Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Flow EX or Mavic 721

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  CarolinaPanthers 
#1 ·
I guess this goes along with the Sektor thread I started but I'm looking for new wheels for my On One 456 Evo2, and I'm looking at either Hope Pro II hubs laced to Flow EXs or 721s. I'm also toying with the idea of sourcing everything lacing up WTB i25s to Hopes but the Hope Hoops route is more economical and easy; I won't have much time to work since I'm going back to school this weekend and I want to more time pedaling than tinkering. I suppose I could give building a shot when its to ugly out to ride over winter, but prebuilt is still less expensive.

I am a large guy at 200 and I'm looking 2.4 Chunky Monkey tires (Maxxis casing if it matters), and go tubeless if possible. I like the the 25.5mm id of the Flows plus they sound like they'll help with my tubeless goals. Unfortunately they are out of stock for a while. The 721s seem to get some love from downhillers, not that that's my style of riding but I am pretty hard on stuff due to very little technique and being a large guy, so that's a plus. I'm not thrilled with the 21mm id, plus they don't seem to play well with tubeless. I was planning on Stans rim strip since that seems to be designed for the particular rim, but that still makes me a little nervous. I mean tubes are an option but I've been looking to go tubeless for a little while.

So, do you wheel guys more educated than I have some input? Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
I've done a lot of research on new rims. I currently have mavic 819s and run them tubeless. They are to narrow for my current tires. I spoke to WTB directly and they gave me some great info on their rims. Their rims are set to mavic standards as far as UST goes. I had a set of WTB rims a few years ago on a DH bike and liked them. Very stiff and gave me no issues.

I can't comment on Stans but just reading about the new bead is making me hesitant. Some or a lot of guys love them. I like the look of the new i25 for a front and the i23 for the back. Laced to Hope hubs and quality butted spokes and you're set.

#3 ·
Yeah, I really like what I'm hearing about WTB's offerings. I just like the idea of a relatively plug and play prebuilt option. what I was thinking would be buying a prebuilt set and then in time steal the hubs and build up a set of i25s as time and funds allow. Just looking for the easiest option so I can spend more time riding and less time and money. Picture your stereotypical broke college student with a hectic semester. Short on time and money haha.

21mm should provide decent width for 2.4 inches of rubber, no? Seriously contemplating the 721s since they are more readily available. Just wary about trying to go tubeless with them

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.