Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

10+ years on my RFX.

2K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  AlienRFX 
#1 ·
And now my 01 RFX apears to have a brother on the way, 5spot frames are on sale right now.:eek:

#9 ·
Called up Turner today, and spoke with Jarret. Seems with my axle to crown length the integrated top with external bottom is the way to go. At that I asked them if they could supply and install the correct Cane Creek 40 headset. After they checked the warehouse they called me back and said they had the correct headset instock minus the conversion base plate.

However they already did the research on the correct baseplate and provided the partnumber. So they are supplying the headset and installing it for me only for the cost of the parts, before they ship the frame out, and I've got the conversion baseplate on the way from Universal Cycles.

Woot! Turner rocks!

#12 ·
Called up Turner today, and spoke with Jarret. Seems with my axle to crown length the integrated top with external bottom is the way to go. At that I asked them if they could supply and install the correct Cane Creek 40 headset. After they checked the warehouse they called me back and said they had the correct headset instock minus the conversion base plate.

However they already did the research on the correct baseplate and provided the partnumber. So they are supplying the headset and installing it for me only for the cost of the parts, before they ship the frame out, and I've got the conversion baseplate on the way from Universal Cycles.

Woot! Turner rocks!
Yep, with a 140 or 150 fork on the Spot it should have an external lower cup. If you go to a Marz 55, Fox 36 or Lyrik at 160 than an inset/zero stack lower is perfect. Sounds like they set you up right.

Enjoy the new bike:thumbsup:

#13 ·
Finally got it tuned and dialed in mechanically, the lower linkage bolts were slightly undertorqued, though they may have settled after riding the bike around, so check yer bolts after the first ride.

There was a light knocking noise while cycling halfway through the travel, while just messing around with it. That ended up being the clutch mechanism slipping/sticking on my rear derailuer, so I'm gonna try and get some of shimano's proper lube for the clutch.
And I may have some tweaking to do on the FD cable routing mainly on the bend to the seat tube.

I also notice that my 5 Spot has more chain growth than my RFX with either the HL or TNT rear ends, though this is evidence of the rearward axlepath and should help smooth things out over the roots. Luckily since the chainstay is shorter my RFX I didn't need to lengthen my chain any.

It looks like if I want to get a ride in this weekend to get it on the trail I'm gonna have to charge up my lights and go for a night ride tomorrow.

#15 ·
Holy **** Batman!

Dave and Dave are ****ing Wizards! I love the voodoo they do.

Got the spot out to the trail today, I can actually stand up and hammer and make it count now! Not only that, the DW spot makes better use of it's travel than my RFX does, and square edged bumps are soaked up better despite using the airshock.

I dig the fact that the chainstays are an inch shorter than the RFX's. On berms that felt wonky and disjointed with the RFX, the Spot just rails the **** out of em. The Spot is also much stiffer torsionally and the RFX was no slouch in that department.

I'm 5-10.5" and went with a large, I'm glad I did as for some reason even though the top tube on the spot is supposed to be longer than my 19.5 RFX the cockpit on the Spot feels slightly more compact. Maybe it's the seat angle, not really sure. The Thomson seatpost I'm using was slipping on me during the ride, so what kinda torque are ya'll using on the seatpost clamp? I was running 60 inch lbs, is more torque ok,or should I get some friction paste? I was using a Salsa qr seatclamp on the RFX so that is why I ask.

I'd post pics but don't have a camera.

#16 ·
Holy **** Batman!

Dave and Dave are ****ing Wizards! I love the voodoo they do.

Got the spot out to the trail today, I can actually stand up and hammer and make it count now! Not only that, the DW spot makes better use of it's travel than my RFX does, and square edged bumps are soaked up better despite using the airshock..

I'd post pics but don't have a camera.
Awesome! Had a lovely ride myself today! The DW really shines when you want to lay down the power. Wi no sacrifice on the descents.

Bobo

#20 ·
Ok, another question I have. Is the 2013 CTD evolution shock that the 2012 spots are coming with shipped with a volume reducer installed?

I'm used to coil shocks and am running the Marzocchi 44 RC3 Ti fork wich is coil sprung. Assuming the CTD evo came with a volume reducer installed will removing it give a more linear spring rate?

And does the leverage ratio/curve on the DW spots play nice with coil shocks? If so I may send my Vanilla RC to get serviced/pushed and mess around with that on the Spot just because I can and it's always nice to have a backup shock available.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.