Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Hobgoblin Knockin'

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Mitch1171 
#1 ·
Help! My two week old hobgoblin has a knock in it somewhere. The bike was professionally assembled. I have personally gone through everything I can think of to torque or tighten except bottom bracket. I really can't isolate the noise. It sounds like it is lower on the bike. Any others out there with same problem and maybe a solution?

I mentioned everything but bottom bracket because I am not sure how to go about checking that for problems.

Thanks for any help/advice offered.

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk HD

G
#2 ·
See if your crank is loose by holding the crank arm and trying to move it side to side...a loose crank can cause a knock as well as a bad BB...the only way to really check the BB is to remove it and see whats going on with it..but isolating a knock can be a head ache because so many things can cause a annoying sounds like that...on my FS Bike I had a small knocking sound that drove me crazy and finally isolated it down to a pivot bolt...so I removed them all and greased them up good and reassembled and problem solved...also check your suspension to make sure it is set up right and that you are not bottoming out...not sure if you have it any serious stuff with that would cause it...but that can be a issue some times as well

Hard to say really as the bike is new and there are really a lot of things that can cause little squeaks and knocks on bikes sometimes and it can be a pain trying to isolate them..maybe check your hubs for play as well...just a few thoughts.

#5 ·
I had a weird clicking sound from the BB area on the Goblin. I cleaned, lubed, and tightened everything I could think of. I even replaced the BB, pedals, and it was still there :madman:!

Well it ended up being that the chainrings were loose. When you tighten them be sure to use allen wrenches on both side if not it will just spin without tightening. Goodluck!

#6 ·
Yep tighten everything! Chainrings, pedals stem but don't over torque them. My noise ended up being the seat post around the clamp area. Unfortunately its hard to find. One of the noises I found was the cable tapping the inside of my frame as it has the internal routing which yours does. It sounds like a BB noise but its not! Ive had mine taken apart by my shop and they said the bike is perfect that its cable slap or seat post clamp. Good luck. If you need more assistance send me a private message and ill get you my phone number.

Oh the way I figured out it was my seat post was one day in my garage I was reaching over my bike and rested my chest on the bike and put weight on it and it made that plastic snap noise! Does that description sound about right? Let me know! My friend Niner RDO makes the same noise and his is also internal cable routing. Hope this helps

#7 ·
Also, check your brake calipers... they might not knock - but I've caught them coming loose on both my wife's and my own Hobgoblin after about the first 50 miles... (this is not isolated to Airborne models, I've experienced this with almost all my factory builds in the past...)

#8 ·
Thanks to all for your advice. I have tried everything suggested. The funny thing is, like Mitch, I leaned on mine today and there it was...the infamous knock. So I tightened the seat clamp but still the knock. Not sure where to go from here...just live with it I guess.

Thanks for the suggestion to tighten the brake calipers, they were a little loose.

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk HD

#10 ·
My hobgoblin had a creaking/popping sound whenever I applied a heavy load when pedaling. I checked all the easy things first, but nothing would fix the noise. I ended up taking all the linkage apart and found that none of the pivot pins had any grease at all. I thoroughly greased everything and reassembled. This solved the problem for about six rides, but it gradually came back. I've repeated the procedure and everything is fine again. Hopefully this doesn't turn into something I have to do monthly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.