Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

No Downieville Classic

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Bigfoot 
#1 ·
I am guessing this is old news, but it is new to me. No Downieville XC race this year. Unfortunately, I don't know of any other race in NorCal that compares. It is just so much better than the Sea Otter et al.

Seems like "backcountry" type courses are becomming a thing of the past (in fact XC races in general). I was really looking forward to the race this year.

Does anyone have any alternative races to suggest? Maybe I'm just out of the loop.

#2 ·
That's not the only one...

Some of my friends up in Redding who were largely responsible for the Lemurian Shasta Classic for the last several years decided to not hold it this year (usually first week of May). It's a lot of work for even three or four people to organize (let alone all the volunteers, particularly on race day), and in their case for no profit other than the satisfaction of keeping a classic XC race going. It was a great race, hope it comes back.

I think the Humbug's revival in Yreka is still alive, as well as some races in southern Oregon and some others in far NorCal (Weaverville's race maybe?). There's a new Sea Otter style race at Infineon Raceway in Sonoma this year (think Sea Otter but several years back?); if you like big flashy events I guess Sea Otter is okay, but I'll miss the more local, low-key style races, they were just fun gatherings. All the ones in the SF Bay Area are gone am pretty sure. I havent checked the race listings in some of the rags on the other hand...

Last I looked Greg's site (Yuba/Downieville) said something about a 2005 Trans Sierra Stage Race (a la the Trans Alps or Trans Rockies races?); that could be interesting.

#3 ·
Saw That

When I saw no Downieville, I check for the Lemurian race next. Seems like XC racing is dying. Oh well, I guess I will try to make it to some of the Downieville "gatherings" if those happen.

Bikinfoolferlife said:
Some of my friends up in Redding who were largely responsible for the Lemurian Shasta Classic for the last several years decided to not hold it this year (usually first week of May). It's a lot of work for even three or four people to organize (let alone all the volunteers, particularly on race day), and in their case for no profit other than the satisfaction of keeping a classic XC race going. It was a great race, hope it comes back.

I think the Humbug's revival in Yreka is still alive, as well as some races in southern Oregon and some others in far NorCal (Weaverville's race maybe?). There's a new Sea Otter style race at Infineon Raceway in Sonoma this year (think Sea Otter but several years back?); if you like big flashy events I guess Sea Otter is okay, but I'll miss the more local, low-key style races, they were just fun gatherings. All the ones in the SF Bay Area are gone am pretty sure. I havent checked the race listings in some of the rags on the other hand...

Last I looked Greg's site (Yuba/Downieville) said something about a 2005 Trans Sierra Stage Race (a la the Trans Alps or Trans Rockies races?); that could be interesting.

#4 ·
Downieville Stage Race

Greg's working on a stage race from Reno to Downieville. It won't be the same as the classic, but I'm sure it will be cool. And think about the new trails that will be opened up. In the long run, this is going to be a great thing for riding in the Northern Sierra. Plus, I don't think anyone appreciates or understands how much work and how little appreciation Greg gets for the Classic. He's building a house and having a kid and he feels like taking a break. Good for him.

And the trails will still be there. Does it have to be a race to have fun? Just go ride!

#5 ·
I just saw an interesting article

My friend Ron passed on this afternoon an email with a copy of the news story from The Messenger (local Downieville paper, Feb 19 issue) about Greg's announcement and the town council meeting thereafter...anyone wants a copy drop me an email.

#6 ·
The Downieville Race may still be alive

I here from inside source that Downiville Outfitters maybe trying to put on the race this year. I here they are talking to the forrest service to get a permit. I'm really upset about the shasta race, I love that race :mad:

#7 ·
INVITE: Bigfoot Classics and Lagrange Fall Classic

Tis sad. :( I was looking forward to going to the Lemurian...it's rare that I get to race myself.

I want to extend an invitation to all to come to some of our events, they have that same kind of small, outback flavor. We start the season with the 12 Hours of Weaverville, June 19, 8am-8pm on a 14-mile segment of flume trails used for the famed Lagrange course.(See photo below)

Next is Bigfoot Classic #1, July 16, 17 & 18 off of Highway 299 between Arcata & Willowcreek. Free hillclimb on Friday, XC on Saturday (fun course!), Short-track XC on Sunday morning (1-mile singletrack loop) and DH on Sunday on a great course that has plenty of challenges for experts, but with plenty of safe & sane outs for everyone else. We end the day on Sunday with a free mass-start downhill...it's wild!

August 28 is the 12 Hours of Humboldt in the Arcata Community Forest on an 8-mile (1600' of climbing) course that Tinker Juarez called "One of the best I've ridden."

Bigfoot Classic #2 is Sept. 17, 18, 19 in the Arcata Community Forest using a variation of the 12 Hours of Humboldt Course, with the downhill on our private DH course just 9 miles out of town.

We end the season October 16 & 17 with the Lagrange Fall Classic in Weaverville. The XC course is mostly on the flume trails (built during the 1880's gold rush) of the Weaverville Basin Trail System (see photo below). The DH is on a lonnnnng course with expert times of around 9 minutes. We use the local high school as a main venue, perfect place for the BBQ and they open up the showers so racers can clean up before heading home. Nice!

Thennnnnn, we start the Redwood Cyclocross Series. Race #1 is Oct. 30 in Arcata. We'll do 3 more 'crosses before Xmas.
Whew!

www.teambigfoot.net

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.