Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

456 Evo - 150mm fork, what size stem? 50mm or 70mm?

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  The Factory 
#1 ·
hi, I started putting together my 456Evo size 18". I am 182cm (cca 6"0) and will run a 150mm sektor. I want this bike to be an AM/Trail bike good for both uphill and downhill and everything in between. I want to run cca 710mm to 740mm handlebars. what would be better, a 50mm stem or a 70mm stem?
I have heard that 50mm will be horrible for climbing while I have read that the 456Evo is suited to stems from 40-60mm. I am looking at the PRO FRS stem and it only comes in 50 or 70mm. I forgot to order the on one CNC 60mm stem so am opting from local choices. The PRO stuff seems by far the best for the price.

any suggestions on stem sizing? I am coming from a hardcore XC bike (zaskar expert) with 100 mm stem, would the 70 be better or should i just go straight to 50 and it wont sacrifice the climbing?
thanks.

#4 ·
I'm 5'9" and have tried 50, 60 and 70mm stems on a 16.5" frame with 720mm handlebars and a Sektor fork. I couldn't really tell much of a difference between the 50 and 60mm stems, but I definitely like the 50mm stem better than the 70mm stem on the downhill, and didn't feel too cramped on the uphill, though the 70mm felt better climbing. It may just come down to which you prioritize -- uphill or downhill.

As G-Ryder suggested, if you can try both, that'd be best, especially given your XC background, I wouldn't suggest jumping to the 50mm stem. There are some cheap stems out there to try out (e.g., Hussefelt in 60mm: Truvativ Hussefelt Stem 2012 | TruVativ | Brand | www.PricePoint.com).

FWIW, I got the Syntace Megaforce 2 stem for about $65 off ebay shipped (Syntace Megaforce 2 Stem 50mm 96d Black | eBay). It comes in 50, 60, 70, etc.

#5 ·
cool, that is what I am thinking of doing, just grabbing and borrowing cheap stems in all three lenghts and then saving up for a nice stem once I decide. Climbing is sort of important as well because I really want a bike that is good for epic all day rides on the weekends. Thanks for the advice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.