (since '99) I'm about to pull the trigger on a Big Dummy Frame (as secondary commute). Right now the only size left a the local importer is 22". Would be quite a stretch, especially with a 4-5Y old kid in the back (the 1X1 ist 20"). Now I've seen some listings stating a new colour for Preorder (grey or dark grey). Does anybody know something about a colour change, and ift thats something like "not so dark black" or something brighter?
    If it's much brighter, I might try to get a 2012 frame...

Cheers
    Dan

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Last I heard was that the 2013 Dummy was just like the Model-T... Any color you like as long as it's black. The Surly site says that the current color is "Tar Pit Black"... so I don't think I'd worry about it being grey at all somehow.

mtbr member
    I wouldn't either, if it was'nt for these UK listings:
    @practicalcycles UK = Big Dummy in dark grey

@ billys.co.uk = Surly Big Dummy frame in dark grey

Edit @ isondistribution it's listet in dark grey too

Since there has never been a grey version and on the first shop it's for preorder, it seems there is something sneaking along.

Over here on the continent (GER) the distributor is expecting the next shipment in early/mid march and no info on colourchange...

I would'nt care if it was "brighter black", but anything brighter would be a shame. Hmmmm

Cheers
    Dan

Edit2: After more search there seem to fly some listings in the interweb, wich state a "new" colour "asphaul grey" and this is no typo...
    Seems to be grey like asphalt but with a little haul in it...

Can't wait to see the first spottings on the next tradeshow!
    Damn if it's anthracite-coloured I have to pull the trigger... have been too long without a bike in that colour.
    Last edited by huhue; 02-06-2013 at 10:47 PM.

mtbr member
    @ride2rock.jp they have it listet as Asphaul-Grey (new), Tar-Pit-Black.

Would be nice if it was a very dark grey and black decals...

mtbr member

New Colour and Accessories for 2013

Finally it's official,

the new colour is called Asphault Grey, but the more interesting thing is, that surly is offering their own accessories and racks!

Check the 2013 catalog on page 10(16) you can see:

Big Dummy Deck - all new aluminium deck gets attached directly on new rails without hooks

Big Dummy Rails - all new Rails (black) with threads for bottles and deck mounting

Big Dummy Bags - all new bags with roll up rain flap and "We also included little details like stainless steel drainage and
    cinch cord grommets, replaceable cinch cords, and replaceable wear patches at the disc caliper and derailleur
    contact points."

They come with the complete, and will be available as an aftermarket item!

Man I can't wait for those, but our importer has said, that new stock won't arrive before mid year...
    Does anybody know if the frameset will include the new deck/rails/bag? Since this year has seen quite a substantial rise in the price for the frameset that would be great!

Cheers
    Dan
    Last edited by huhue; 11-29-2013 at 10:20 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by huhue View Post
    They come with the complete, and will be available as an aftermarket item!
    Dan
    That's good to know. Hopefully that new deck will work with the old rails. If it does I'll pick one up for sure.
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

mtbr member
    It says, that the new deck is compatible with the old rails if you use the superhooks.

Cheers
    Dan

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Hand/of/Midas View Post

Hey Chad,
    nice to see another new dyno-hub convert. They are best damn thing since sliced bread in my book. Mine keeps my lights lit at night and my gps and phone charged during the day. When touring there is nothing worse than having to sit in a campgrounds bathroom or laundry waiting for your stuff to charge, often for a couple of hours. I use an E-werk to organise my items current/voltage needs but its easy via the cache battery set up using USB connectors.
    Happy Spinning!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Nice find! I'm eager for more info on the bags.

Not real thrilled with the current FreeLoader design. They work but something more covered/waterproof would be nice. They're also much heavier than the original FreeLoaders. I know we're not in lightweight territory with the Dummy but they've always struck me as heavier than necessary.

mtbr member
    Xtracycle is also reworking the freeloaders, you will find them in one of their videos.
    But other than the Surly bags, the rain flaps on the Freeloaders mk3 will be detachable.
    That might work for some, but I would prefer the fixed flaps of the surly bags.

Considering the new racks/deck the catalog says: "Xtracycle’s Longtail standard compatible. Bolt on deck with rear bottle cage bosses for mounting whatever you want (except live animals or people)."
    Does that mean that the new deck is not made for transporting persons, or does it just say that you should not bolt your passengers to it...?

I'm slightly confused. Is surly pushing the expeditionary/touring use of the dummy here, and dumping the family/utility market?

We'll see, I'm really looking forward to the bags, they might be just exactly what I was looking for. The new racks are cool, but I'm not sure if it's possible to mount the Flightdeck on it or if it's possible to mount a kiddy seat on the Big Dummy Deck...

Hmmmm
    Last edited by huhue; 02-16-2013 at 06:33 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Yeah I checked out the new Xtracycle prototype bags at Interbike. They were really nice, lightweight and durable. Waiting to see what their final design turns out to be.

I've also been thinking about getting someone like Porcelain Rocket to just make custom bags exactly how I want them. Haven't really decided how I want them though.

Since Surly's rails are built to Xtracycle's specs I'm sure the Flightdeck would work.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast