Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

building a SS

1K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  banditfl 
#1 ·
Ive came across a hardtail giant frame. i want to build a single speed for the mountains, anyone got a good recommendation for gear ration to ride single track/mountains

#2 ·
It depends on you and the trails.
The tooth count also depends on what wheel size you have.
On my 26" wheeled "trail SS", 32/18, 34/19 and 34/18 are pretty good for ME on MY local trails.

#4 ·
It's all variable depending on your fitness and the terrain, but on a 29er I don't think 32x20 is ever a bad place to start. I'm running 34x20 at the moment on roller-coaster terrain without much sustained climbing. If I had long uphills to contend with my (seasonally-adjusted lack of) fitness would probably force me to gear down.

#6 ·
Start with something comfortable and easy(er) like 32x20. One of the big things about SS'ing for me is pedal what you got and focus on the trail. Soon enough you will find your magic gear and find SS zen. Personally I am a "masher" and not a "spinner" which means I would rather push a taller gear.

#8 ·
I to plan to build a SS this coming winter. My gearing will be 34/20 to start. I have a handful of cogs from converting my current bike last year. 20, 18, 16, and a 14 tooh. All cheap, but will work till I find a couple perfect sizes to actually invest in good quality.

I find 32/18 about perfect for one of the trails and 32/16 for the other flatter trail. 32/14 isn't out of the question come fall. This is why I think I'll build my dedicated SS rig with a 34 tooth cog, so I have a little more speed on the flats, and can push an even higher ratio once my fitness catches up with my ambition.

#10 ·
If you have a geared bike, you can simulate SS by remembering not to shift. That can get you in the ballpark.
It is not the same as "real SS", but good for guesstimating a starting point.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.