Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

2x10 Shifter/FD issue

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  tigris99 
#1 ·
OK, Trek marlin 29er.

Crankset:

Deore m590 22/32/bash currently

FD:

SLX 2x10, "New" Pull off (guessing '12 version)

Heres the problem:

Did the conversion for 2x10, shift system all SLX. RD and FD are '12 I think (RD is previous style before latest came out).

Shifters are '13 SLX 2/3x10. Selector on Right/front for 2 or 3x.

Cant use 2x... shifter locks out 1st to use 2-3. FD has standard 1-2 travel. I had an Sram 2x10 fd installed previously and had to lock out 1st (was running 2x8 on x4 system) and had proper travel on sram fd. Switched to SLX FD and had to change over to 1-2 and lock out 3rd, worked perfect. Again, that was on 2x8 with X4 3x8 shifters.

Is there something Im missing, is there a change in the SLX FD for the '13 shifters or are the shifters set towards a 2x10 crankset that the chainring spacing is equal to 2-3 instead of 1-2?

Shifting is fine, just have shifter in 3x mode and locked out 3rd with limit screws.

Should I put my X9 2x10 FD back on and run that, is it better than my SLX? Or should I just not worry about it and ride it? Works fine now(spent a good 30 mins trying to figure out WTF was going on and getting it set up once I did), just bummed I paid the extra for the new 2/3x10 shifters when I could have saved $30 and got just SLX 3x10s and been done.

See less See more
#2 ·
From what I understand, you are correct in what you wrote above, since you have a 3X specific crank(even though you have a bash), you need the shifters and FDR to match. If you upgrade to a 2X specific crank, you can then swap out for the new unused SLX FDR and change the mode. Also, from what I have experienced, you are better off using the 9-speed FDR with the 9-speed cranks (I believe that's what you have from above by 22/32, 10-speed M590 is 24/32/... by default). The pull on the shifters for the FDR has not changed, just the addition of the mode switch to lock out the granny on the crank.

#3 ·
Ya it is the 9 speed crankset cause I wasn't planning on 2x10 till i read and researched to find 10s is just as good on reliabilty as 9s. Being as I like this crankset for the time being ill just ride it as is since all works great (fd is 2x10) and i have full range rear in either front ring.

Thnx for the info was just afraid I screwed something up but if this is the way it is, now I know for next time. Thnx.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.