Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Gambrill State Park Black Friday?

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  EABiker 
#1 ·
Going to be in Sharpsburg and was thinking of heading to Gambrill to do a bit of riding on Black Friday? Lots of questions: Is there hunting allowed? Will it be safe to ride there the Friday after Thanksgiving? Anyone have a decent trail map? What kind of riding can I expect? All help appreciated.

#2 ·
Hunting is never allowed in Gambrill, but might be in the neighboring Frederick watershed (don't know the schedule off the top of my head). Even if there is hunting, wear some safety orange and you'll be fine.

expect rocks. Lots of them. There is a map at the state park web site, there's also, I'm sure 1,000,000 of them on the gps sites. Yellow trail is what you're after. I like it clockwise.

#4 ·
The gf and I hit Gambrill Friday around 10:30. We ended up at the lot on Hamburg Rd due to some other directions we got from others we know who have ridden there. With the map we had from the state park site it was a little difficult to find our way around. We did all off the blue and red, and some other singletrack that didn't seem to be marked. We ended up by the towers on the top of Gambrill Park Rd and managed to find the yellow. But not being sure where we actually were on the trail itself, we just rode it, and let it take us where it went. After finishing it we figured out we did it counteclockwise. Some sections were hike a bike. But overall we had a great ride. We didn't take too many pics since we wanted to get in as much trail as possible. We'll definitely be back for more. It was a nice mix of rocks, roots, more rocks (coming from PA we are use to rocks), some ups and downs, and some stream crossings. A great day indeed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.