Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Giant anthem 27.5 sizing for 5'10". Medium with stock 100mm stem, or Large with 60mm?

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  2m2hs 
#1 ·
Giant anthem 27.5 sizing for 5'10". Medium with stock 100mm stem, or Large with 60mm?

Aloha everyone

I am 5'10 (178cm) in height, and inseam is 31-32".

I had a MEDIUM 2014 Anthem 27.5 2, which was stolen a few months ago, and I am waiting on the 2016 model as an insurance replacement.

The mediums are not expected before January next year, and the large is IN STOCK!

I am basically a roadie, and the Anthem was my first Mountain bike. When I bought it back in summer, I felt it was a little cramped in MEDIUM size, especially the cockpit. It had the STOCK 100mm Giant stem on it with 690mm handlebar.

The Giant mechanic in the shop insisted that the medium is the right one for me, and that in mountain bike riding, the bike SHOULD FEEL SMALL underneath the rider for better control and agility? It was my first mountain bike, s I took his word for it. I tried a Large, and it was OKish.

I always wanted to get a shorter stem and wider handle bars, but the 2014 models had Overdrive 2 headsets, which did not accept regular stems, and also I was worried to get even more tight in the cockpit.

The 2015 and 2016 models accept regular stems, and I have already bought a 60mm stem and a 750mm handlebar, but I am worried that when the bike arrives, it will be even more cramped in the cockpit?

So, I'm thinking of asking the shop to post a LARGE, rather than the medium, and was thinking that the shorter stem will fit better on the larger frame?

I am going nuts researching this, as almost ALL reviews of the Trance and Anthem online are by 5'10" reviewers, and 90% of the reviews tested a LARGE bike, yet Giant website sizing suggests a MEDIUM all the way up to 6' with a 32" inseam!!

Also on forums, most of the members lean towards a medium all the way up to 5'11"?

Would going for a Large be a big mistake?

Many tanks

See less See more
#2 ·
Same size here, had a L Anthem before, perfect. The smaller frame size is typical for XC racing mentality (save some weight) or guys in parks doing tricks (smaller bike is easier to throw around). For other uses i think you better go for L and put shorter stem if needed, much better for going down.
Plus i hate cramped feeling, cramped is OK for 1-2 hours ride, for whole day adventures its literally a pain in the hmm.. back :)
If i quote you "I felt it was a little cramped in MEDIUM size, especially the cockpit." - i think you already answered yourself. You should never feel uncomfortable on your bike (except for tricks and racing reasons maybe)!

#3 ·
I'm 5'9" and always ride a medium, but on my Anthem with a 60mm stem I keep trying to get into a more comfortable position, similar to where it would be with a 100mm stem. Problem is that I love the handling with the shorter stem, so I'd rather not change that. I think the large would be perfect with the 60mm stem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.