Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    mtbr member
    Huhue, thanks for posting all this. Of course I'm intrigued by the Dummy rails and bags but don't really need the rails or Dummy Deck. I like that there are a lot more options and that Surly is offering a system that is more touring/camping/expedition oriented. The reality is that my Dummy is primarily being used for urban use and the X2 bags look perfect for my needs.
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

mtbr member
    Thanks dfltroll,

I start to think the same on the bags.
    Sorry for the rant before, I just think that surly could have achieved the adventure capability without axing the people hauling capability!
    If they had made the deck out of recycled plastic with all the strap holes in it like devo designed it, you would have had the best of both worlds...

Cheers
    Dan
    Last edited by huhue; 03-17-2013 at 05:16 PM.

og1
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Has there been any new info on availability date(s) of the new frames, or more importantly the Surly cargo gear? Im getting ready to buy a dummy frameset and would like the gray if its not going to be forever wait.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by og1 View Post
    Has there been any new info on availability date(s) of the new frames, or more importantly the Surly cargo gear? Im getting ready to buy a dummy frameset and would like the gray if its not going to be forever wait.

As far as I can tell, in Europe the new frames should arrive end of April in 18" and 20". The ETA of the 16"er is pushed back to end of july and no estimate on the 20" is given.
    These should all be the new gray frames. If the Big Dumb Cargo Kit Comes at a similar date, I have no idea!

Cheers
    Daniel

og1
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by huhue View Post
    As far as I can tell, in Europe the new frames should arrive end of April in 18" and 20". The ETA of the 16"er is pushed back to end of july and no estimate on the 20" is given.
    These should all be the new gray frames. If the Big Dumb Cargo Kit Comes at a similar date, I have no idea!

Cheers
    Daniel
    cool thanks!

og1
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Picked up a '12 frame at the LBS today as I decided I'd rather have black. According to them the Surly cargo kits will not be shipping until "Fall."

mtbr member
    I finally got my 20" frame on friday... (after 8 1/2 month...) The colour is a blast, very nice. I ordered a set of bags and the dummy rails. The deck will be diy.

Pictures will follow...

mtbr member
    I finally got my 20" frame on friday... (after 8 1/2 month...) The colour is a blast, very nice. I ordered a set of bags and the dummy rails. The deck will be diy.

Pictures will follow...
    Congrats! When you post pictures could you include some close ups of the new bags?

I was out on my Big Dummy yesterday for a mixed terrain ride. Love that bike. Like I've said many times before, if I didn't have to haul it out of the basement it would be my daily ride. I've been giving a lot of thought to swapping out the stock tires for some Schwalbe Big Bens or Big Apples.
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I have BA's on my Dummy, and I love them. Just a little cush, and not too much drag. I got them because with kid/grocery hauling, I knew that I'd have a good bit of weight on the bike, and all the reviews I had on them were stellar.

That said, I haven't ridden the stock tires, so I don't really have a good comparison...

mtbr member
    I've the Maxxis Hookworms DH on my Dummy. This is the heaviest tire i've ever owned... good training though.

mtbr member
    My BD is coming together nicely...

I got the Surly Rails and Bags. The first set of bags was missing one of the velcros to tie up the rain flap, so it was sent back and replacements are on my Dummy now.
    The straps that mount the bags to the rails are very thick, you probably will have issues without the studs on the XtraCycle racks. I had my first small cargo runs (small bathroom shelf to the recycling yard and the donor bike frame back home... ;-)) So far all is working as intended. I ordered a standard flight deck to check if there is a possibillity to mount that on the studded Surly rails... (not sure about that). The flight deck might be to narrow, for drilling holes in the edges of the board... I'll keep you updated when the flight deck arrives.

cheers

mtbr member
    It's really a shame Surly does not want us to have this:

Flightdeck on Dummy Rails...

The problem with this is, you have to bend the rails quite a bit inward to have enough material around the screw heads. On the other hand this has the welcome sideeffect, that the whole rack becomes very stiff. Also only time will tell if the studs can cope with the weight. To go the safe route, I'll tie the whole construct with metal struts to the frame, when I add the kids seat...

Cheers
    Last edited by huhue; 11-27-2013 at 05:29 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I'm running Conti Town & Country, which I think comes stock on some builds. They were on sale at Performance for something like $14/each. Seems to work fine. If I were doing more fireroads, I would probably go with Schwalbe Mondials. I may get them anyway when the Conti's wear out.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I got my Dummy right before Surly's own racks and deck came out. I actually really like the Xtracycle Flight deck. I was able to drill some brackets for mounting a rear light, and it's a much better platform for people (like my daughters) to sit on than Surly's metal deck. IF you're going mostly cargo, I think Surly's deck makes sense. But for people, I really like the Flight Deck.

On the tire front... My dummy came with T&Cs, but I upgraded them to the 2.35" Schwalbe big apples. Not much rolling resistance, and a good bit of cushion. If you want something a little wider, I'd check out the BAs.

mtbr member
    The Downhill Hookworms (with Maxxis DH tubes) are definitely a training asset... Damn, this rig accelerates like a Boat... As soon as I switch to my 1X1 with not very light Marthon Plus tires, I feel like riding a race bike... ;-) Having a geared setup is a necessity with such a heavy rig. On the other hand I need some workout, so it's welcome. For middle of the road setups I would recommend Big Apples or Big Bens in 2.35".
    What I love about the Hookworms, is the cush ride, I can ride them with very little pressure, so that road and trail bumps get softened quite a lot. This is also a concern when riding with kids, since their spine will get punished by those bumps too...

cheers

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    What I love about the Hookworms, is the cush ride, I can ride them with very little pressure, so that road and trail bumps get softened quite a lot. This is also a concern when riding with kids, since their spine will get punished by those bumps too...

cheers
    Extra cush for the rear passengers would be nice. Maybe something like a 3" memory foam strapped to the deck may solve that issue, if it becomes a problem for me. Or maybe a pair of Dirt Wizards...

An Even Bigger Dummy | Blog | Surly Bikes

mtbr member
    Just a pic from one of the test rides through the local woods...

The yellow strips are velcro ankle straps, which I cut in half and put on the corresponding velcro areas on the bags.
    Apart from that it's a pretty standard Dummy build, with a Deore, Avid, Huegi mix of parts. Alfine generator and B&M Lighting system. I added a passenger bar and am contemplating a seating solution for my 5Y old...

Which is not so easy, since he is betwheen 2 different kid seat sizes, but I'll probably go with the Yepp Junior, since the Maxi is already on the small side for him, and the Junior will last a little longer. It's a pity that kids seats are mandatory over here, so no sitting on the deck until he's 8Y... (he probably won't ride on the dummy at this age anyway...

Cheers
    Last edited by huhue; 11-29-2013 at 10:30 AM.

mtbr member
    Finished the seating accomodations:

The center of mass gets pretty high with the Yepp system, compared to deck riding, but there was still not a lot of wobble in the whole setup (ca. 44 pound passenger). I might be able to reduce the flex of the Dummy Rails by locking them to the seatstays, via some cork or plastic blocks... hmmmm...

ps. by the way... Junior had loads of fun riding on dads "Big Bike"... totally worth it!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Huhue, thanks for posting the pic of that kid seat, I had no idea those existed! My son is outgrowing his Yepp Maxi, but he is still 4 and there are times that he would still ride with me (urban riding, or when he gets tired of pedaling) but I dont want to just have him sit without being in a proper seat.

Also, your concerns from a week ago about the mounting hooks for the deck, my bolts are holding up just fine.
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3