Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Wheelset indecision

788 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Relayden 
#1 ·
I currently have an aluminum Haven wheelset on my HD. They have been good, a few rear NDS spokes broken, no hub issues as I locktited the axle nut when new. Now I have the chance to change the rims to carbon ones for around $600. But I also can get a new wheelset of E13 TRS rims, which are wider, Chris King hubs and CX ray spokes for around $200 more. And I would end with two sets, havens and the CK/E13.

So do I go for the lighter Carbon set or go for the proven hubset and a bit heavier build?

#3 ·
I have the carbon havens on my HD an love them. I assume you ment swap them for carbon havens. I would only trust Haven or Enve Am for heavy riding. The only reported issues with the havens is the hub loosening (which the newest hubs supposedly don't have a problem with).

I recently built a pair of light bicycle 27.5 carbon rims with CK hubs to swap out for my 26 inch havens. I did not really notice the difference in engagement.(they chipped and am back on my havens) Also ck cannot be upgraded to xx1 while Easton can. CK while built like a tank are heavier and do not spin as easily. Just my 2c

#4 ·
Yes, swap the haven alu rims for the carbons. Do you guys feel like the bike is easier to be thrown off of line when hitting chunk with the lighter rims?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.