Thread: 2012 LHTs

mtbr member

2012 LHTs

I was reading the Hiawatha Cyclery blog and noticed that there was mention of more braze-ons on the LHT fork. Very interesting.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-dLh2iF8-vy...rownapples.htm

I'm looking forward to seeing the new Disc Truckers which should be landing sometime soon.

Here's a link to the HC blog and a post with some musings on Surlys.

Hiawatha Cyclery: The good old days of 2008, and now
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

mtbr member
    I've built some of these up and the color is one of the best hues of dark green i have seen on a bicycle. i <3 it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I wonder if crown-height braze-ons would make it earlier to use a surly front rack.

I can relate to the blog w/ my LHT and CC; different wheel sizes, different drivetrains...

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    The disc truckers have landed. Now in stock at Universal Cycles according to my email alert.

mtbr member
    So who has pulled the trigger on a Disc Trucker? It's tempting to sell my LHT and get a DT. If anyone has one, post pictures. Thanks!
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I'm wondering if Surly will be selling the disk trucker forks...

I wonder if ther is any additional reinforcement of the frame for the disk brakes that would create a safety issue by putting a disk trucker front fork on a 2007 LHT frame. Hmmmm?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jimcross View Post
    I'm wondering if Surly will be selling the disk trucker forks... ?
    They sell all the other models' forks seperately, so I think there's good odds they'll sell the DT fork too.

Quote Originally Posted by jimcross View Post
    I wonder if ther is any additional reinforcement of the frame for the disk brakes that would create a safety issue by putting a disk trucker front fork on a 2007 LHT frame. Hmmmm?
    Surly probably doesn't recommend putting a DT fork on an older LHT frame, just like they don't recommend changing wheel sizes or clamping on kickstands. But people do that stuff anyway without issue. My somewhat informed, but ultimately uneducated guess is that it should be fine since the torsional forces on the frame itself would be mainly coming from the back wheel. But if you are running a mullet, the torsional forces of the disc brake are only on the fork and maybe the stem/handlebars. I don't see how it would torque the rest of the frame. Anyway, people run mullets on old mountain bikes all the time (or at least used to), and I've never heard of it leading to broken frames.