Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Training Trail Dog

1K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  metalaficionado 
#1 ·
I'm looking for a place to be able to work with my dog off-leash.
I really don't want to run up north all the time.
I'm looking for something in the Phoenix area and easy trails.
I'm in Ahwatukee.

#2 ·
buddy of mine did that on javelina. parking lot is off of 46th and baseline but it is a require that he be leashed. we went about half a mile out before he went off leash and stayed with us not bothering hikers or getting in the way of other rider except for me. only did it once since your not supposed to have them off leash in that area just he brought his dog since we headed to the trail after work. i've seen alot of people with there dog off leash starting at the entrance behind las lomas if your familiar with that area and headed slightly off DC not sure about leash around there since every entrance i take around there doesn't have a post. but at the water tower entrance and las lomas entrance i see alot of dogs off leash. war paint normally people have there dog on leash but seen a few with out.

#6 ·
I'd head to the library and get a couple of books on how to train a dog to hunt. You'll find a lot of overlap, IMO. Hand signals and verbal and non-verbal commands, especially.

Rattlesnake training is a good idea. If I was gonna let a dog run free, I'd train it to wear a shock collar in case it bolts, but I don't know if it'd get confused if it's been snake trained.

#9 ·
Cute pup. Careful with how far/hard you run him. Puppies are more prone to heat exhaustion and they can injure themselves easily while growing. Like others have said/will say- make sure he has a bombproof heel if you want to run him off leash, especially in a crowded place like Phoenix.

#10 ·
Fortunately he is no longe a pup. He is full grown. I am very careful with running him too. Even when we hike I/we make sure he's rested and hydrated.
So far he's done great and I will be taking him out again both days this weekend.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.