Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

EMD Niner fit

1K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  s6xs9x 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello all, just wondering if anyone can offer some insight into the proper fit of my EMD niner. I just finished building an EMD Niner and I've had it out a couple of times so far. I'm noticing that I'm stretched out pretty far and I'm getting numbness in my hands. I'm 5'11 with a 32" inseam. My frame size is large. My bars are 680mm wide with a 90mm stem with 10 degree rise. Anyone with approximately the same body size and frame using a 70 or 80mm stem? I'm thinking that may be the solution but wanted to get some input in regards to handling of the front end with a shorter stem.

#2 ·
It would pay to tell us what frame size you went with.

Hello all, just wondering if anyone can offer some insight into the proper fit of my EMD niner. I just finished building an EMD Niner and I've had it out a couple of times so far. I'm noticing that I'm stretched out pretty far and I'm getting numbness in my hands. I'm 5'11 with a 32" inseam. My bars are 680mm wide with a 90mm stem with 10 degree rise. Anyone with approximately the same body size and frame using a 70 or 80mm stem? I'm thinking that may be the solution but wanted to get some input in regards to handling of the front end with a shorter stem.

#9 ·
You may well like your fit, But it doesn't sound like the op does.

The Niner site says Med 5'8 to 6 ft & for Lge 5'11 to 6'3 so at 5'11 he is on the short side of normal for that bike.

#11 ·
To Muzzanic: I just measured from center of BB to top of seat and it's around 30.5 inches. What is the optimal ratio relation to my inseam? I noticed today on a short ride that the grips hit in the fleshy part of my palm, it's almost like all of my weight is being supported by my palms.I'm going to try to the stem first and I'm hoping that works. Another thing I noticed is that I have no lower back pain at all, which is rare for me on a new bike.I'm hoping that this means I have at least part of my fit correct.

#13 ·
Hi guys,
Wondering if any of you guys out there can point out a fit fault or remedy.
I'm experiencing pressure build around my elbow, any advice on a starting point to tweek?

A professional bike fitting might solve all, but i just came back riding after several years and bought a completely new bike.
It took me a while before to point out discomfort vs. weak core on my previous bike (a 26 HT) but with a 29er it's completely diffrent.

I'm 5.10 with a 31 inseam moderate long torso on a Med EMD9 currently on a 710 riser 90mm 6degree stem 0 spacer. Reach feels ok and i'm happy how the bike feels, just after long rides 50Km or so i occasionally feel numb or sore around the elbows, back strains are felt when i run heavy on gears and on the sadle long climbs but i have a feeling that's mostly due to the long lazy hybernation where the core is not as strong as it used to be, or maybe i'm pushing hard to get the speed i use to ride before.

any input are most welcomed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.