Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Hope Pro Evo with Flow EX- spoke length

7K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  alecd 
#1 ·
Hello,
I would like to build a set of wheels over the winter for myself.
The hubs I will be using are the Hope Pro II Evo (20mm & 150mm) and the rims will be the new Flow EX.
I have used a spoke calculator which suggested the following spoke length for a 3x pattern.

Front
Drive Side- 260.6
Non-Drive Side- 258.9

Rear
Drive Side- 259.9
Non-Drive Side- 259.2

Unfortunately, the spoke calculator only had the hub information for the Hope Pro II and not the newer Pro II Evo. I have not been able to find out if the two hubs have the same measurements.

Are the spoke lengths correct and can I use 260mm length spokes for the whole wheel?
Thank you,
Eric

See less See more
#3 ·
BW,
Thank you for your response.
The measurement that I used was Stan's ERD (538) as I do not have any of the parts at this point in time.
I would like to order all the parts at once.
Not looking forward to the headache I get from building the wheels if it is worse than trying to find all the proper information that I need to order everything!

Eric

#5 ·
Be very careful using hub and/or rim measurements out of databases.
The Pro 2 EVO and Pro 2 have the same dimensions. It's the same shell with slightly modified internals.
Given the popularity of your selected combo, though, I'd say you're pretty safe. 260mm all around will work, but you're going to have to work a little harder to get dish right off the bat.

#6 ·
Hello all,
Thank you once again for your responses, they are really helpful.
I spoke with a shop via email and was told to use:

Front:
260mm Drive side
261mm Disc Side

Rear:
260mm Both sides

I am guessing the 261mm would make life a little easier when attempting my first wheel build?

Eric

#11 ·
I think you would be correct about CRC prices. I don't see to be able to find the spokes on Dan's Comp. I only find BMX ones. I have also seen the Sapim spokes for $0.90/spoke from BikeHubStore.com.
The Sapin Race spokes are about the same as the DT Swiss Champion? The Champion spokes are $12.73/18 at CRC.
Sometimes bike part shopping gives me a headache but I do love it.
Thanks everyone for their help.

Eric

#13 ·
lanceuppercut,

That is an amazing price, thank you.
On another note, can someone explain the difference between 12 gauge and 14 gauge spokes. I am assuming there is a size difference, but is there another difference that would change how a wheel would be built?
Eric

#14 ·
Just received an order of 70 sapim double butted (race) spokes with nipples from Dans Comp for $32 shipped, next day! Plus they threw in a pretty cool BMX calender for my shop!

The smaller the gauge number the bigger the diameter. 14 gauge is 2.0mm and 12 gauge is 2.6mm

Typically straight guage spokes are easier to build with for first time wheel builders, but I havenet had any problems building with double butted spokes, but i take my time and make sure i am watching for wind up.

#18 ·
Went with the silver spokes. if i could have found gold brass nipples i would have bought the black spokes. i am lacing a ud matte carbon rim to gold pro 2 evos.

Great guys to deal with at Dans Comp super friendly on the phone and great price including nipples (even tho im not using them) on some very good spokes that typically go for double the cost. shipping is a flat 8 bucks and some change if you stay under x amoount of money.

just on a side note i found 100 count box of dt swiss hexagon brass nipples on amazon for like 10 bucks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.