mtbr member

1x1 rear wheel mounting questions

I have a 1x1 frame I am slowly building, and recently picked up a set of Bontrager Race Disc Tubeless wheels to use. The rear wheel has a standard quick release skewer with a Bontrager 9speed cassette rear hub. I plan on removing the cassette and spacing out the single cog. That said, I am not sure on what to do as far as securing the rear wheel in the track ends.

My questions are.
    1. Will I have to convert the rear hub to a bolt on axle (if even possible), or can I use it the way it is? (I have heard of using the Surly tuggnut with the reducing washer, but the skewers seem too short for that, plus, what happens on the non-drive side?)

2. Using this hub, what is the best method for mounting on my frame so I don't have rear wheel movement in the track ends?

Any imparting of knowledge is gratefully appreciated!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Surly Tuggnuts.

mtbr member

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by Saddle Up View Post
    Surly Tuggnuts.
    In addition to chain tensioners, consider a bolt-on skewer, like the kind advertised for better security when you lock you bike outside.

mtbr member
    Paid a visit to the LBS and they prescribed a DT Swiss skewer/Tuggnut combo. I'm a ways off from completing the build but I feel confident with these parts.

Side note, they had a pair of SLX hydros new takeoffs for $200 for the set. Good Price?

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    yup want to use a tugnut of some sort... also ideally want to use a shimano type QR for the extra clamping force Bicycle Quick-release Skewers
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I have a surly tugnutt for trade in the SS parts swap thread. I had good luck with it and keeping the QR skewer.