mtbr member
    Oct 2004

180mm rotor to ease KM rear wheel removal ?

(I used the "search" function and tried to review past posts too but did not find what I looked for....)

My 2004 KM is set with BB7/160mm, it's a "L" size and with old monkey nuts on. It's a well known fact that removing the rear wheel is not user-friendly since one has to loosen the brake caliper and rotate it upward before sliding the wheel out of the dropouts.

This issue may be adressed by using "wavy" rotor instead of circular one, or by sawing the dropout so the wheel does not have to be moved backward to get out of the frame.

I have another option remaining in the depth of my subconcious but can't say if it's true or not : going from 160 to 180mm rotor will cure the dreaded rear wheel removal syndrom... Seems to good to be true, can anyone confirm this third option ?

Please note that my question does not concern recent (2010-2011-2012 ?) KM design that have a different rear brake mount than previous ones as far as I know.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    Unfortunately no, it doesn't make a difference. The 180 or 185mm adapter simply moves the caliper out 10 to 12.5mm. But it stays in the same relative position in all other respects. That and the increased diameter of the rotor fills the extra space. So the relationship between the rotor and caliper remains the same, just a bit further out from the axle. The caliper still sits below the top of the rotor, so must be moved out of the way when removing the rear wheel.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    On my 09 Red KM, I used a 160mm Roundagon rotor with a BB7 rear brake. With the monkey nuts installed, I can remove the wheel without moving the caliper. I just rotate the wheel, so that rotor's flat spot is level and it will slide right through the caliper.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I put a 180 rotor with a 185 adapter on mine and it works just fine to make it easy to remove the wheel.