Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Looking for something new

1K views 18 replies 16 participants last post by  K3N 
#1 ·
I'm looking for a new trail to ride. I usually ride South Mountain, hawes, gold canyon, or McDowell. I have been out to FINS a couple times, and I've also ride Black Canyon Trail. I'm looking for something new that is not crazy far. I like tech and enjoy climbing as well as defending. I live in Tempe.

Any recommendations?

#3 ·
White tanks in Waddell are great. Take the Mesquite trail up for a great climb all the way to either Goat Camp (out and back) or up to a small loop on Willow Canyon, back down Mesquite. Hard climb, good reward.

#6 ·
Out in the North Valley (You passed it all on the way to BCT) you have Deem Hills (Lots of elevation change, and recent rains have made it a bit more technical, but GREAT riding), Sonora Preserve (Lots of elevation change and not a lot of tech) and Thunderbird (Great riding, but lots of hikers) .... I would be willing to ride with you if you want to hit one of these, I ride one of them about 3 times a week...

#9 ·
If you're willing to drive to the BCT, Estrella or White Tanks then surely you can make the drive out east (US60 east) to the Picketpost Trailhead for some AZT sweetness. South from the trailhead is the more popular route, done as an out-n-back so you get to choose how much climbing is done. Personal preference is to ride out 14.5 miles to a saddle with enormous views & the start of the 6 mile descent to the Gila River. This is part of Chad's Top 10 list, so you know it's good and it's closer than you think.

#19 ·
Picket post is awesome for sure, but keep in mind that 14-15 miles out then back is around 4k ft climbing. Took me and a friend just over 5hrs. That was with a 20 min break at about the 15 mile point at the saddle. The scenery is worth the effort though.

#15 ·
Most people on bikes seem to go CW from the park entrance. I live just down the street and ride this quite frequently, so I try to mix it up... Lots to ride there. I did about 16 miles and 1700ft of climbing without leaving the park today.

If it is not enough, you can always mix in a loop around Pyramid Peak across the canal or take the canal trail and cross the I-17 using the new bridge and ride Sonoran Mountain Preserve or.... ride south on the road to 55th & Pinnacle Peak and ride Thunderbird Park... :)

:thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.