Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Lighter wheelset and tubeless help!

2K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  SHIVER ME TIMBERS 
#1 ·
Right, so I really need to shed some weight off my DH bike and I'm slowly going to upgrade it, eventually getting new forks and frame.
Currently I have sun ringle abbah lawwill hubs (Heavy and the rear is a bit trashed) and a Mavic EX721 on the front and 729 on the back. I really want to get a new, lighter wheelset but I don't want to compromise the strength of the wheel.
I was thinking about getting a hope pro2 laced to some ex729/721/823 But I don't know which rim to go for! I only weigh about 60kg but I have managed to put a small dent in my rear 729 already (yes, poor riding).
I was thinking about going tubeless to save some weight and didn't know whether the 823 is worth it? I have heard it's not as strong as the 729 and it has issues with the spokes.
So potentially to save the most weight I am tempted to get the 721 and use yellow tape and stans (never done tubeless before).
I run 2.5" maxxis minions dual ply, and also want a good profile, not sure if the 721 is potentially too narrow.
So a lot of questions i know!! Basically, I'm stuck and i just want some advice!
(I do DH and FR, never got a puncture on my dh tubes! So i'm conscious about the cons of tubeless)

See less See more
#5 ·
hmm, i think i'm straying towards the 721 cause it's lightweight but apparently just as strong as other rims like the 729. I want something reliable and i don't want to be able just about get away with it, i want it to survive everything I throw at it, including the alps when i go in the summer. Hope hoops do a decent deal with the 721's so really close to getting them at the moment and just trying tubeless when i get them.

#6 ·
A bud of mine has been using 721's tubeless with Maxxis 2.5 DH casing tires for years trouble free.
I have been on 823's tubeless for years trouble free.
His wheels are lighter than mine and we use the same tires, spokes, and hubs.

#9 ·
I second Hope Pro 2 Evo laced to EX 823. Running mine with tubes since I'm sketched out on tubeless for DH. Best luck I've had with a rim. I'm not a smooth rider. Weigh over 70kg and like to go big whenever possible. Have cased a bunch of stuff and plowed through rock gardens with good luck so far. Only complaint is getting tires with a tight bead on/off is kind of a pain due to profile of rim. My understanding is that the 721 rims are a bit less durable, but keep those tires pumped up and you should be alright.

#11 · (Edited)
I just bought a set of Hope Pro2 EVO's laced to Mavic 721's built with Sapim Race spokes and brass nipples....
The Hope's engagement is not as great as my Hadley hubs but they are still nice hubs..
The EVO's are much easier to convert than the regular Hope Pro2 hubs..
No tools required(ok maybe some pliers) to convert from 10mm thru/12mm thru/Standard QR, you only need to replace the axle if you choose 10mm bolt on...Same thing for the front NO tools required(ok maybe a small flat screwdriver) :)

ok mine are set up with 10mm thru rear and 20mm front and here's what they weigh..
front 950 grams...rear 1,070 grams

pretty light for a fairly strong wheelset:thumbsup:

for comparison my old set was Transition Revolution 32..front weighed 1,060 and the rear weighed 1,310 so i was happy with the weight i saved :)

p.s. wiggle has the best prices on these wheels...$362 shipped to USA:eekster:
using a 10% coupon....ordered on a tues and they were delivered on saturday:thumbsup:

#14 ·
Hope hubs are over rated! Yes, they are quality and sealed well but I keep seeing them mentioned as a light hub. They're not very light. Also their 150 rear hub is just a 135 hub with a different axle so it has narrower flange spacing than every other 150 hub. The ones I've felt have a lot of friction/seal drag, they just feel slow. In the front nothing touches the price/weight of Atomlab Pimplite. In back DT240 is the best, light and reliable, but kinda pricy.

Rims in order of weight/burliness: Flow Ex, Spank Subrosa, Spank Spike.

#16 ·
Well living in the UK sealing is one of the most important things to me. I currently have a sun ringle hub and the bearings (even thought they themselves have a rubber seal) are essentialy directly exposed to the elements because one of the cones is replaceable.
I did consider the flow rim, but I had read lots of reviews about it being overpriced for what it is, and that they easily flatspot/dent.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.