Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Upgrading a Manitou Black Elite - suggestions

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Aresab 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I'm thinking about upgrading my Manitou Black fork. I've been riding it pretty hard for the past 3 years; mainly trails, stairs (lots of stairs), wooded mountains (think lake district England) etc.

It's been through a lot, I'm running it with transmission fluid right now and I replaced the original o-rings in the lockout with o-rings from a presta valve extender. Lockout cable is actually an old derailleur cable.

So yeah, upgrade long overdue. So here's what I'm looking for:

100mm
Remote lockout (must be good design, I'm sick of this Manitou BS)
9mm QR
Around 3.5 lbs
1 1/8 steerer tube
Disc Only
Easy to find parts for and service (I serviced my Manitou myself cause none of the shops I went to wanted to touch it)
Preferably under $300, I don't mind buying used.

I eagerly await recommendations. =)

See less See more
#2 ·
Manitou Minute Expert... great fork for they money, the damper is second to none. The minute pro is a little lighter if you have to have that, i think the expert is around 4.1 lbs and the pro is 3.6 lbs. the prices on used Rock Shox and Fox forx are crazy high for what you get IMO

#4 ·
Hmmm, the rest of the bike is not as dingy as how the fork sounds.

It's an older rockhopper alu frame with a mix of XT/Saint parts, fulcrum red metal 3 wheelset. The fork is pretty much the part I've kept the longest without upgrading. So I hardly thinking a Suntour (read: Walmart) fork will cut it.

I'm gonna scout fleabay for a Manitou Minute Pro I think. I've read some good things about the post 2010 models. I wonder how they compare to Rebas?

Here's the bike btw, last post in that thread.
http://forums.mtbr.com/bike-frame-discussion/lets-see-your-raw-aluminium-572818-14.html

#6 ·
If you look for used, the Minute 08 & 09 (named Elite & Super back then) can also be upgraded to the Absolute + damper, then they are effectively the same fork as the 10 - 12 pro models. I have an 08, a 10 and 11 (or 12) I believe, great forks the Pro line. I'm sure the Drake/Expert are as well. The damper is very tunable and pretty awesome at repeated hits with shims for both compression and rebound.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.