mtbr lurker

1x1 beach bike ideas...

I'm toying with the idea of building a sand bike out of a 1x1 with 26 x 1.75 cruiser wheels and a 3.0 kenda flame tire. I'm doing this to save money over a pug/3.7 tire/large marge combo. Will this tire fit on the 1x1, is this even a good idea? I like it because I could swap out the wheels, add some v brakes and have another mountain bike.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    pretty sure someone had the kenda flame's with large marges on their 1x1... but for sand I think you'll want a wider rim... I recall there was some 2.35" or so tires that people where tossing on large marges and spreading out to almost 3" for pretty cheap... if I was willing to cut my canti studs you could fit a 80mm rim.

also with a 30ish mm rim you can fit an endomorph on the fork...

but in the end by all accounts it still won't be near the sand bike a real pug would be.
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Go over to MTBR's Fat Bike forum and do a search, you'll find a ton of pics and info.

Searching for "1x1", "plump bikes" or "semi-fat" should get you more than enough hits.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

LM/Gazz

I used a 1x1 w/ Large Marges and 3.0 Gazzoladi as my second beach bike. Bike was great. Hated the tires.

Pat

mtbr lurker
    Its good to hear that it will fit, I was looking to stay away from surly wheels to save money, 1.75 cruiser wheels are so cheap they're almost disposable and I think a coaster brake would be fun. now I'm just not sure if I should go with a smooth tread or not.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Good

This is good to know

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

LM/Schwalbe Muddy Marys

The tires are a big (64mm) 2.4 and available from the mother ship QBP. Seems to be the prefered choice these days.