Thread: 1x1 geo change

mtbr member

1x1 geo change

Looks like the 1x1 has a shorter top tube now, about half an inch on all sizes. Surprised to see surly messed with the geometry, considering it hasn't changed in over 10 years. Anyone know what the story is?

lpt1
    1x1 frameset geometry and style hasn't changed from beginning to 2010, except for disk brake mounts, that was added in 2004.

in 2011 model year Surly dramatically changed all their mtb frames, 1x1 was not exception.
    Straight fork, more suspension correction, more slopping, small brace near top and seat tube and some sizing changes.

mtbr member
    According to the geo charts, the 1x1 has a shorter top tube across all frame sizes by a half an inch.

It used to have the geo that is on the troll page, I don't know when it changed, but it now has a shorter top tube. Which is funny, because it wasn't exactly a super long bike in the first place.

Is it a typo?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    The geometry for the 1x1 on the Surly page is for an older frame. Check out the fork length. It's 413mm whereas the new one is 453, the same as the Troll.

mtbr member
    gotcha, the top tubes got longer when the updated the frames, not the other way around.

Thanks for clearing that up.

mtbr member
    I guess this goes to show how useless geometry charts are. After all the changes, are the old and new frames still essentially the same?

Ie: trail, stack, reach, etc?

I can't tell by looking at these numbers...

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Yeah, it's a bummer Surly, as well as others, does not list the stack and reach. Much more useful numbers for comparisons.

Old and new are different by virtue of the fork length change. Do they ride different? Probably not by much since Surly likes to keep a "neutral" "rides like a bike" mentality. I have a Troll and find it is a very "neutral", but good, ride.

mtbr member
    I have the old frame. Just looking at the geometry chart, it looks like the front end of the new version is higher and longer than the old one. The 1x1 was definitely due for a revamp, you can't even find a decent 80mm fork anymore, but I kind of thought they would stick with that geo for ever.

I guess my frame has a neutral steering feel, but it is definitely a face down, ass up, knee out, cross country bike.