Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

All parts in the house, 1 last decision (I hope :)

1K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  jrm 
#1 ·
Hi all,
finally, after 4 months of reading forums a collecting parts I am ready to build a 650b SC TRc conversion.
My last question, Rockshox Monarch RT3 2013 vs Fox RP23 Kashima 2012.
This is a orange/black/white frame with stock Fox Kashima RP23.
My riding weight is around 145-150lbs. So-Cal trail riding.
There seems to be lot of riders swapping the RP23 for a RT3.
Is it worth doing it? Or should I rather send the RP23 to be custom tuned?

How about Cane Creek DB AIR? Anybody running it? Is the weight penalty worth it?
Cane Creek DBAIR Suspension | Double Barrel Rear Shock

Can the travel of the Rockshox and Cane creek shock be adjusted as easily as teh Fox RP23?

Thanks!

#4 ·
also look at the x-fusion shocks.. my next shock will probably come from them with their custom tune.
I'd second this. Call and talk with them.

Why dont you ride it & see how you like the RP23. If it lacks something then replace it
...and second this as well. Seems it should work pretty darn well with the stock shock?

#5 ·
I'd second this. Call and talk with them.

...and second this as well. Seems it should work pretty darn well with the stock shock?
I'll check the x-fusion.
The stock rp23 on my Tallboy was terrible, never firm enough, never plush enough when I needed it to be. I could not even tell if I was in pro-pedal, there was no difference in feeling.
It has improved significantly after I got it PUSHED.
So I am a bit skeptical about the rp23.
I thought it would be easier to sell brand new...

#8 ·
Thanks man, that was really helpful.
There are many people here not satisfied with Fox RP23 performance on VPP bikes. Just look for SC Tallboy owners. Including myself. The shock was terrible, never firm enough, never plush enough when I expected it to be, I couldn't even tell a difference between pro-pedal and fully open setting. It got significantly better after I got it PUSHed.
Honestly, I think that fox is a great company but their products are overrated sometimes. There is lot of other options out there, which are either cheaper or better performing.
So your argument about "98.89%" means nothing to me…
I always like to find the best option and it can take time, it seems a better alternative as oppose to trying to fix result of wrong decision later.
I have another bike to ride, so I am not in hurry.
Just ignore my posts, please.

#9 ·
Actually that's not true... maybe at the high price points Fox dominates but at the price levels most riders buy at, they're more likely to get a Rockshox or X-fusion air shock, or even something from SR-Suntour.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.