Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

4x tires (hans dampf evo snake skin + many others) ~$140 shipped bike-discount.de

3K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  mces 
#1 · (Edited)
4x tires schwalbe (hans dampf evo snake skin + others) ~$140 shipped bike-discount.de

4x tires (hans dampf evo snake skin + many others) ~$140 shipped bike-discount.de

U.S buyer here. Ordering from Germany so you are taking some risk on support headache. Nobody else I find comes remotely close in price. ~$33 (incorrect) each which is an insane deal compared to other stores. edit $39 each see update below

25.2 euro each
Schwalbe Hans Dampf Evo Snake Skin PaceStar 2,35" TL-Ready Faltreifen

update. My mistake. This is no longer true. They already deduct vat for USA buyers. (their prices will be lower when selecting shiping to USA in top right of site). Make sure to budget shipping costs in.
They will add 19.95 euro shipping charge,but then deduct their VAT (value added tax) which is included in the prices listed. This will be on the final receipt after you place your order. This vat deduction almost pays for the shipping charge.

P.S don't forget to get your road bike tires while you're at it. I forgot and regret it.

Here's my order confirmation email
Racing Ralph Performance ORC 2,25"
26 x 2,25 " / 559 x 57 mm 1 19,95 € 19,95 €
Racing Ralph Evo PaceStar 2,25" white TL-Ready folding
26 x 2,25 " / 559 x 57 mm 1 29,90 € 29,90 €
Hans Dampf Evo Snake Skin PaceStar 2,35" TL-Ready folding
26 x 2,35 " / 559 x 60 mm 1 34,90 € 34,90 €
Nobby Nic Evo PaceStar 2,25" TL-Ready folding
26 x 2,25 " / 559 x 57 mm 1 27,95 € 27,95 €

sum: 112,70€

+ freight cost 19,95 €
- VAT - 17,99 €

Total amount 114,66 €

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
bike-discount.de has some amazing ass prices but the one time I tried them recently didn't go well. It took nearly 2 months to get my package and severally delayed the bike I was building for my girl friend.They use DHL which is notoriously bad anyways so I knew I was in for it once I saw the shipping notice.

When I started noticing virtually no updates to the tracking, we contacted DHL-Germany via email. They immediately blame it on US Customs. When we call them out on their BS and reveal to them their very own tracking shows it has NOT even left Germany yet, they then say it must be lost in transit for x amount of days (something like 2.5 weeks) before an investigation can be opened but say the sender must do it. Also with each email response they made sure to remind us that they are not contractually obligated to deliver it within a time frame. :skep:

When asking bike-discount about it, they hide behind the language barrier and pass the buck to DHL saying we have to make a case with them. :rolleyes: This back and fourth bullsh!t... We eventually tried to just copy both parties in the thread to get them to talk to each other but they both ignore each other and only reply to us with their canned responses.

We surprisingly got our package but here's how it really went down:

-Ordered the wheelset 7/19 from discount.de
-DHL or bike-discount.de sat on it for several weeks (can't tell if bike-discount.de hadn't given it to DHL or DHL was just sitting on it and not moving the package along. Emails to both were ineffective as explained above).
-DHL tracking finally updates & claims it left to the US on 8/17 and was passed on to USPS.
USPS tracking said it arrived in the US on 9/2 (what, was it in an air plane for that long? Someone's lying. :skep: )
Wheels finally arrived on our doorstep on 9/10 via USPS after clearing customs.

I have nothing but good experiences from CRC so after reading positive feedback on mtbr bout this place i pulled the trigger. Needless to say, I wont be ordering from bike-discount.de again.

Buyer beware, ymmv.

#3 ·
sorry to hear you got such a huge pita. I received my order no problem. Given their prices are 50%, I figure I have more than a 50% chance to receive what I ordered, so it's worth the potential loss. If things go south, I'll dispute it with my credit card.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the seller is responsible for getting the product to you. (they choose which shipper to use and all).

#8 ·
Yah perhaps it's just a fluke. But there was another person on this site complaining about something similar that happen to him that I read after i purchased my wheels from them. While reading it I was thinking, "hope that doesn't happen to me!" And well... lol. :p I think they're fine if you don't have to contact them for shipping or warranty issues or a possible return.

Tires would definitely be a safer purchase. :thumbsup:

#7 ·
I recently scored a pair each of Nobby Nic and Hans Dampf snakeskin 29er tires this way for dramatically lower than US prices. I also like that the website makes clear which compound you are buying -- Pacestar v. Trailstar -- many dealers don't. Received the tires in California from Germany in less than a week.

#14 ·
I ordered on 09/30/12, shipped on 10/3 and last DHL update on 10/06 says

"The shipment will be transported to the destination country and, from there, handed over to the delivery organization. "

WTF
DHL is hit and miss. You'll probably end up getting it... just might take much longer than some of the others here who got it in only a week. Really wish bike-discount.de would stop using them - their prices on some stuff is unbelievable but maybe that's partly why... DHL being far cheaper? :skep: Who knows.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.