Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Truckee - Verdi Peak Ride

3K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Bike Daddy 
#1 ·
Today, my friend and I did a challenging but spectacular CX ride to Verdi Peak, just east of Truckee.

We started at the Boca Reservoir and climbed up USFS 72 and other roads all the way to Verdi Peak, which rewarded us with some stunning views of Truckee, Martis Valley, Reno and the surrounding area.

The route was often rocky, so it made for some very demanding sections both up and down. You want to hit this loop with large CX tires (40) or a mountain bike.

31 miles, 4100' of climb. This will be an annual trek for me!

Mountainous landforms Highland Mountain range Mountain Hill

Plant community Mountain Wilderness Valley Forest

Plant Mountainous landforms Plant community Highland Mountain

Bicycle frame Soil Slope Mountain bike Cycle sport

See less See more
#10 ·
It's funny, but after decades of mountain biking, I find myself drawn to these alternate rides (or at least alternate to me). I'm less interested in railing down the Best Trail on the Internet with perfectly dialed cushy 160mm of travel than seeking out experiences less familiar to me, like hitting a rocky fireroad climb on a CX bike.

Part of this is me getting older, but in a good way :)

#8 ·
Good job! The rock gardens in spots are pretty big with up to soccer ball size rocks. It is a beautiful spot with amazing views.

Did it on a Husky 510 a few years ago, not very hard on a dirtbike, but was really rocky in spots. I did hit a good sized rock and tore my side wall about a mile from the fire lookout. I was thinking the whole time this would be tough on my mt bike.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.