Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Cold weather night riding= popular?

1K views 17 replies 16 participants last post by  Nsteele 
#1 ·
We went up to Tokul East last night and I ran into 8 other riders, and my group had 7, which was more than I expected since the temp was in the 20s. Then I heard from a buddy of mine who was doing some trail work at the Tapeworm last night and he said a group of 10 strong came thru, along with 5 or 6 other riders, all after 7pm. Also last Wednesday night our group of 7 came across a group of 8 out at Summit Ridge/Henry's ridge, well after 8pm.

I've been night riding every Wednesday for the past 3+ years, and we rarely run into other riders so I'm surprised to see so many people out there! I've always loved the trail conditions when it is dry and cold, and it seems others do too! The availability of cheap bright lights probably is also a factor in more people riding at night.

Are more people getting out at night,because they can, or is it just a small surge of post turkey day feasting guilt?

#5 ·
depends on how cold. A few years back we tried riding on a night that was down to the teens, the bikes were not liking it, headsets were really stiff and freewheels were not freewheeling due to thick cold grease.

Like what was said above, the ground is perfect, muddy areas are rock hard.

#11 ·
Agree on both points. I went for a ride at Tolt earlier this week in the high teens/low twenties and the cold was causing some issues with the dropper post and shifters. Hydro brakes are just happy in the cold though.

That said, I *love* riding in the cold. The colder the better, for as cold as it can get around here at least. Trail conditions are super fun, you can see well, and come back with a clean bike. As for night riding, I think that's just a factor of the time of year: it's technically "night" at 5pm.

#8 ·
night riding

We went up to Tokul East last night and I ran into 8 other riders, and my group had 7, which was more than I expected since the temp was in the 20s. Then I heard from a buddy of mine who was doing some trail work at the Tapeworm last night and he said a group of 10 strong came thru, along with 5 or 6 other riders, all after 7pm. Also last Wednesday night our group of 7 came across a group of 8 out at Summit Ridge/Henry's ridge, well after 8pm.

I've been night riding every Wednesday for the past 3+ years, and we rarely run into other riders so I'm surprised to see so many people out there! I've always loved the trail conditions when it is dry and cold, and it seems others do too! The availability of cheap bright lights probably is also a factor in more people riding at night.

Are more people getting out at night,because they can, or is it just a small surge of post turkey day feasting guilt?
I think we may have been the group you saw last wednesday at Henry's Ridge. You guys were coming up the gravel between the ponds to Once Upon A Time when we first saw you? We have been riding most wednesdays for the past 6 years or more. We rarely run into anyone especially at Henry's Ridge/BD. It's a great way to sneak in another ride during the week and not be in as much of a hurry to get home to the fam when they are all asleep anyway! Happy Trails!

#13 ·
Last year every time I was out when the temp was below 25 or so, my XT rear shifter would freeze up and I was stuck in whatever gear I was in until the bike warmed back up. I re-lubed it, but it didn't help. I like cold weather riding and night riding, but below 25 is getting pretty close to the limit for me anyway.

#14 ·
We ride every Wed night no matter what the temps/weather, Eastern WA here. Last Wed it was 10 with 10-15 mph winds, dry and very cold but we managed 1hr 15 minute ride then cold beer. Post ride was all about what shoes and gloves to wear. Bikes work fine, a few guys with dropper seat posts had slow reaction on the return but other than that, fun fun fun!

#15 ·
I was at Henrys Wednesday evening, leaving before 7:30. I saw no body but noticed plenty of the glittery trail sparkles on everything. Shined my light into the creek on Beaver Tracks, I have never seen so many fish in there. The troll bridge on Derailleur looks twice as long- no thanks! I did end up with multiple layers of socks, now have to work on maintaining hand warmth. Plenty of traction and clean bike was also nice.

#16 ·
I love the cold, and frozen dirt is about as good as it gets. Mid teens to low 20's is perfect riding weather.
I've never had any cold related mech. problems in that temp range. In New England and Colorado we used to ride well below zero. Shocks get a bit stiff, but brakes and drive trains are fine in the cold, unless the get clogged with snow and ice.

In New England, mountainbikers consider any " double digit temps " nice riding weather.

#17 ·
I night ride every Friday solo no matter the temperature and agree with Mr. Lynch - better to ride in the cold vs. the rain.

Very seldom do I ever see anyone on Friday's but the times I've been able to Wednesday or Thursday nights Tokul E's parking lot has almost been full.

Feel free to pm me if anyone wants to ride Friday's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.