mtbr member
    Feb 2011

1x1 seatstay tubing diameter?

Hello all...

Wondering if anybody could tell me the diameter of tubing the 1x1 is using on the seatstays? I have been toying with the idea of getting a surly 1x1 and using the gates carbon belt system on it. I have seen a few threads how the 1x1 has been opened up and plated in the slider but I would prefer to use a tube splitter like the one Paragon components is making. They have two different sizes 5/8" or 3/4". If anybody could be of some help it would be much appreciated. Thanks,
    Vince

Pin it!
    Those Paragon kits look nice. It's similar to what Groovy Cycles did to a prototype frame - Groovy Cycles Blog

Goovy Cycles different attempted of a coupler design,

I took some measurements off my 1x1 -

Like most frames, Surly has tapered tubing with the larger diameter up by the seat tube.

This location would be perfect for a coupling install but Paragons parts are not that small

It might take some slight modifications to the Paragon parts to make everything fit just right. Good luck

Oh, not to turn you away from the Surly 1x1 but Vassago recently posted their new 29er aluminum frame that looks like it will fit the custom belt drive bill just perfectly. I predict it would take about 3min and a hacksaw to modify this frame for a belt install - chupacabra

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    thanks for the helpful info..Im still deciding what frame to build off. I noticed how the frame does taper to a smaller diameter with the surly. I have some ideas Im working on...may just use a different frame all together. Im begionning to wonder if it is really worth the cost and effort to swap out to the belt drive system. Im just a dumbass who wants to have different stuff than everybody else.