Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Benefit of clownshoe on front of Pugsley?

3K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  wadester 
#1 ·
Have a stock Pugsley with Large Marge wheels. I know the Pugsley fork cant accomodate a clownshoe, but I am considering a Carver carbon fork so that a clownshoe can go on the front.
curious if anyone else has done similar, and what can be expected as a added traction/handling?
I would plan to leave the stock rim in back, but add the wider clownshoe and wider tire in front.
any feedback is appreciated as this is not a cheap upgrade, so would like to know if it will be worth it. The good thing is, when I eventually get a new bike, I can keep the clownshoe.
Also, I ride all terrain including mud, beach and snow. Thanks

#2 · (Edited)
Also, I ride all terrain including mud, beach and snow. Thanks
I've ridden all that terrain with a Pugsley running 4" tires on 65mm rims. The weak link on my bike is how much weight my rear tire/rim can support. If my rear end can float me over a soft section than I know the front wheel will be fine.

Currently I've got the Pugsley setup with 82mm rims and I'm going to put 4.8" BFLs on it.

The rear wheel will have to carry the most weight and float you over soft conditions so if that's what you are after consider an upgrade on the rear as well. Having a 5" tire on 100mm rims won't provide increased floatation if you stick with the stock rear wheel/tire.

#3 ·
Okay, thanks. This is good information. The logic I was using was similar to my regular mountain bike experience. I know in the past, I have added a 2.3 tire in the front, in place of a skinnier tire, and it drastically increased feel and stability on trails.

#7 ·
The logic I was using was similar to my regular mountain bike experience.
Funny thing though... after fat bike experiences you learn to love a fat rear tire for the climbing traction too. So now when I was looking for tires for my 29er, instead of the usual wider in front, narrower in rear - I just went wide/wide. :thumbsup:

We all have a rubber addiction problem :p

#4 ·
I planned on doing something similar. Carver fork, and since I need a symmetrical wheel going with a RD and BFL. I've run BFL on the 65, and it's fun. The extra squish and traction is noticable, but I want to flatten it out a bit more, so RD it is. Clown Shoe would be fun, sometimes, but part of the reason of the Carver is weight. Darryl is a good compromise. A folding BFL is lighter than my stock wire bead Larry. The combo still comes out 500 or so grams lighter than stock with a newer style 135mm front hub.

#6 ·
I agree with the replies so far. If you can afford it, sell your Marge's and get a Rolling Darryl (or the like) and a Clown Shoe (or the like) and 4.8" up front. I run Clown Shoe/Bud front (Moony fork) and RD/Floater rear on my Pugs and it gets me through about anything.

#9 ·
I started with a Fatback - 100mm rims, 3.8 Larrys. Moving to a BFL on the front did make a difference. But comparing 3.8R4.8F to a Moonlander with 100/4.8 on both? More float on the rear makes more difference. Kinda like 1/3 front, 2/3 rear. What I do find about "fatterfront" is that it will iron out your path and make things a bit easier for the back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.