Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Minimal Bob XC FS for Clyde?

973 views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  JACKL 
#1 ·
6'3", 225 lbs, 34 inseam, current is '03 SP SJ FSR Pro, ride with rear locked out most of the time.

Been parking lot testing several bikes for the Toronto and SE Ontario trails in both 650b and 29 flavours. Haven't been on many XL frams as we're in between right now but I've been on the following FS bikes:

'14 SC Solo 650b
'13 Giant Trance 29

Rode both of them in the stiffest rear setting and I couldn't believe how much bob (plush) these things had. Giving up that much energy on climbs will suck the life out of me.

A good number of the guys at the shop have said 29 hardtail is the way to go for SE Ontario but I'm looking for rear to take the sting out of going fast over roots, rocks, and small air.

Can larger guys get this out of a FS ride?

#4 ·
I'll check out the GT. Epic has the 'brain' I assume which seems like a good solution if it works all the time.

Anthem/Maestro accomplish same sort of setup? Stiff climb, suck up the bumps at speed?

#11 ·
I'll check out the GT. Epic has the 'brain' I assume which seems like a good solution if it works all the time.

Anthem/Maestro accomplish same sort of setup? Stiff climb, suck up the bumps at speed?
Definitely demo the I-drive. I personally find it quite amazing that even with a loose rear shock, I can stand and hammer it on the street and it just flat goes with no noticeable bob or lost energy. I had to pass on the Stumpjumper because of the pedal bob. I don't want to flip a shock lever on the trail, I don't want to maintain a brain, and I still want my rear suspension to work while pedaling up a hill.

Anything that you demo, take note of how much compression damping the rear shock has and how plush it rides. Increased compression damping will make a bike pedal better, but it of course makes the bike less plush on the trail.

#5 ·
Not quite...from my simple understanding of it, they use "anti-squat", similar to DW Link designs to sit you a little down in the travel and use that to counter any pedaling forces that would usually cause pedal bob. It's a short link design that Giant mimic'd...if you google "DW Link" there will probably be info overload...they work pretty well too...if you get a test on the GT, I would be interested in your opinion as we don't have a dealer around here. Heard that it's a pretty good set up

#6 · (Edited)
Got a chance to ride Anthem 27.5 1 in a large. Although being cramped I was impressed with the suspension. Nothing like the Solo.

Given the Anthem is a XC setup with only 100mm of travel, I'm assuming I can still take small drops and jumps without issue?

#9 ·
Then you'll get bob no matter what you ride. Given the energy you expend standing and mashing you are not wasting that much through the rear suspension. A short travel FS tends to work best for the racers who are sitting down as much as possible as it enables them to remain sitting whilst pedalling, so making them faster over the ground. I ride a Turner Sultan and the DW rear seems to cope well and not bob too much.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.