Thread: 1x1/Alex/Endo?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

1x1/Alex/Endo?

Fellow Surlyites,

I'm sure this question has been asked too many times, but I'll ask anyway. Will an Endo on an Alex DX-32 rim fit in a 1x1?

Thanks and Happy Solstice!

Pat in dark Alaska

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I put an Endo on a Rhynolite and it didn't fit in the back. The tire is too tall.

Not sure if it'll fit in the fork, but I'd guess it would be close.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Thanks

That's what I thought and it probably won't work with the DX-32 either. I have everything but the Rim and will post my findings when I get one.

Thanks again,

Pat

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by patirwin View Post
    I'm sure this question has been asked too many times, but I'll ask anyway. Will an Endo on an Alex DX-32 rim fit in a 1x1?
    Are you trying to fit it in the fork or as the rear?

When you get it built up please post the measurement. I noticed that the Troll has a lot of space above the canti posts and was wondering if a Larry would fit on a narrow rim...

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    from everything i've read you arne't going to fit anything larger then a 3" out back... up front it's prob about the same... but you can change the fork pretty easily ;-)

here are a few posts i've bookmarked about the 1x1 for fat bike (and a 29er) info... basically you can run up to a large marge (68mm?) but can only run a 3" tire...

Surly 1x1 widest tire rim sizes.
    Stubpugs alive and well
    Fat rim options for Surly 1x1(besides large marge)
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

bikewrider.blogspot.com
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by patirwin View Post
    Fellow Surlyites,

Thanks and Happy Solstice!

Pat in dark Alaska
    Pat,

You didn't have to put Porky out to pasture did you?

Ben Couturier had an endo up front with a DX-32. I think he shaved the outside knobs and maybe "adjusted" the fork with a little heat.
    I picked up a 1x1 last month and shoved an Endo up front on the slightly narrower Alex DM24 rim. The outside knobs brush just a little bit, but not terrible, I haven't trimmed them. I tried it on a SunRingle double wide and it didn't work with.
    the wider rim.
    I'd be curious to try a shaved Larry or Nate just for grins.

I had no luck making it fit in back.

Years ago I met some goofy guy in Alaska who had a torch and some beer on a dark winter day. He added 2" to the chainstays on a pink 1x1 to make an endo on fat rims fit in the back. . . He was a nice fella. I wonder what ever happened to him.

Ben fit endo/marge in back after a bit of heat it and beat it treatment.

Let us know how it works out.

-Nathan
    (formerly of the Little Red Cabin)

Bike wRider
    Last edited by Bike wRider; 01-27-2012 at 12:58 AM.

Stubby-legged
    Jun 2006
    The husker du is a shorter tire. As well as a little narrower than the endo/larry I had on my pugs.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike wRider View Post
    Pat,
    Porky need a new fork or something?

Ben Couturier had an endo up front with a DX-32. I think he shaved the outside knobs and maybe "adjusted" the fork with a little heat.
    I picked up a 1x1 last month and shoved an Endo up front on the slightly narrower Alex DM24 rim. The outside knobs brush just a little bit, but not terrible, I haven't trimmed them. I tried it on a SunRingle double wide and it didn't work with.
    the wider rim.
    I'd be curious to try a shaved Larry or Nate just for grins.

Years ago I met some goofy guy in Alaska who had a torch and some beer on a dark winter day. He added 2" to the chainstays on a pink 1x1 to make an endo on fat rims fit in the back. . . He was a nice fella. I wonder what ever happened to him.

Ben fit endo/marge in back after a bit of heat it and beat it treatment.

Let us know how it works out.

-Nathan
    (formerly of the Little Red Cabin)

Bike wRider
    how does it ride with the skinny rim and the super fatty tire?.... i'm wanting to try out the fat front and not having to go hole hog right away would be nice for just a try
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

bikewrider.blogspot.com
    Jun 2011
    Funny that the H-Du would have a lower profile. I hadn't really even considered it because it claimed 4.0 girth. I take any tire width spec with a grain of salt, but when a 3.7 barely fits I wasn't too inclined to consider dropping $ on a 4.0 experiment.

The Endo works quite well on the "skinny" rim. Funny that a rim that is 5mm wider than the Salsa "Gordo" (spanish for fat) is considered skinny. It's all relative.

Honestly I think the Endo is better on a skinny rim up front than when I've ridden it on LrgMrgs. It ends up with a more rounded profile, which I tried to capture on camera, and doesn't have the cornering troubles I've noticed on wider rims.
    Obviously its footprint isn't as massive, but it has certainly been adequate, and an inexpensive and fun experiment. Even on the "skinny" rim I can run it at <10psi if necessary.

As you can see in the photo, not much clearance, but enough. Trimming the side knobs or getting the wheel PERFECTLY true would leave me with 0 rubbing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1x1/Alex/Endo?-img_0532.jpg  

1x1/Alex/Endo?-img_0533.jpg  

1x1/Alex/Endo?-img_0535.jpg