Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Racing wheel set set-up

2K views 16 replies 15 participants last post by  redmr2_man 
#1 ·
I'm looking to upgrade my wheels for xc racing. I have a 2012 c-dale carbon flash 3 29er. The stock wheels, sun ringle equalizer 25s, seem like good all around wheels, but I'm going for a lighter wheel set for racing. Budget is around $900-$1100. I'm strongly leaning towards stans crest rims and I already have an xtr 10 speed cassette.
The two questions I have are about the rear hub and general info about using racing wheels.
What advice would you guys have for a rear hub? I'm thinking about the stans 3.30ti but still not sure.
My other question is about how you guys run your racing wheels. How often do you change them out with your standard wheels and how much fine tuning needs to be done each time you change them? Is it possible to have them match up perfectly without any adjustments to brakes and rear derailleur?
Thanks in advance for your input.

#2 ·
The american classic race 29's are perfect for your budget! Wider, lighter, and maybe more durable than crests.

Its hard to get wheels to match up perfectly unless you have the same hubs in my experience.

#6 ·
I have a set of stan's archs on stans hubs, run them year round, light enough for racing, strong enough for regular riding. I used to switch wheels back when I had two sets but found that I just left my racing wheels on all the time unless I wanted a beefier tire setup and that's when I'd swap to my other wheels. (Those were bonty RXL and RL's 26in.)

#7 ·
Crests laced to DT or King hubs with Super Comp spokes would be a great build and be much less than your max budget. I'm not a fan of American Classic rear hubs, but others are. I'd be happier with a Stan's hub.

You could also get some specialized roval carbon wheels for about that price (new) or a slightly used set of the Roval SL carbon wheels (most used sets seem to be going for ~$1000.

How much do you weigh? The carbon wheels are on another stiffness level compared to a Stan's or AC alloy rim. We currently have a mix of Stan's, Specialized Roval SL's, and Enve wheels. If you have the budget for the nice stuff.... it's worth it.

#11 ·
I have a set of Crests (standard build with ZTR hubs) as my lightweight wheels, and I have another wheelset that is DT350 hubs laced to Mavic TN719 rims. I can swap them back and forth with no brake adjustment or derailleur adjustment at all.

Another option not yet mentioned is the cheap Chinese carbon wheels. They appear to be a good deal for the money, and most people have been happy with them, but you have to decide if you want to take the risk of ordering a set of wheels from China.

#12 ·
If you are going to drop that kinda money, get a good rear hub that will last you. I recommend the DT 240, because it can be modified to work with thru-axles, quick-release, xx1's 11 speed special cassette, etc... and can go bike to bike with you down the road.
The front hub for a lefty is fine with the C-dale brand.
Stan's makes great rims, but for $160 a rim you can get a carbon rim from light-bicycle.com

#13 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I have a lot to consider.
Weight wise I'm about 170 lbs and I do have the lefty. Love the lefty but it is a pain when trying to source parts.
I did order my tires and brake discs. Racing Ralph evos 2.1. Had the 2.25 RRs on my bike originally and loved them, although they wore out quickly. Avid xx hsx rotors front and rear.

#15 ·
I've seen several new Mavic Crossmax SLR wheelsets for the lefty on ebay for under $1000. If your budget is around that, why bother with any of the others?

Do some research on them,though I assume you probably already know. I think they're around 1440 grams. No rim strip required, none of that crap. Just put your tire on there, put some stans in and go. I've had 2 pairs of crossmax sl's for years now and from what i hear the newer sets have adapters for all the different drop-outs and rear hub widths, etc.

#16 ·
I would go with a used carbon set if you can afford it. Carbon wheels have changed mountain biking for the better. Stiffer, stronger, lighter, and last longer than al.

You can race and train on the same set too which is the main perk.

I ride the Roval Control SL, and I like them because they are wide and light. But you need a lefty front hub so that counts them out...

I have seen a few sets of the Light Bicycle rimmed carbon wheels and they look really nice for the price. Quality seems on par with my specializeds. If I had to make my purchase again, I would have spend half as much on the LB built wheels.

I would avoid Crests. They are so flexy you will probably give up cycling entirely.

#17 ·
i would also go carbon if you can make it happen. You don't go carbon wheels for the weight loss, you do it for the stiffness.

With that said, the AC race wheels are wider and alot stiffer than a crest. I'm 200lbs and can fold a crest by looking at it wrong. The american classics are very noticeably stiffer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.