Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

large tires that are cheap 29 x 3 - 29 x 4 - 29 x 5 ? any in $ 15 - 20 range ?

8K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  Bryan1113 
#1 ·
i want some throw away tires

for this razor sharp rock trail i have been riding

#15 ·
click on your own link you posted and the kingpin tire is the first one pictured at the top of the page for 27.96. you can see the tread a little better in that pic also.
i actually picked a set of these up in the 26" size just for spares in case i needed a tire and didn't have a but load of cash to buy new ones.i got them off the clearance rack for 5.00 each. i have not used them but just keep them around if i need em.
oh and they are 29x2.25

#18 ·
if you are serious about getting cheap tires go check the bells out at your local wally world and see what the actuall shelf price is.
i have seen them listed for different prices, over time i have seen them listed for 14.99/19.99/and 29.99 and yes i bought a pair of them for 10.00 on a walmart clearance isle they usually have 2-3 isle's set up with clearance stuff. good luck

#20 ·
Cheap tires remind me of cheap paint.

Nobody wants to paint their house, but it is just as much of a chore using high quality vs low quality paint.

Same with tires.

Tires take a while to wear out. Why go to the trouble of mounting a cheap tire and being unhappy with the way it rides for all the time it takes to wear the damn thing out??

SPP

#21 ·
i don't mind if tires says 700c

low profile knob - tread or skatepark style tread pattern is fine too

it seems some of the heaviest beefiest tires cost the least

with the lightest thinnest race tires costing the most

my tires are still new ,just the sidewalls cut easy ,where tire seems to be most fragile.

are where i am getting the biggest cuts (slices is more like it)causing flats

i put 3 patches in back tire yesterday

took a little bit for stans to stop coming out one of the cuts

even with a big patch

i actually like a more worn tire cause it accelerates easier
and maybe weighs less
than when they are brand new- first day on it, and have huge knobs

can i run a non tubeless tire as tubeless ?
cause i have 2 old tires that i never used
came on the bike but i switched to a tubeless wheel set
and so i have these new old tires, one is small so won't use
but one is a 2.25 i think
maybe just wear a few tires around my neck like the old tour de france guys

ha

#22 ·
i don't mind if tires says 700c

low profile knob - tread or skatepark style tread pattern is fine too

it seems some of the heaviest beefiest tires cost the least

with the lightest thinnest race tires costing the most

my tires are still new ,just the sidewalls cut easy ,where tire seems to be most fragile.

are where i am getting the biggest cuts (slices is more like it)causing flats

i put 3 patches in back tire yesterday

took a little bit for stans to stop coming out one of the cuts

even with a big patch

i actually like a more worn tire cause it accelerates easier
and maybe weighs less
than when they are brand new- first day on it, and have huge knobs

can i run a non tubeless tire as tubeless ?
cause i have 2 old tires that i never used
came on the bike but i switched to a tubeless wheel set
and so i have these new old tires, one is small so won't use
but one is a 2.25 i think
maybe just wear a few tires around my neck like the old tour de france guys

ha
It's easy to run old "non-tubeless ready" tires as tubeless on NoTubes rims. Other rims may be hit or miss, but there are always the ghetto tubeless methods if you are having difficulties getting them to air up (I prefer the split-tube, ghetto method if it's a delicate conversion).

#23 ·
I'm totally serious about giving away the tires. I'm not trying to be a troll. I like the TNT Gato better on the front of my FS in the winter and the 29-3 in the summer. I like the 2.35 Nobby Nic snakeskin better on the front of my SS. The FR3 wil not fit in the rear of either bike. They are over kill for most of the terrain in the midwest, so none of the locals will use them. I weigh 250lb and can be pretty hard on tires and there are some rocky areas. If someone who iives in the Kentuckiana area who may have a use for these tires, they can come buy and take a look - just PM me. They are tough tires, a iittle over 900gm, have good traction and roll well for knobby tires.

#24 ·
You pay for what you get! Spend the money and invest with a good tire.....go cheap and you will end up paying more in the long run....! I run Maxxis Ardents on my bike and ride desert trails 3 days a week with lots and lots of rocks. Good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.