Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Gloworm XS are you getting one?

83K views 518 replies 81 participants last post by  Hakka 
#1 ·
I picked up a Gloworm X2 v2 Several weeks ago just in time for my last 24hr race and I was really impressed. I used it on the helmet and ran it on ether low or med for the single tracks and off for the climbs. I was able to get about 9hrs of life out of the one 4cell battery and never thought I needed more light.

On the bars I was borrowing a magicshine mj-856 which is probably got the best flood angle of any light ever but lacks a bit of throw. The mj-856 is a great bar light but there two things I think the XS would do better.

1. Remote switch: I don't understand why more manufacturers aren't adding this feature? Also hope the cable is long enough to reach my thumb.

2. Energy efficiency: with new advancement in emitter tech you get more light with less energy use so I can run a new light for twice as long with the same level of light as the old light using the same sized batteries.

Im already running dual spot lens in the X2 helmet light so I'm planning on running 3 floods in the XS.

Ive got a 12hr next weekend that runs into the night about 3-4 hrs so Im hoping Action LEDs get some in next week so I can test them out in what probably the last night race of the year.

See less See more
#2 ·
The XS has a considerable cost increase from the X2 so until I see some comparison pictures and reviews I'm gonna wait. I thought I had read it was available starting this week but I haven't seen it for sale yet.

#4 ·
Not sure how that news got out! However you are correct. The heart of the XS is driven by a component (buck boost regulator) which enables to achieve high levels of efficiency....we're talking 96% average (another reason why the cost is relatively high). Additionally it means the XS will operate using any Gloworm battery. However, we have now managed to get hold of this component in regular supply and will be shipping to our distributors early in the week.

Cheers

Bruce
Gloworm NZ

Reactions: fightnut
#5 ·
I just figured that's what the problem was, I know you guy's only use really good parts. When newer products are late coming out, that is usually the problem. That's one reason's I like your company, you tell it like it is. No bullshit !!
Do you know the weight of the lighthead ?

#11 ·
Sorry about the slow reply, busy busy trying to get these things out! Anyway the light head comes in at 99g with the helmet mount it will be 110g, with teh QR bar mount it will be 107g. Not bad for a geniune 2200 lumens.......

Also the full system on the bar with high capacity 4 cell battery is 334g ;)

Remote is 180mm from the light head and it comes standard with 2 spots and a flood in the middle.

Cheers

Bruce
Gloworm NZ

#10 ·
What lens combo does the XS come installed with?

2 flood 1 spot?

How far away can I mount the remote button from the light head when used on the handlebars?

For us single speeder and free riders running wide bars its important to get that remote button all the way over to the thumbs.

#13 ·
Regarding the current draw.......this is one specification that we would rather not divulge. Although its not diffucult to calculate based on lumen out put etc - this will not be included in specifications.

Sorry.....

Cheers

Bruce

#14 ·
Yeah you guys should really consider increasing that remote from lamp head length to around 250mm on the XS. 250 would be a tad long for a helmet but people could always just wrap a single time around the base for that and most riders will be using this on the bars anyways I believe. 180mm is just to short for riders using 700mm and wider bars to reach without moving our hands from the grip. If we have to take our hands off the grip then the remote kinda loses its purpose.

Remember wrapping a wire around the handle bars because it's a few cm to long is a much smaller inconvenience then having to cut apart you brand new light and splice in a longer wire just so you can use the button.

Thanks for keeping our suggestions in mind when making your products more awesome.

#25 ·
Yeah you guys should really consider increasing that remote from lamp head length to around 250mm on the XS. 250 would be a tad long for a helmet but people could always just wrap a single time around the base for that and most riders will be using this on the bars anyways I believe. 180mm is just to short for riders using 700mm and wider bars to reach without moving our hands from the grip. If we have to take our hands off the grip then the remote kinda loses its purpose.

Remember wrapping a wire around the handle bars because it's a few cm to long is a much smaller inconvenience then having to cut apart you brand new light and splice in a longer wire just so you can use the button.

Thanks for keeping our suggestions in mind when making your products more awesome.
I think this is the one point where there needs to be an immediate change. Remote wire needs at least another 50mm but another 75mm might be better. I've been told a change is coming but this can be a deal breaker if you use wider bars.

Jim from from ActionLED was willing to make custom changes to my X2 (v3) remote wire to accommodate my need. Not sure if he would do that for others but it might be worth looking into before buying. In the end I was able to stretch my wire just long enough to make it work but I would of rather had it a little closer to my thumb. I'm just glad I got mine to work without having to ship the lamp back.

#16 ·
Hi Pig,

We have left the beam shots up to MTBR this year as it is entirely unbiased.

Lens configuration as given above is 2 spots and one flood, however extra optics are available and will be included in the set.

It has a 2hr max life on high using our new 6800mAh high capacity 4 cell battery.

It comes with the same programming options as the new X1 and X2 - 2 predefined programmes that are customisable. One programme has two light settings the other three. Each light level is adjustable as is the special mode.

Hope this helps?

Cheers

Bruce
Gloworm NZ

#30 ·
If you consider buying any GW light with batterypack. Think twice.
My pack went like this after 30 times use.Red led did not go off at all.I contacted a month ago european distributor and they promised cover it with warranty.I still have not received replacement battery pack.
Hi Seppo
We replied to your email about this. A replacement was posted to Finland in October but we didn't know until you contacted us this week that you had not received it. Royal Mail are trying to locate the item and another will be sent if that one is not found.
Cheers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.