Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Decisions, Decisions - Wheelset Help

664 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  eb1888 
#1 ·
I know this is one of many wheelset threads, but I'm hoping I can get some advice. I've got a Scalpel 29 Carbon 2 on order that should be here next month. It comes with the Mavic Crossroc wheels. I've been told by someone who already has the bike that I need to upgrade the wheels.

So my question is does anyone have any experience with these wheels, and if so, should I upgrade them? If so, what should I upgrade them to?

I'm 135 lbs and these would be used for XC training and racing. I ride mostly in TN and North GA, so climbing, mostly smooth trails, and some rocks (but nothing extreme like out west). My budget for replacing these is around $850. Based on what my LBS has said, I can get a set of AM Classic Wide Lightning for that (that's with having a Lefty hub built in). I can also get a custom wheelset built with Velocity Blunt SL rims and DT Swiss 240s hubs. What do you think?

#2 ·
I like the looks of the Wide Lightning and am waiting to see the Twentynineinches review.
They should easily work for you.
I have a couple of sets with ArchEx rims and DT ratchet rears. I'm thinking of moving one of the DT hubs to the WideL rim if I don't like the AC hub.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.