Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

RFX-4.0....A Photo Essay

3K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  kidwoo 
#1 ·
Northern Colorado today with 70 degree weather and perfectly clear skies!:thumbsup:

My ride started with this:

Tire Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle wheel Bicycle frame

Which then turned into this:

Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel Bicycle wheel rim

Which brought me to a lot of this:

....and this:

Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel Bicycle frame Tire Bicycle fork

Finishing up with this:

Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle fork

Wrapping up here:

Tire Motor vehicle Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle

What an amazing day on an amazing bike!

Darren

See less See more
1 5
#8 ·
I have the same fork ready for my RFX (Fox36, Fit4). When I demoed the RFX's one had the Pike one had the Fox36 RC2. The RC2 felt non compliant or like it had tons of stiction. I know that the RC2 and the Fit4 have different dampers.

What do you think of the Fox36 Fit4 for the RFX?

I think you mentioned a Fox34 in another thread. Did you abandon that plan?

Are you running the low speed compression fairly low?

#9 ·
And the shoes.

The shoes are just all wrong for that kind of bike!

And oh my god the dirt. That is NOT RFX worthy dirt.
Damn....and here I thought I had an epic day. I feel so NOT enduro. :D

Get some pictures coming down Ginny.... Then tell us how it climbed on the way up
Rode that last weekend...bike ripped!

I have the same fork ready for my RFX (Fox36, Fit4). When I demoed the RFX's one had the Pike one had the Fox36 RC2. The RC2 felt non compliant or like it had tons of stiction. I know that the RC2 and the Fit4 have different dampers.

What do you think of the Fox36 Fit4 for the RFX?

I think you mentioned a Fox34 in another thread. Did you abandon that plan?

Are you running the low speed compression fairly low?
I ride all kinds of different stuff. The FIT4 is my favorite damper once it's tuned. In all out small bump sensitivity the PIKE is the strongest, but the 36 FIT4 beats it in chassis stiffness and mid to high speed performance. For me, I'm happy to give up a little comfort at slow speeds for the control at higher speeds and those but-pucker moments!

Darren

#10 ·
Damn....and here I thought I had an epic day. I feel so NOT enduro. :D

Rode that last weekend...bike ripped!

I ride all kinds of different stuff. The FIT4 is my favorite damper once it's tuned. In all out small bump sensitivity the PIKE is the strongest, but the 36 FIT4 beats it in chassis stiffness and mid to high speed performance. For me, I'm happy to give up a little comfort at slow speeds for the control at higher speeds and those but-pucker moments!

Darren
Thanks for the updates and reports - very helpful.

#16 ·
Man, I must live on a different planet.

I just got a 36 RC2 talas and that's about the best stock damper I've ever had in a fork.

And I've been riding a pike the last two years.

#18 ·
I think it's the difference between "plush" and "composed"

Pikes are good but it's a constant battle to get them to stay composed over successive really hard, deep hits. That's where the fox kills it my mind.

#19 ·
Darren is that a 70mm stem? How tall are you?
I'm 6' running a 60mm stem.

Lory? From Horsetooth?
Wathen, Carey Springs, Sawmill.

Does it justify upgrading from the RC2 cartridge or can you obtain as good of a tune with it to make me forget how much more I like the Pike on my Czar?
Both the RC2 and FIT4 dampers are good and give us a great tuning platform. Because of the on-the-fly adjustment lever on ELEVENSIX I found that I prefer to have that same ability on the front. As I've mentioned in other posts, the PIKE is king in initial bump sensitivity but when the speeds get up and the terrain gets burlier the 36 shines. We haven't publicly announced it just yet but we're offering the 2016 FOX fork lined with our tuning kits installed and the first fork sales were to riders coming off of PIKE's. The feedback is pretty unanimous to my opinion. Again, this is with our tuning package installed.

Darren

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.