Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Forte Tsali

11K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  Todd B 
#1 ·
#2 ·
I went ahead and bought a 26X 2.2 , it weighed in at 598 grams on my scale.It only measures 2.02 wide and about 1.95 tall so it looks pretty tall for what is more like most 2.1 tires. I got it for the back of my Sugar 2 as I wanted something that was fast and fit in the carbon stays without a chance of rubbing once things dry out here. Was 19.99 internet price which the local store honored and then with team performance points it only set me back $5.00.

#3 ·
I actually got a pair several weeks ago and was pleasantly surprised. The tires are fast rolling and pretty solid overall. There's not much bite when cornering, but once you get used to them it's not much of an issue. I paid $14.99 a tire at Performance. Not to shabby!

#5 ·
A bud put one on the rear of his Rip 9. 29x2.2 Weighed 650g on my scale, sealed up tubelees easy on Stans Flow hoops. So far so good. We ride rocky central Texas trails, sidewalls have held up, no burping and hooks up well on dust over loose over hard ( it is freakin dry and crumbly here lately). He charges pretty hard. Running around 21psi. For $24 I bought one as well, just havent mounted it yet.
For price vs weight vs durability it seems to have some promise.
I don't think I'd like it as a front tire.

#7 ·
on the back of my Yeti Asr-5

I put one the rear of my Yeti ASR-5 it worked good in the dry. Fast rolling and pretty light for a budget tire. It has been raining here in Northern California and the tire is not so good on wet terrain. It actually sheds mud fairly well, but tends to float on mud as opposed to biting and it does not stick to wet rocks and roots. I know this was not the tire's intended use, but I thought I would add my $.02. Getting a little taller knobby for winter riding and switch back this spring.

#8 ·
I just bought a set of the Forte Tsali tires at Performance. I had WTB Velociraptors on for the muddy season here in NORCAL but it was only nasty for a few weeks. I used them for the first time today on the Coastal/East Mt Tam trail. It was loose over hard pack and the tires handled great. I was a little worried about my side walls but they did fine. The tire is a little soft but I don't mind that on my hardtail Kona. I recommend these tires for loose over hard and hardpack.

I gained about 2 gears going up comparred to my Velociraptors but that was to be expected. Great rolling tire though!

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

#9 ·
I just bought a set of the Forte Tsali tires at Performance. I had WTB Velociraptors on for the muddy season here in NORCAL but it was only nasty for a few weeks. I used them for the first time today on the Coastal/East Mt Tam trail. It was loose over hard pack and the tires handled great. I was a little worried about my side walls but they did fine. The tire is a little soft but I don't mind that on my hardtail Kona. I recommend these tires for loose over hard and hardpack.

I gained about 2 gears going up comparred to my Velociraptors but that was to be expected. Great rolling tire though!

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
Great!. things have just dried enough here to mount mine so next ride I can give my feedback,

#11 · (Edited)
I finally got to ride the Tsali on the rear of my 02 Sugar . :thumbsup: The tire is a fast roller and disappeared under me. With a Captain up front I had zero complaints. With my Performance points and the sale Performance was running this is the best $5.00 tire I could hope for. Judging by it's performance on the rear and other comments on this thread I want to see how it works on the front. I have my doubts as most front tires here (southern Idaho) need to have a open pattern to bite in the loose over hard conditions.

#12 · (Edited)
Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Automotive tire Bicycle tire
Very impressed with this tire. Rolls just as fast as a Conti Race King I had but at 1/3rd the price, forget about the Conti now. Hooks up very well in dry and also had mimimum slipping going up a wet, pureed limestone hill (slime), Moonscape for those who know Alafaya in Fl. It's a nice tall tire for a 2.2, unlilke others that fall under their labeled measurements. Aired up tubeless 1st shot and has not lost air yet. The tread pattern is very similar to the Maxxis Larsen TT. I have this paired with a Forte Pisgah 2.3 up front. So far this is the best tire setup I've used bar-none and I've been through a bunch. It also does'nt hurt that these tires are a meer fraction of the cost of name brand tires. MTBR needs to open a review tab for these tires.

#13 ·
These tires are really fast as a set. Just pulled off a Ground Control and mounted Tsali f/r. Sticks darn good when you drop the front pressure down to 22ish and just fly's on the hardpack. We have hero dirt here so I can't give feedback on loose over hardpack until it drys some. Even at 22 pounds the front held good shape . I can imagine in the 29er version these would be a amazing cheap tire.

#14 ·
Just paired a Tsali in rear with a Pisgah in front as others on here have done, blown away with this set of tires, especially for the price. The Tsali climbs great and stays glued during standing climbs where my old Maxxis Aspen's would break loose. The Pisgah up front resolved the washing out issue I was having on my fast singletrack runs. This is my new "go-to" tire set!

#15 ·
+1 on the Tsali 29x2.2.

So far rode them in OH and PA on pavement (rain), dry hardpack, rocks, and loose and was pleasantly surprised with the bang I got for my buck. They are light enough, roll easily, grip well, and tolerated innumerable sidewall scuffs on the rocks at Moraine SP in PA (almost peeled off the external label).

I am running with tubes around 25psi, front and rear, and even as a front it was working pretty well. They are not mud tires, but shed well. I would run the tread backwards on the rear. We'll see how long they last.

I have a Pisgah on my shelf for when it gets muddy.

-F

#16 ·
I just mounted this tire on my ride today after my Stan's Raven had it's sidewall chewed up by a median...yeah I had the walk of shame back to the car, but that's another story...lol!

It looks like it is going to be a good preforming tire based on what I've read so far and I agree with BMC FS that MTBR needs to open a tab for these tires to be reviewed under.

Just My $0.02,

Tessai

#18 ·
It's really not a bad tire, unless you're really small/short/low weight like me... I'd keep it was a front and put a 2.0" tire in my rear. Otherwise, it grips on hardpack, loose, and lighter and medium technical conditions pretty well, but I'd give up the Tsali's for some Panaracer Fire XC pros from Japan.

#19 ·
I ran these for a while and really liked them, 20 bucks a tire on sale is a great deal for a light, fast, tire. I ran it tubeless with about 25 lbs pressure. After about 300 miles I noticed a very regular breaking down of the side walls. The cords were showing through all the way around both sides of the tire at a very very regular 3/4 inch distance. After a while I started losing air overnight, It was leaking out one of the worn spots. I think the sidewall flexes at 25 lbs and it just wears out ( Im 155 lbs)
I can live with it, I bought a Tsali and a Pisgah on sale for 20 per tire and I am good for another few months.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.