Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

05 Coiler Dee-L ???'s

668 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  shiggy 
#1 ·
First off, I love this bike!

I'm putting it on a little diet. What has been done to shed a few pounds on this badboy?

Stock-------------------------- 39lbs
With CrossMax XL's----- 36.5lbs

Just currious what the other hole on the bottom shock mount braket is for? Is it for a different fork angle? I'm trying to get this thing to climb a little faster.

Has anyone tried the new Fox freeride fork?

I like the Marz 66 a lot on the downs, but it sure makes the steep climbs a bit difficult.

KONA'S RULE!

#4 ·
WINspeed said:
First off, I love this bike!

I'm putting it on a little diet. What has been done to shed a few pounds on this badboy?

Stock-------------------------- 39lbs
With CrossMax XL's----- 36.5lbs
I have added weight to my Coiler DL.
I would like to build a lighter wheelset. Right now I can put in one of my XC rear wheels but I only have the one (stock) 20 mm front wheel. A set with Syncros DS28 or Alex FD28 rims and CX-Ray spokes would be nice.

Tires make a huge weight difference. I have had tires on mine with a 5+ lb weight swing.

I like the Marz 66 a lot on the downs, but it sure makes the steep climbs a bit difficult.
Has not been a issue for me. In the techy trail stuff I ride my Coiler DL like I ride my singlespeed - out of the saddle and attacking.

#5 ·
shiggy said:
I have added weight to my Coiler DL.
I would like to build a lighter wheelset. Right now I can put in one of my XC rear wheels but I only have the one (stock) 20 mm front wheel. A set with Syncros DS28 or Alex FD28 rims and CX-Ray spokes would be nice.

Tires make a huge weight difference. I have had tires on mine with a 5+ lb weight swing.

Has not been a issue for me. In the techy trail stuff I ride my Coiler DL like I ride my singlespeed - out of the saddle and attacking.
Hey Shigg, Thanks for the low down. Ive tried climbing out of the saddle and it feels like had a few too many drinks and ended up on that mech. Bull at the country bar again. LOL. It feels like it's going to boing me off there's so much bob. So whats the trick? Maybe I should try it again.

Also whats would be a good set of lightweight tire to trow on my Crossmax XL's? With or without tubes?

Thanks again. Oh ya, your Coiler is SICK!!!
peace out.

#6 ·
WINspeed said:
Hey Shigg, Thanks for the low down. Ive tried climbing out of the saddle and it feels like had a few too many drinks and ended up on that mech. Bull at the country bar again. LOL. It feels like it's going to boing me off there's so much bob. So whats the trick? Maybe I should try it again.
I'm not quite sure what I do.
I setup my bikes to have a fair bit of weight on the front end and let the fork set well into its travel. I try to keep the fork compressed when out of the saddle and still shift my butt back for traction. The fork moves, though more in a helpful way.
Hard to explain.

Also whats would be a good set of lightweight tire to throw on my Crossmax XL's? With or without tubes?

Thanks again. Oh ya, your Coiler is SICK!!!
peace out.
Depends on what kind of terrain/ride you are doing. On mine, at the moment, I have a Geax Barro Marathon 2.3 (590g) front and Schwalbe Little Albert 2.1 (519g) rear. Nice for trail rides.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.